• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long has Dulles Town Center been posted no guns?

mourneblade

Today I headed into Dulles Town Center mall for lunch and noticed its list of regulations. Near the end it said no firearms open or concealed, permit or not. I don't remember ever seeing this rule. Does anyone know how long it has been up? I swear not long ago there was no sign...

FFchris

I've been there with my wife several times during the last two years and we've never seen a posting nor have we had any issues, but then again we enter through one of the anchor stores. Where did you see this list of regulations?

mourneblade

I've been there with my wife several times during the last two years and we've never seen a posting nor have we had any issues, but then again we enter through one of the anchor stores. Where did you see this list of regulations?

It's on the left side of the entrance by Vapiano's. It's rule 18 or so...

FFchris

After having dinner at Red Robin tonight, my wife and I stopped by DTC to do some shopping and track down the sign. We found it in the vestibule entrance by the Cheesecake Factory. I'm not sure how clear the pic is considering its from my cell phone, posted above head level with very small print on a glass like material. It's listed as their Code of Conduct which listed numerous "activities that are prohibited in the Mall and anywhere on the adjacent Mall Property". Item number 21 (second to last item listed) states "The possession or carrying of any firearms, simulated firearms, or weapons of any kind, openly or concealed, with or without permit;" At the bottom the following is posted: "If you fail or refuse to follow this code of conduct, you MAY (bolding and caps my emphasis) be asked to leave this mall property. If you fail or refuse to leave the property when requested to do so, we reserve the right to refer the situation to Loudoun County Sheriff Office, in which case you may be subject to prosecution for criminal trespass or other offenses."

Attachments

• 2011-09-14_18-38-25_713.jpg
    2011-09-14_18-38-25_713.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 353

PaulX608

But Fair Oaks Mall is posted, correct?

I work at Fair Oaks. There is a rule on their list that states that you can't wear anything that offends other shoppers. Through that rule, if someone complains, they can ask to to cover up or leave, I guess. We've had OCers in my store quite a few times and I've carried there when not working and never had any trouble.

Pocono

Campaign Veteran
I work at Fair Oaks. There is a rule on their list that states that you can't wear anything that offends other shoppers. Through that rule, if someone complains, they can ask to to cover up or leave, I guess. We've had OCers in my store quite a few times and I've carried there when not working and never had any trouble.

I was at a store the other day and saw one of those people covered in black from head to toe with only the whites of the eyes showing through - like a klan member but in reverse. I didn't run to management and tell them I was "offended" by their garb. If I did complain what do you think management's response would be? It's my choice to shop there or not. I wish the freedom haters would get it right.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I was at a store the other day and saw one of those people covered in black from head to toe with only the whites of the eyes showing through - like a klan member but in reverse. I didn't run to management and tell them I was "offended" by their garb. If I did complain what do you think management's response would be? It's my choice to shop there or not. I wish the freedom haters would get it right.

Excellent point. If I am in a public area and see someone covered head-to-toe with only eyes showing, rather than be offended, I may be "in fear of my life/safety." There are examples where male terrorists have worn such garb, pretending to be female, in order to avoid scrutiny. Being covered from head to toe gives the wearer the ability to disguise a bomb vest/belt or other weapon. How is law enforcement to discern that the person is armed or not?

All that is said somewhat tongue-in-cheek based on the same arguments that have been used by LEOs regarding legally armed citizens, i.e., "I need to see your ID to know if you're a felon," "I need to run your handgun's serial number to see if it's stolen," or "I need to pat you down for my (officer) safety."

Complicate this with the fact that that garb is worn for religious reasons, and you can begin to see how difficult it can get.I understand that we do not want to propose the violation of anyone's right to privacy, given that the diminishing of ANYone's rights may redound to affect OUR rights, but I have to admit that my situational awareness is heightened when in the presence of anyone so garbed.

Cmdr_Haggis

Today I headed into Dulles Town Center mall for lunch and noticed its list of regulations. Near the end it said no firearms open or concealed, permit or not. I don't remember ever seeing this rule. Does anyone know how long it has been up? I swear not long ago there was no sign...

My wife, kids, and I were at Dulles Town Center mall on Thursday last week. We came in by Macy's, stopped at Borders Express, and Hallmark. After leaving Hallmark, we were approached by a suited gentleman.

He introduced himself as the mall's manager of security. He informed me that open carry wasn't permitted in the mall and that it's posted, but he does understand that I have the right to carry. He conceded that the "fine print" is generally missed by everyone who come in the mall. He said that the mall is private property and his office had received "numerous" calls about me. As he explained, "so close to 9/11 people are scared." We had been in the mall for all of 15 minutes at that point. I specifically asked him if concealed carry was permitted and he replied that "what they don't know won't hurt" and that "you never know if you might help us some day." A Loudoun County deputy was with him which, I assume, is standard since there is a substation there in the mall. We were not asked to leave specifically, but he asked if I could cover it. I did so after again clarifying that it was OK to do so in the mall. Having a CHP provides me that flexibility in these situations. The deputy did not ask to see my CHP. The conversation turned to 2A, firearms, my SIG, 9/11, and other conversation. I mentioned OCDO and VCDL and that I might "blog about this." :)

Overall the encounter was pleasant and professional. Hands were shaken, and I asked the security manager and deputy for their cards. I apologized for the inconvenience and they each said it was no trouble. We bit farewell and stay safe.

Long story short. DTC does not permit open carry; you may likely get stopped. They might not permit concealed carry, but the security manager clearly stated that I could do so since "they don't know".

Yesterday we went back to the mall (it's a nice place to stroll the babies around) and I took advantage of my CHP.

Side comment: I can appreciate the desire to not patronize locations that aren't accommodating to open (and/or concealed) carry. If I'm by myself I steer clear, but with the family I don't rain on their parade. :lol:

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
They have been that way for years... I CC there.. I have OC'ed if I go to Dicks and use Dicks entrance into the store instead of the Mall, same at Vapiano's, etc. Most Loudoun Sheriff Deputies have been given (issued?) my Open carry cards too.

Jonton

I worked in Dulles Town Center for a little over 4 years (Ritz Camera, The Picture People, JCPenney Portrait Studio). Most of the security guards know me fairly well, as well as most of mall management and Dulles LCSO guys. Ritz had a company policy banning employee firearms, but nothing clearly stated regarding customers'. The Picture People had a policy against using real or toy guns as props in a photo (exceptions were made for cowboy costumes during halloween season), but we had cops in on several occasion for photos in their uniforms and duty gear (including the sheriff on two occasions).

However the portrait studio's policy (not owned by JCPenney, but by Lifetouch Inc.) was to call the police if anyone (other than LE) entered the studio with a firearm. A bit extreme, I'd say. I had only begun carrying a gun just a few months before leaving my 2 year position at the studio, and would occasionally carry a holstered, unloaded gun inside my bag, which then was locked high on a shelf in a closet (to which only I had a key) within my sight, during my shift. This was only if I were not able to return home to change after my shift, but it would have certainly been a fire-able offense.

Eventually I would like to sit down with mall management or the property owner (Lerner Corporation) to discuss their "Rule #21".