• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Drops Murder Charge Because Shooter Might Have Acted in Self Defense

2a4all

I thought this story was quite interesting.

HAMPTON — The Hampton Commonwealth's Attorney's Office on Monday dropped all charges in a 4-year-old pending murder case.
Louis H. Haynesworth, 33, formerly of Lassiter Drive, had faced murder and gun charges in the July 2007 death of Rodann Lee Ford, 30, of Kecoughtan Road.
The move to drop the charges came less than three weeks after Judge Wilford Taylor Jr. declared a mistrial just before trial.
Taylor called the mistrial on Aug. 24 after several jurors were removed from a jury pool for saying they wouldn't have sympathy for a drug dealer — such as Ford — killed in the course of dealing. Several raised their hands to the question that such a drug dealer "got what he deserved."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-murder-case-dropped-0913-20110912,0,3611304.story

TFred

If I recall correctly, it seems we have discussed here before that eligibility for "self-defense" goes away if you are committing a crime.

This would seem to get fairly close to that line from the newspaper account, that the deceased approached the guy who was a known drug-dealer, to essentially somewhat forcefully ask him to expand his product line. (An offer he can't refuse?)

Seems to me that it could have gone either way.

TFred

jnojr

I was reading "CA" as "California", and thought WTF? The state of CA would go ahead and charge murder probably even if it was clear-cut self-defense!