• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in Janesville Wal-mart, Gander, Petco.

Cory

Last weekend I decided to venture out into Janesville and OC while I did a little shopping. I started out in Gander Mountain because my wife gave me some extra money to pick up cat-litter and some groceries and I thought it would be a good idea to use that money for an awesome new flashlight instead. The trip through Gander was totally uneventful and I bought an awesome LED Mag-Light that looks really cool next to my XD40. Next, I went to Wal-Mart. I received a few "strange" looks from people in there, but only one person really made a big deal out of it. There was a younger woman in the store who spotted my pistol and decided to loudly announce to her acquaintance... "LOOK WHAT HE GOT! LOOK WHAT HE GOT! OH MY GOSH, LOOK IT... LOOK IT", while pointing at my pistol. I really wanted to say something to her because she was acting like a complete idiot, but I just ignored her and moved on to another part of the store. After Wal-Mart, I went into Petco to spend the remaining balance of the cat-litter/grocery money on something cool for my dog. Nobody said anything in there, but the check-out guy acted kind of nervous. Maybe he was just new or something, but I got the feeling he was pretty uncomfortable with the situation. I just smiled and made a little small talk and he seemed to chill out a little. I got my dog one of those toys that's a fake duck and it's head is connected to a springy rope so you can pull it back and fire it across the yard. He likes it. Overall, it was a good experience.

bmwguy11

Only been doing OC for a couple months now. Most people don't even notice. It's astounding at how little attention people pay to others around them. Most people are totally oblivious. I will rarely catch someone look down at my hip at the pistol, but I have yet to have anyone make a fuss about it. I do sometimes get extra "can i help you find anything today?" attention from store employees, but that's it.

protias

Minus the one moron displaying disorderly conduct, sounds like a good day.

Carry on! :banana:

BROKENSPROKET

Only been doing OC for a couple months now. Most people don't even notice. It's astounding at how little attention people pay to others around them. Most people are totally oblivious. I will rarely catch someone look down at my hip at the pistol, but I have yet to have anyone make a fuss about it. I do sometimes get extra "can i help you find anything today?" attention from store employees, but that's it.

I used to get that at Best Buy, for awhile. Then they started to ingnore me, unless I asked for help.

MKEgal

Cory said:
There was a younger woman in the store who spotted my pistol and decided to loudly announce to her acquaintance... "LOOK WHAT HE GOT! LOOK WHAT HE GOT! OH MY GOSH, LOOK IT... LOOK IT", while pointing at my pistol.
protias said:
Minus the one moron displaying disorderly conduct, sounds like a good day.
What he said.
Wonder what the police would have done with her?
(And why didn't anyone call her in for DC, public display of stupidity, overuse of mouth...?)

But bmwguy11 is right - most people don't notice.
I was at lunch w/ someone from the WI forum a couple weeks ago (someone who should know better), & he didn't even notice. At least, not until another diner asked him a question when I was away from the table.
[Not mentioning any names, but you know who you are and yes, I'm going to keep razzing you about it. :)]

And yesterday I went into the Girl Scout office here in Milwaukee to buy something at the shop. AFAIK nobody noticed, certainly nobody ran away screaming, & the cops didn't show up.