Thread: Recording "public officials"

Post Recording "public officials"

With all the news/videos of police & public interactions gone bad, and with Illinois being one of the states that requires mutual consent, I've been looking at this statute.
    I copied out of the ILCS reference manual at the local library and, now armed with the correct codes, searched it up online.
    Here is the link to 720 ILCS 5/14-1
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...eqEnd=32700000

I have it on a 7 page Word document but it is 60 kb and I can't upload it. If anybody would like an "easier to read" version than the online one, PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a copy.

Needless to say, it isn't easy to read. I have spotted a couple of sections that MIGHT make it possible for us to record police encounters, but I would like to have others review it and see if they come up with the same sections.

Well, perhaps that and the fact that an Illinois state judge just overruled a lessor judge on the issue. The state judge said prohibiting recording of public officials in public is itself unconstitutional.

Check this site - this news is out there in two other threads beside this third one.
    Haven't been a member of the NRA since 1991. Get a clue.

"One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."

Thumbs up New format

Somebody at another forum was kind enough to convert this from Word to a PDF for me as I don't have that capability on this system.
    In light of the recent court ruling against this law's constitutionality, this may not be necessary. Problem is, we all know how Illinois politicians just HATE to let go of a bad law.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 09-27-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    "... Somebody at another forum was kind enough to convert this from Word to a PDF for me as I don't have that capability on this system. ...
    If I may suggest ... you're probably using a Micro$oft OS which pretty much "locks" you into using their software ONLY. Consider going what is known as "dual boot", which is to say, don't purchase another Micro$oft OS or other Micro$oft softwares, rather down load a Linux system such as Fedora or the like. These operating systems are available to you FREE of charge and in most cases are so far superior to the Micro$oft software you're currently using, you'll never go back to Micro$oft; YES most Linux operating systems, which are FREE, will read just about every Micro$oft software you can think of, such as the problem you just mentioned.

tyc

Quote Originally Posted by tyc View Post
    If I may suggest ... you're probably using a Micro$oft OS which pretty much "locks" you into using their software ONLY. Consider going what is known as "dual boot", which is to say, don't purchase another Micro$oft OS or other Micro$oft softwares, rather down load a Linux system such as Fedora or the like. These operating systems are available to you FREE of charge and in most cases are so far superior to the Micro$oft software you're currently using, you'll never go back to Micro$oft; YES most Linux operating systems, which are FREE, will read just about every Micro$oft software you can think of, such as the problem you just mentioned.

tyc

You've never heard of a program called PDF Creator? Besides, what does Linux have to do with making PDFs? It can't do it any better than Microsoft.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Download libreoffice, it's free, reads about all document formats and exports to PDF

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

System is 5-6 years old, with a single core processor and only a gig of RAM. While I can change the RAM, there isn't much else I can load on the system at this time.
    Yes, I have heard of PDF Creator but as I would only be using it one or two times, why bother. It isn't worth it to me.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 02-03-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Something called "SkimWords" is adding a shopping link.

Red face Law declared "unconstitutional"!!!

WELL!! You know what must have frozen over!
    An Illinois judge has declared Illinois odious anti-recording" law as unconstitutional in a case from December 2009.
    What's of even MORE interest is that this is a COOK COUNTY judge!

A Cook County Judge declared the state’s eavesdropping law unconstitutional Friday, and a state lawmaker hopes the ruling provides momentum for her push to change the law.
    Judge Stanley J. Sacks issued the ruling in the case of Christopher Drew, a Chicago artist who was charged with felony eavesdropping after he recorded his Dec. 2, 2009, arrest on State Street by Chicago Police.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...itutional.html

There is a 2-page write-up at PCWorld.com that has even more information.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/25120...nl_dnx_h_crawl

Considering that this is in Rahm's "backyard" in one of the most reprehensible Democrat strongholds in the country, what is the liklihood that they are already planning on some manner to embarrass Judge Sacks and force him to retire? Or worse.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 03-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

With all the news/videos of police & public interactions gone bad, and with Illinois being one of the states that requires mutual consent, I've been looking at this statute.
    [snip...]
    Needless to say, it isn't easy to read. I have spotted a couple of sections that MIGHT make it possible for us to record police encounters, but I would like to have others review it and see if they come up with the same sections.
    In January of this year (2012) the U.S. Dept. of Justice weighed in on this question. Their brief was a breath of fresh air.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Rapgood. Good news like this is always welcome.
    Those of us in the 12 states that "resist" police recordings should keep a copy of this handy incase they need it. With the various cases cited in the brief (why do they call these "long-winded" legal documents "briefs"?) would possibly be a help if somebody needs a lawyer in one of these situations.
    Nice going!

Court ruling raises more questions about state eavesdropping law

There has been another court ruling against Illinois' ban on police recordings. The article was by By DAVID THOMAS (david.thomas@sj-r.com) of The State Journal-Register. He wrote:
    Questions about Illinois’ law against audio recording of police remain after a federal appeals court this week declared it unconstitutional.
    The rest of the article is at: http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x856...ruling-praised.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Somebody at another forum was kind enough to convert this from Word to a PDF for me as I don't have that capability on this system.
    In light of the recent court ruling against this law's constitutionality, this may not be necessary. Problem is, we all know how Illinois politicians just HATE to let go of a bad law.
    http://www.openoffice.org/ <--- the tool has been found.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Exclamation More good news!

There was a news story on Monday that the SCOTUS had declined to hear an appeal from an Illinois State's Atty. to rescind the injuction from a lower court about recording. This lets stand the lower court's injunction barring enforcement of the "anti-eavesdropping" statute.
    Here's the link to the story.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...ing-of-police/

Keep those caneras and audio recorders handy people!

There was a news story on Monday that the SCOTUS had declined to hear an appeal from an Illinois State's Atty. to rescind the injuction from a lower court about recording. This lets stand the lower court's injunction barring enforcement of the "anti-eavesdropping" statute.
    Here's the link to the story.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...ing-of-police/

Keep those caneras and audio recorders handy people!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

gun or freedom lovers need to LEAVE Illinois!

why support those jerks with your tax money?