• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else have issues with door to door magazine salesman in CT?

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Hello fellow Nutmeggers,

I know it's not specific to open carry, but anyone have any problems with door-to-door magazine salesman in CT?

We've had "mag crews" come around the neighborhood the past few years trying to sell magazine subscriptions. Tonight I had a particularly aggressive one have words with me in front of my house after I had told him I wasn't interested, thank you very much. As I was armed and therefore all about de-escalation, I cut the "conversation" short by politely yet firmly asking him to leave the area or I would have the police come talk to him. He complied, rather quickly I might add, as he couldn't produce a door-to-door solicitors permit as required by my town (to get one, you need a background check).

One of my neighbors, who was (until he very recently retired) a police officer, has chased a couple of these guys off of the street (badge in hand). He said that most of them are just casing houses/cars to come back later to break in and steal. We've had quite a few instances of property stolen out of vehicles on our street. We also recently had someone open one of my neighbors front doors (which wasn't locked) and stole their wallet right off of a table by the front door - while they were home, I might add.

I suppose next time I will phone the police and ask them to send a couple officers out if the salesman can't produce a valid permit (I wish I knew what a valid one looked like - I'll have to ask the local PD for an example of a valid permit).

I'm all about giving someone the benefit of the doubt (and I hate to sound paranoid) but most of these guys make my sixth sense tingle if you know what I mean (especially when they can't provide a valid sellers permit). Anyone have the same issues with these guys?

Sheesh, what a nice way to ruin dinner with my wife and kids... :(

Badger Johnson

Door with peephole, FTW.

Why open the door to someone if you aren't expecting a friend to come over? I think sometimes we're just too darn polite to people who don't deserve it.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Door with peephole, FTW.

Why open the door to someone if you aren't expecting a friend to come over? I think sometimes we're just too darn polite to people who don't deserve it.

Agreed. I wouldn't normally open the door, if I don't know who it is (I have a video/audio monitor at the front door). The "gentleman" approached me in my driveway while I was walking from my car to the house - I had just come home from work.

MR Redenck

I dont blame you ladies for taking alarm on account of some strange looking people trying to sell you something you can get at the store.
I hate door to door sales all together! I cant stand it when someone I dont even know shows up at my place bothering me.
If you want to sell me something, Advertise on the Radio!!
Dont bother me, Im at HOME!!!

emsjeep

I don't know, let me go check the pit.

ETA: Nope, nobody with subscription cards.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It seems you have two issues that need addressing:

1) Becoming familiar with what the valid door-to-door solicitor's permit looks like. That should be something you could resolve within an hour.

2) Making your local PD aware of the presence of un-permitted door-to-door solicitors and getting the PD to take action. That might involve more than a 911 call when you observe them, such as increasing the patrols in your and other neighborhoods. You and I both know there are only so many cops and they can only be at one place at a time. We also both know that not all 911 calls are going to be responded to, or responded to immediately.

Which brings up issue #3: what can you/will you do to deal with un-permitted door-to-door solicitors if the police cannot/will not provide what you deem an adequate response? Does your state recognize the concept of citizen's arrest? Will you go that route? Will the cops respond if you tell them you have made a citizen's arrest? (Often it is necessary for them to come and assume custody from you to avoid committing the crime of kidnapping by tryng to move the arrestee from the scene of the crime.) What will you do if the cops will not respond or will not assume custody from you?

Good luck, and have fun.

stay safe.