• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nationwide Recoprocity Bill

BigTzzy

The way I am reading the bill is:

If "State A" does NOT have a permit/license that allow residents of "State A" to carry concealed then anyone from outside "State A" who does have a permit/license from their state still CAN NOT carry a concealed firearm under this bill.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think only 2 states do not have some form of permit/license to carry concealed. (Illinois and Hawaii) I think. So even if/when this passes we could not carry to the states that don't have a permit/license.

Also, using California as an example...Anyone using this bill to carry concealed in California would have to abide by all the laws and regulations that someone who lives in California would have to...like not having a magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds...etc...etc.

Daylen

The way I am reading the bill is:

If "State A" does NOT have a permit/license that allow residents of "State A" to carry concealed then anyone from outside "State A" who does have a permit/license from their state still CAN NOT carry a concealed firearm under this bill.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think only 2 states do not have some form of permit/license to carry concealed. (Illinois and Hawaii) I think. So even if/when this passes we could not carry to the states that don't have a permit/license.

Also, using California as an example...Anyone using this bill to carry concealed in California would have to abide by all the laws and regulations that someone who lives in California would have to...like not having a magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds...etc...etc.

Illinois and Wisconson were the only two. Now or soon it will be only Illinois. Wisconson has had OC for at least a while though, just no CC. Hawaii has may not issue for cc/oc like many new england states.

ldsgeek

Only half of New England

Illinois and Wisconson were the only two. Now or soon it will be only Illinois. Wisconson has had OC for at least a while though, just no CC. Hawaii has may not issue for cc/oc like many new england states.

Northern New England is either shall issue (NH, ME) or constitutional carry (VT). CT used to be shall issue but may have changed, MA and RI are may issue (and good luck getting it). It actually used to be easier to get a non-resident permit for MA than a resident but that has changed, and they want $100 per YEAR for the privilege.

Redbaron007

Whats to stop the feds from now having a national CCW. Now, a lib pres and lib congress get a hold of the the CCW laws and forces higher fees, training etc.

The states were smart enough to come together on the Drivers License issue before the feds got involved in it; hopefully they, the states, will come around on the reciprocity of CCW. There are 11 states that don't honor my permit; however, only three my state doesn't honor. Seven years ago, my state didn't issue CCW and didn't recognize any. It does take time.

I believe the states should have this control, not the feds.

Aknazer

Whats to stop the feds from now having a national CCW. Now, a lib pres and lib congress get a hold of the the CCW laws and forces higher fees, training etc.

The states were smart enough to come together on the Drivers License issue before the feds got involved in it; hopefully they, the states, will come around on the reciprocity of CCW. There are 11 states that don't honor my permit; however, only three my state doesn't honor. Seven years ago, my state didn't issue CCW and didn't recognize any. It does take time.

I believe the states should have this control, not the feds.

What's stopping them from a national CCW is the constitutionality of it (though I'm sure that if they were to try they would either ignore the Constitution or try and lump it under "interstate commerce"), while if it is a law that solely deals with reciprocity then you can say they are simply codifying a part of the full faith and credit clause since the states are attempting to ignore it. Should it be required? No, but there's many things that shouldn't be required and yet they are.