• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting censorship...

Dreamer

I was using my laptop in the public library in Washington NC yesterday, and although I could access MOST of this website, it blocked me from the NC forum--saying it was a "violation of the Terms of Use Agreement"...

I could read the MD, DC, PA, and VA forums, and most of the non-state threads, but it would not let me access the NC-specific forum. I wasn't using the Library's computers--I was on my own laptop connected via WiFi.

I was wondering if anyone else had run into this at their local public library.

And I wonder what Benjamin Franklin--the father of the American Public Library system--would think of public libraries censoring access to 1A and 2A-related websites.

I for one, am appalled...

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I'm a little surprised that the network was able to block your access to certain sites, using your laptop. I thought such software had to be on the computer you were using (as in a library's desktop systems). The network could block a range of IP addresses, but apparently did not block the IP of OCDO.

wrightme

I'm a little surprised that the network was able to block your access to certain sites, using your laptop. I thought such software had to be on the computer you were using (as in a library's desktop systems). The network could block a range of IP addresses, but apparently did not block the IP of OCDO.

Wireless Access Point is another fancy term for a router. It is within reason to believe that a content filter may be in place between the library network and the Internet. In fact, it can be quite simple to set up.

M

mattwestm

Sounds like they have a filter set up to block certain strings. I'm just curious as to why it would block specific sub-forums while allowing others.

VW_Factor

There are network appliances capable of filtering many things by any number of triggers for any reason. Whether it is an URL, or IP address, time of day, page content, trigger words contained in the plugins or language otherwise.

Do not be surprised. Most common household routers that most people own these days are capable of these things. Enterprise level stuff (which is most likely used in this case) has much more capability to weed out whatever the IT department deems inappropriate.

VW_Factor

Sounds like they have a filter set up to block certain strings. I'm just curious as to why it would block specific sub-forums while allowing others.

Could have been a single specific word contained in a thread in that sub forum that triggered the block. Cannot know unless you ask whoever is in charge of their network.

Baked on Grease

Could have been a single specific word contained in a thread in that sub forum that triggered the block. Cannot know unless you ask whoever is in charge of their network.

This... All it takes is one word in a title to trigger the block... Shame on the library....

Sent using tapatalk

J_Oliver

I would definately call that strange, but not unheard of. I know of all the ways sites can be censored, but I'm wondering what particular string triggered it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk