• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summit County bans OC in County facilities

RockyMtnScotsman

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20110914/NEWS/110919941/1001&parentprofile=1055

BRECKENRIDGE — Openly displayed firearms and all other deadly weapons, concealed or not, are now banned from many county facilities, according to a resolution county commissioners passed Tuesday.

The new policy states that the “presence of firearms … on persons who are not peace officers may create a tense and fearful environment,” and that there are legitimate public safety concerns arising from the presence of deadly weapons and open-carry firearms in county facilities.

The policy doesn't apply to law enforcement officers or people carrying concealed weapons who have a permit to do so.

The sale and possession of alcohol at gun shows at county facilities is also prohibited by the resolution.

The new ban will be implemented in rolling phases and will not go into effect in various facilities until signs are posted in accordance with state law, commissioners said.

The ban applies to most county facilities, including the county courthouse, the justice center, the Blue River Ball Fields, Community and Senior Center and transfer center. The district attorney's office is excluded from the ban.

Once fully implemented, county employees will be allowed to call the Sheriff's Office to help enforce the ban. Summit County Sheriff John Minor said offenders will generally first be asked to comply with the policy by putting the firearm in the car or simply taking it out of the building.

“That's probably the first option we're going to give that individual,” Minor said. “If they refuse, it becomes a problem.”

The resolution was written and passed at the request of the sheriff's office, but was not drafted in response to any particular incident, commissioners said.

mahkagari

BRECKENRIDGE — Openly displayed firearms and all other deadly weapons, concealed or not, are now banned from many county facilities, according to a resolution county commissioners passed Tuesday.

Interesting. That would cover hunting knives. Remind me not to stop in any "county facilities" on the way back from a trip.

DocWalker

"The new policy states that the “presence of firearms … on persons who are not peace officers may create a tense and fearful environment,” and that there are legitimate public safety concerns arising from the presence of deadly weapons and open-carry firearms in county facilities."

Well politians and criminals create a tense and fearful enviorment also, can we ban them? I also feel both are legitimate public safety concerns arising from there presence.

Next they will ban the 1st amendment due to public safety concerns....then the 4th, 5th....ect

I wonder if we can quit paying county taxes if we are discriminated against and not allowed to use property we as taxpayers own.

We should look at this as a discrimination lawsuit also, in effect they are singling a group of law abiding citizens out for no reason.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The resolution was written and passed at the request of the sheriff's office, but was not drafted in response to any particular incident, commissioners said.

I see. So, absent any justifiable concern, it was written and passed on the whim of a local sheriff. Oh, "not a whim" you say?

the “presence of firearms … on persons who are not peace officers may create a tense and fearful environment”

Hmm... I wonder what other activities in Summit county create a "tense and fearful environment?"

- bobsledding
- downhill racing
- cross-country cycling, particularly over mountain passes...

I need not continue as you get my drift. It's what we live for, and in fact, it's why so many people visit Summit county each year - for the adrenaline rush.

...and that there are legitimate public safety concerns arising from the presence of deadly weapons and open-carry firearms in county facilities.

Oh, please. Turns out Sheriff Minor is from the U.K.: "Born in England, John Minor grew up in a working class neighborhood across the bay from Liverpool. In 1980, the Minor family packed their belongings and moved to Colorado, where options seemed better."

Sheriff Minor should return home to the land of the not so free and the very not brave. Colorado is NOT the state for him.

Fortunately, his is an elected position, so let's get him out and get someone in office who's willing to repeal his brand of horse hocky.

Interesting. That would cover hunting knives.

That covers pencils, too. Good thing my child doesn't attend school there -- he'd be branded a dangerous criminal!

If anyone wants to contact Sheriff Minor and explain a few things about why OC good, infringement of 2A rights bad, be my guest.

Last edited:

zwvirtual

What people need to do is show up wearing a shirt of jacket that has the following on the front and back in big, bold letters:

"I am carrying a concealed gun"

What can they do about it? Nothing. Then they can pat themselves on the back again for banning OC.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What people need to do is show up wearing a shirt of jacket that has the following on the front and back in big, bold letters: "I am carrying a concealed gun"

What can they do about it? Nothing. Then they can pat themselves on the back again for banning OC.

Lol, true. I'm not an "In your face!" sort of guy, but decisions like theirs just beg for some sort of response.

How about a t-shirt that reads:

WARNING
ARMED CITIZEN

Exercising
Concealed Carry
in compliance with
Summit County's
recent ban on
Open Carry
in many county facilities.​

Knowing Summit County, I'd probably meet up with a deputy willing to bend (break) the law by arresting me for creating a public disturbance, nuisance, DC, or some other trumped-up charge, and a judge willing to bend (break) the law by claiming "if you're wearing the t-shirt, you're OC, not CC."

Last edited:

hermannr

Very interesting (and IMHO poor) wording.

My question is the definition of "Display". WA state Courts have ruled that a handgun in a holster is not "displayed" and that a peacefully carried, holstered firearm does not (in the legal sense) warrant alarm in a "reasonable person".

(sorry, I do not have the reference right now, I do remember the female Judge saying in her opinion that an OC would cause her concern also, but that a holstered OC firearm is not a "display" and does not "warrant alarm for the safety of other persons" according to the law. RCW 9.41.270(1) )

Is there anything llike that in Colorado

OldCurlyWolf

I see. So, absent any justifiable concern, it was written and passed on the whim of a local sheriff. Oh, "not a whim" you say?

Hmm... I wonder what other activities in Summit county create a "tense and fearful environment?"

- bobsledding
- downhill racing
- cross-country cycling, particularly over mountain passes...

I need not continue as you get my drift. It's what we live for, and in fact, it's why so many people visit Summit county each year - for the adrenaline rush.

Oh, please. Turns out Sheriff Minor is from the U.K.: "Born in England, John Minor grew up in a working class neighborhood across the bay from Liverpool. In 1980, the Minor family packed their belongings and moved to Colorado, where options seemed better."

Sheriff Minor should return home to the land of the not so free and the very not brave. Colorado is NOT the state for him.

Fortunately, his is an elected position, so let's get him out and get someone in office who's willing to repeal his brand of horse hocky.

That covers pencils, too. Good thing my child doesn't attend school there -- he'd be branded a dangerous criminal!

If anyone wants to contact Sheriff Minor and explain a few things about why OC good, infringement of 2A rights bad, be my guest.

Not that it has any meaning to this thread. but an observation about the Sheriff: :cool:

Ugly, isn't he? :eek: I guess he figures people are nervous enough just looking at him without having to deal with others OCing on county property. :p

since9

Campaign Veteran
My question is the definition of "Display". WA state Courts have ruled that a handgun in a holster is not "displayed" and that a peacefully carried, holstered firearm does not (in the legal sense) warrant alarm in a "reasonable person".

(sorry, I do not have the reference right now, I do remember the female Judge saying in her opinion that an OC would cause her concern also, but that a holstered OC firearm is not a "display" and does not "warrant alarm for the safety of other persons" according to the law. RCW 9.41.270(1) )

Very interesting. Of course a properly-holstered firearm is not a "display," nor does it "warrant alarm."

Is there anything llike that in Colorado

I and others will have to check and get back with you. I'm interested in learning as much more about it as I can.