• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May be moving to AZ. What do I need to know?

Oramac

Hey everyone! So I might be moving to AZ, specifically Phoenix. What all do I really need to know? Places to be/not be? Good living/bad living? Etc. I'm single, so don't really have any family concerns as yet, though I would like to be able to get out and meet people.

Thanks!

March Hare

Welcome to Arizona!

I can't speak to what part of town you would like best, some like the city, others the country!
Here's some information on sidearms:

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely if you are over 21, if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: Arizona Gun Owners Guide
It's the best resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
It's not free, but well worth the small price.

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems here, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or question about the brand/model/caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

EDIT - Updated link to most up to date information. Thank you Fred!

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Regarding the link, that March Hare posted from one my earlier posts, to Legal Issues Relating to the Use of Deadly Force ....

Now that DPS is no longer in the CCW training business, that document will no longer be updated. The current version is already outdated by the 2011 changes to the law.

The leaves the Arizona Gun Owners Guide as your best resource.

And, to keep improving the gun laws in Arizona - join AzCDL :dude:

Fred

March Hare

Regarding the link, that March Hare posted from one my earlier posts, to Legal Issues Relating to the Use of Deadly Force ....

Now that DPS is no longer in the CCW training business, that document will no longer be updated. The current version is already outdated by the 2011 changes to the law.

The leaves the Arizona Gun Owners Guide as your best resource.

And, to keep improving the gun laws in Arizona - join AzCDL :dude:

Fred

Mea Culpa, I will update my post, thank you Fred!

Thanks Sonora!

And yeah, join AzCDL!

-MH

Last edited:

Super Saiyan

One of the most important things to know is that you will be residing in a state that actually treats it's adult citizens like adults, at least concerning firearms rights.

azcdlfred

One of the most important things to know is that you will be residing in a state that actually treats it's adult citizens like adults, at least concerning firearms rights.
Only recently and because of a strong "gun lobby."

Almost half the Arizona legislature wants to disarm you and many of the rest are political "windsocks" blowing in any direction the winds of political correctness take them. Without constant pressure from gun owners, we'd just be California with cactii.

If you value your right to bear arms and want to work to restore it (Yes, "restore" - there are still a ton of laws that need to be changed), then get invovled. You are either on the steam roller or part of the road.

Fred

Last edited:

Super Saiyan

Only recently and because of a strong "gun lobby."

Almost half the Arizona legislature wants to disarm you and many of the rest are political "windsocks" blowing in any direction the winds of political correctness take them. Without constant pressure from gun owners, we'd just be California with cactii.

If you value your right to bear arms and want to work to restore it (Yes, "restore" - there are still a ton of laws that need to be changed), then get invovled. You are either on the steam roller or part of the road.

Fred

I guess I'm just old fashioned, because when I said "state," I meant it in the context of we the people (the citizens) of the State of Arizona, as opposed to the politicians, which by the way you basically summed up perfectly. I don't trust 'em. Never did, never will. Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a hundred thousand miles.