Thread: Mason County Courthouse

Mason County Courthouse

This may be old news, but I was down in this end of the world for work and the Commissioners Offices had a "no handgun" sign on the door going in. I ended up at another building, but went back later for a chat and found that the facility was under the auspices of "Mason County Parks and Grounds". So, I'll follow up on that part...

I then went over to the courthouse and talked to the local sheriff at the body scanner and asked him what the procedure was for checking a firearm. He was very polite and friendly and said that you could leave it in your vehicle, but if you were not comfortable with that to come and see them for a token to be used in the lockers in a little hallway, just outside the search area......you put your firearm/ammo (you don't have to unload anything) in the box, pull the key and put it in your pocket and use the token to retrieve it, re-arm yourself in the alcove and be on your way....

Good on them...
    Last edited by jt59; 09-14-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    This may be old news, but I was down in this end of the world for work and the Commissioners Offices had a "no handgun" sign on the door going in. I ended up at another building, but went back later for a chat and found that the facility was under the auspices of "Mason County Parks and Grounds". So, I'll follow up on that part...

I then went over to the courthouse and talked to the local sheriff at the body scanner and asked him what the procedure was for checking a firearm. He was very polite and friendly and said that you could leave it in your vehicle, but if you were not comfortable with that to come and see them for a token to be used in the lockers in a little hallway, just outside the search area......you put your firearm/ammo (you don't have to unload anything) in the box, pull the key and put it in your pocket and use the token to retrieve it, re-arm yourself in the alcove and be on your way....

Good on them...
    That's a good way of doing it. Could be something to mention to our county council.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)