Thread: Why do I Carry

Why do I Carry

The snappy bumper sticker answer is, "A cop is too heavy." The real answer is the cops don't consider it their job to protect anyone.

You could also say "there is another example of why in every days newspaper".

No matter what the City, it seems like every day there's a report of someone attacking or robbing someone with every sort of weapon possible. Most victims were unable to defend themselves. Apparently they "drank the Kool-Aid" that said that was the Cop's job.
    Last edited by amlevin; 09-14-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Why carry?
    An assault & batt on a citizen... three doors down just last week.
    Last night some gentleman broke in to an armed females(my favorite kind) house in Whatcom county..............His condition was not released by the hospital, he was being treated for gunshot wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dwordinger
    The snappy bumper sticker answer is, "A cop is too heavy." The real answer is the cops don't consider it their job to protect anyone.
    Welcome to the site! Hope you stick around & learn lots.
    First lesson: it's not the job of police to protect anyone.
    See Warren v. DC.
    SCOTUS ruled (as have many lower courts across the country) that police have no duty to protect any person not in custody*, only a general duty to the public as a group.

Someone can call 911 multiple times, report a violent crime in progress, be harmed by that crime for hours (or even killed), and the police are not the least bit liable for their failure to respond or failure to stop the crime.

* (Not the exact wording but the general idea.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

That same old lame statement, "it is not the police job to protect anyone", hmmm Then who is it that runs toward trouble when called upon? Oh wait a minute, the Police!
    Some have felt that in some cases the Police did not do enough or not quick enough, I say let the nay sayers step up to the plate and take a swing!
    Last edited by BigDave; 09-15-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: edit for clarity
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

MKEgal Dwordinger has been around for years, he is one of the anchors in Eastern Washington always at the gun show table, shows up to meets, OCs and actually exercises his 2nd Amendment rights.

The police have no duty to protect anyone person only a duty to protect society in general, see Castle Rock v. Gonzales, No. 04-278.

Dave I am not sure what you were trying to say "if it not the police job to protect anyone" some proper grammer would sure help.

Law enforcement mostly cleans up the mess and takes reports after the fact, this overblown Cops are all heros stuff is whats lame.

Orphan and others, sorry for posting with out proof reading my last post, I have edited it to hopefully add clarity.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    My favorite answer is "Because the police can't be everywhere, so it's my responsibility to protect myself."
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

my joke would be, "live near the donut shop, say its being robbed, they'll always show up" but I don't like low blows towards cops. I carry because its my responsibility to protect myself or my family, I would hate to picture my kid at my funeral asking why I am not getting up, that being said killing an attacker wouldn't deprive me of any sleep.
    Whoever thought switching to your sidearm was faster than reloading your rifle has never been hit in the **** with a swinging barrel.

You cant fight the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly..

ApacheBunny said
    I carry because its my responsibility to protect myself or my family
    Myself, my family and those around me. And the visibility is preemptive.

I've caught flak for this before, but I'll use my firearm to protect myself and my family, but that's where I draw the line. I'm not jumping in the middle of people engaged in a skirmish. You'll recognize me by the way I'm retreating and looking for cover, and then calling 9-1-1, and using my powers of observation to be a good witness.

Okay, my heat shields are up. Commence flaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    I've caught flak for this before, but I'll use my firearm to protect myself and my family, but that's where I draw the line. I'm not jumping in the middle of people engaged in a skirmish. You'll recognize me by the way I'm retreating and looking for cover, and then calling 9-1-1, and using my powers of observation to be a good witness.

Okay I will, I agree with you on this 100%.
    I also carry for my protection and those with me and if that means moving them to a protected area then that is it.
    This is not being cold hearted or just ignoring, it is a matter of priorities and physical abilities.

I agree but I would add close friends to my list.

I almost got myself in trouble a few months ago when I saw a man grab a lady just outside of a store. I started to step in but it took me a few seconds to get there. Turned out she was a shoplifter and the man was store security. Know what you are getting into before you act, I almost screwed up big time.

Why I carry

I have not found A holster large enough to carry around A COP. And besides it would throw off your balance while riding the bike.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

In regards to who I would use my firearm(okay it's actually the wife's) to defend, I will simply say "Me and Mine". Your definition and mine may differ and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    In regards to who I would use my firearm(okay it's actually the wife's) to defend, I will simply say "Me and Mine". Your definition and mine may differ and that is perfectly acceptable to me.
    "Me and Mine" I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    I agree but I would add close friends to my list.

I almost got myself in trouble a few months ago when I saw a man grab a lady just outside of a store. I started to step in but it took me a few seconds to get there. Turned out she was a shoplifter and the man was store security. Know what you are getting into before you act, I almost screwed up big time.
    Since everyone seems to like "scenarios" consider this one:

You are in a restaurant like Denney's and have been in the restroom. As you leave someone has just started shooting patrons, one by one, and he's facing away from you. Do you "take the shot" or do you retreat into the Restroom and call 911 on your Smart Phone? BTW, you have no family of friends in the restaurant.

I'm not so sure that it's all that easy to draw any lines or use a "one size fits all" approach.
    Last edited by amlevin; 09-16-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"