Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Encounter with security at DMV

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

OC Encounter with security at DMV

I bought a Bronco yesterday (New Hunting Vehicle) and went to the DMV on Rt 1 in Henrico. I also needed to get personalized tags for my motorcycle...BGSL (Big Guns Save Lives).

I saw the Security Officer and he rates an "Officer" title.

He was glaring at everyone and Jane was poking me in the ribs and saying "Don't start a fight", which of course I never do anyway...

I went over to him and said I thought Securiguard had that contract. He smiled and said "They lost almost all the state contracts and we (New Horizon} has DMV now.
    I said, "Let me see if you all are any smarter than they were. Is open carry legal in DMV. He smiled again and said, "Yes Sir, sure is and concealed too if you have a permit" I said "You mean I need a permit to Open Carry?" .."No Sir, just to conceal".

I shook his hand and told him he'd go far in this world, we chatted a little and apparently New Horizon has made a point of informing their Officers about Open Carry. Something about a big scandal with one of Securiguards contracts.

I went over to him and said I thought Securiguard had that contract. He smiled and said "They lost almost all the state contracts and we (New Horizon} has DMV now.
    I said, "Let me see if you all are any smarter than they were. Is open carry legal in DMV. He smiled again and said, "Yes Sir, sure is and concealed too if you have a permit" I said "You mean I need a permit to Open Carry?" .."No Sir, just to conceal".
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Good to hear. Thanks!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    Very nice. It sounds like he has an understanding of why the former security contractor lost its contract.

We recently had a DMV thread involving New Horizon where Security probably wasn't as well informed. That was in NOVA I think and they are a little slow there

Anyway....I think the State is making a point of letting the guard companies know that this is a very sensitive issue.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That was in NOVA I think and they are a little slow there
    Mybe so, but not at MY DMV.

Well done.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

New Horizon Security Services is the crappiest security company I ever worked for. I HIGHLY doubt that they instructed any of their guards on the legality of carry in Va.

You probably encountered another 2A supporter who just happens to work for NHSS.

How they got the DMV contract is beyond me, unless J.J. (the owner when I worked there) sold the company or something...

Who cares how crappy the company is to work for. This one armed guard (I'm presuming he was armed) knew hs stuff.

If other employees at other locations do not know their stuff and create problems those situations can be addressed. Perhaps DMV will get tired of hearing complaints sooner rather than later from now on.

And Peter, where did you ever come up with the notion of hunting dog hunters from a Bronco? I always thought stands were set higher off the ground.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    And Peter, where did you ever come up with the notion of hunting dog hunters from a Bronco? I always thought stands were set higher off the ground.

stay safe.
    The best way to hunt them is blend in.
    I can just sit on my butt, eating beaner weiners and maybe toss an assortment of beer cans around, and they'll just mill around like I wasn't there.

I could even get out once in a while and shout soueeeeeeeeeeeeeee, soueeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I had the same conversation with the guy at Fraconia DMV and he knew the same thing. He was upset because he wanted a different holster then what they would pay for.

I was at Broad St DMV on Tuesday, carrying with my holster in about the 4 o'clock position, half covered by my outer tshirt, half displayed. No wide eyed looks, no comments although one of the guards did approach me while I was at the window

Guard 'Excuse me sir'
    Me (wondering if she was going to say anything about the gun) 'yes'
    Guard 'I was just wondering if you'd finished with that clipboard'
    Me 'Oh .. yes, yes I have'
    Guard (as I handed it to her) 'thank you sir'
    Me 'you're welcome'

I hate that once every 5 years trip to DMV to renew my licence, but this time it went well, everyone I had to deal with there was very pleasant .. but I really hate the fact I have to go to Broad St just because none of the other offices in Richmond area have a fingerprint machine (I have a Hazmat licence, and the new 8 year renewal does not apply for Hazmat drivers, we still have to renew every 5).

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    I hate that once every 5 years trip to DMV to renew my licence, but this time it went well, everyone I had to deal with there was very pleasant .. but I really hate the fact I have to go to Broad St just because none of the other offices in Richmond area have a fingerprint machine (I have a Hazmat licence, and the new 8 year renewal does not apply for Hazmat drivers, we still have to renew every 5).
    I love the 8 yr. renewal. Mine is good until 2018!

Back in NJ, we had to renew yearly!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter

you think 8 years is good ? .. my UK licence was valid until the day before my 70th birthday .. I think they've changed to a photo ID and paper licence (in a similar way to the VA DL & CHP is a photo ID and paper licence) in the years since I left there though, but from what I understand they just have to update the photo ID every so many years

I bought a Bronco yesterday (New Hunting Vehicle) and went to the DMV on Rt 1 in Henrico. I also needed to get personalized tags for my motorcycle...BGSL (Big Guns Save Lives).

I saw the Security Officer and he rates an "Officer" title.

He was glaring at everyone and Jane was poking me in the ribs and saying "Don't start a fight", which of course I never do anyway...

I shook his hand and told him he'd go far in this world, we chatted a little and apparently New Horizon has made a point of informing their Officers about Open Carry. Something about a big scandal with one of Securiguards contracts.
    My encounter went different. I had two females approach me and tell me I needed a CHP to have a gun in here. When I said no you dont I was then told "you cant have that in here" After I stopped laughing I told both of them in a nice, calm and ever so polite voice yes you can. If you dont like it call the cops. They walked away and seemed to be upset. Funny thing they would not even look at me the rest of the time I was in there and the cops never showed up. Seems like you had better luck than me Nap. Must have been the short pants Maybe I should hang around you more often. You seem to stay out of trouble.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by All American Nightmare View Post
    My encounter went different. I had two females approach me and tell me I needed a CHP to have a gun in here. When I said no you dont I was then told "you cant have that in here" After I stopped laughing I told both of them in a nice, calm and ever so polite voice yes you can. If you dont like it call the cops. They walked away and seemed to be upset. Funny thing they would not even look at me the rest of the time I was in there and the cops never showed up. Seems like you had better luck than me Nap. Must have been the short pants Maybe I should hang around you more often. You seem to stay out of trouble.
    Would be a good one to follow through on with a letter of complaint - educate, educate.

I know your recorder was running, right?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I need to use the services of the DMV, so I might as well stop by the semi local office (c'ville).
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by All American Nightmare View Post
    My encounter went different. I had two females approach me and tell me I needed a CHP to have a gun in here. When I said no you dont I was then told "you cant have that in here" After I stopped laughing I told both of them in a nice, calm and ever so polite voice yes you can.
    And then you handed them some Open Carry cards?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

i bought a bronco yesterday (new hunting vehicle) and went to the dmv on rt 1 in henrico. I also needed to get personalized tags for my motorcycle...bgsl (big guns save lives).

I saw the security officer and he rates an "officer" title.

He was glaring at everyone and jane was poking me in the ribs and saying "don't start a fight", which of course i never do anyway...

I went over to him and said i thought securiguard had that contract. He smiled and said "they lost almost all the state contracts and we (new horizon} has dmv now.
    (snip)

bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter

Actually I made a mistake, just noticed it after reading the piece of paper (that they gave me to act as my licence until TSA tell them I'm no threat) again. The licence itself is valid for 8 years, it's the Hazmat background check that's only valid for 5, so I have to return and get that done again in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    I need to use the services of the DMV, so I might as well stop by the semi local office (c'ville).
    I'm heading to the one in Charlottesville tomorrow morning with the wife. I will let you all know how I make out
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    You have obviously not seen how high you can raise a bronco. It's also much better to mount the 50 cal on the roll bar of a mobile platform.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    You have obviously not seen how high you can raise a bronco. It's also much better to mount the 50 cal on the roll bar of a mobile platform.
    Think that might be where Peter is going to mount the RPG.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Went to DMV in Charlottesville yesterday OC'ing my P229 with the Mrs's. got the car registered and her license done. We were there for almost one hour never saw any security at all.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Very nice. It sounds like he has an understanding of why the former security contractor lost its contract.
    Gee, you think there's a connection there?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

People in NJ SHOULD renew yearly. They should test them yearly as well.

Teach a yankee to drive. Point his car north.

Love ya Jim !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast