• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tucson Weekly: "The Smoking Gun"

PavePusher

"America certainly has no deficit of fast-food joints and oil-smudged parking lots. Or, for that matter, blood.

Sitting here on the curb, gazing across the sweltering asphalt at a midtown Jack in the Box, I realize that this place now has a ghost. The stain of death is probably here, too, though I'm hard-pressed to find it. Most likely, it has been scrubbed away on the anxious orders of management.

That the murder occurred at this midtown eatery was pure coincidence. It could have happened anywhere. Especially in Arizona.

But it was right here, late on the afternoon of Aug. 1, that random fragments of frustration, resentment, indignation and impulse all collided into a white-hot moment. This constellation burst into reality, and then it was gone. And in that dissipation, Benny Alvarez Casarez Jr. lay dying, next to his black Ford Mustang. He had turned 50 the month before.

The authorities are talking road rage. It's thought that the killer squeezed off multiple shots from within his Toyota Tundra before careening away.

SNIP

It is often said, with passion, that guns don't kill people; people kill people. True enough. But it is not often said that knives don't kill people. Or, for that matter, that tire irons brandished in rage don't kill people. Of course they do, when taken in hand. Yet there is something in their lack of immediacy—the absence of sudden and shocking animation—that always removes them from this argument.

With good reason. It's hard to imagine Andres Fernando Buelna allegedly killing Benny Alvarez Casarez Jr. with a knife or a tire iron from within the cab of his truck. No, that would have required brutality at close quarters—a fierce gallop across the asphalt, and a hard look in the eye.

Perhaps time enough to change the collision of possibilities. Perhaps not."

Much more at link (pretty long article):

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/the-smoking-gun/Content?oid=3151456

Last edited:

Super Saiyan

" It's hard to imagine Andres Fernando Buelna allegedly killing Benny Alvarez Casarez Jr. with a knife or a tire iron from within the cab of his truck. No, that would have required brutality at close quarters—a fierce gallop across the asphalt, and a hard look in the eye."

Meanwhile, in China, six people were murdered by a madman wielding an ax.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/w...r-goes-on-killing-spree-in-central-china.html

I guess some people don't have too big a problem with that "required brutality at close quarters" issue...

Last edited:

Malcolm

"especially in arizona" what's that supposed to mean?

Especially in Arizona? I hate that. Anyone been to Jersey lately?

Implying the use of a firearm is cowardly.....I wonder if this journalist has ever used one in combat. I think I'll throw myself out here and say no.

MR Redenck

One of the most idiotic things I ever read.
Why not write an article on manners. Have some Freekin manners and dont be a road JERK!!
I will put my opinion up here for everyone to read, " Show some manners and live longer"!!!
A road rage POS was shot, sorry but I dont care.
What if it was some lady with here kids being assaulted by some POS that gets all raged out over a minor traffic issue?
" I say the laws are working"
Dont Be A Road Rage Jerk!