• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy

kemo

Hi I'm new to Open carry and I'm just curious if anyone is near my area. I called all my state officials to see if I could get some answers to my questions and none had any. The more I know the better i will feel when i carry. I also wondered if there is anything i could do to change the gun free school zone act for open carry and they told me they would get back to me. So any help would do. Thank you in advance.

Kc.38

Welcome Kemo. I just heard the other day from a business owner(OC friendly) in Antigo, that officer Brown made the statement that if he sees anyone walking around Antigo with a weapon on their hip he will have a "major talk with them". If you plan on OC be prepared for some grief. Maybe a meet and greet at Culvers (OC friendly) in Antigo would be in line? :banana:

kemo

Thanks for the info. I actually know Officer Brown which is funny. Maybe i should talk to him and get his point of view.

mrmike.me

Just remember the police point of view is not always the legal point of view. For example the DOJ put out a FAQ stating that it would be best to hand over your gun during a traffic stop (yep offer up your gun as soon as the officer stops you). Um sorry I will not hand over my gun to anyone unless that person has the legal right to take if from me. A cop pulling me over for speeding is not such a person.

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard, I would suggest you view my New to OC in WI thread if you haven't already. Secondly as already stated, Leo's are not the best source for legal info, Imagine that! Don't hold your breath on hearing back from your Reps.

kemo

Thanks for that information. It was very helpful and good to see more information. As LEO would say ignorance is no excuse. Where i live if i walk on the other side of my driveway I break the GFSZ, but if I go the other way I'm fine. The way the schools are placed makes it hard to carry. So I have been researching where I can carry and not. They say it is easier to open carry than concealed carry when it comes in effect. That is what our politicians said. So I appreciate the help.

deadlifter

DO NOT contact the officer for his perspective.

Read up on the laws here, and watch some videos on how to handle situations dealing with LEO's. You need to be fully prepared and know your RIGHTS before taking on the responsibility of arming yourself in public. I came here everyday for about a month to read and study before I took my first step out open carrying at WalMart.

I suggest you do the same. Go to some place you know are OC friendly a few times, get comfortable with people looking at you, get ready for questions and some stares. Be prepared, know what to say, and get a voice or video recorder.

protias

Welcome. As others have said, the information here is correct where some police don't know or don't care about the law.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

DO NOT contact the officer for his perspective......
I do not agree. If you have any relationship with the police it does not hurt to keep a dialogue open. If he knows this officer it will not hurt to talk to him. The purpose is not to ask legal questions but to get their take on the law and how they plan to react. 2 years ago I sat down with the Green Bay Police Chief and had a nice conversation with him. I found out that the Chief sent out a memo to his officers explaining the AG's memo that Open Carry is not disorderly in the absence of other conduct which is disorderly, and made all officers sign something to the effect that they understood it.
I am meeting with him again soon. There is a FAQ for GB officers regarding Act 35 and I will get a copy of that.

Da Po-lock

I found out that the Chief sent out a memo to his officers explaining the AG's memo that Open Carry is not disorderly in the absence of other conduct which is disorderly, and made all officers sign something to the effect that they understood it.

I would LOVE to get a copy of that, seems as though it would be a FOI document.

I'll have to stop over there and find out.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the boards!!!!

Look around, ask questions, and feel free to jump in on any discussion. The only stupid question is the one that is not asked!

jpm84092

Welcome To The Forum

Welcome to the forum Kemo. If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend that you join Wisconsin Carry.org and become a member. Even though I am no longer a WI resident, I am a member of WI Carry and pay "double dues" because I admire the work done by WI Carry and what it has done for my friends and former neighbors in WI.

The citizens on this forum, are, for the most part, quite aware of applicable laws and without providing you with legal advice (that would be practicing law without a license), they can point you to competent documents and to individual applicable statutes.

Most of all they are, again, for the most part, a very friendly lot and will do what they can to help.

After November 1, 2011, the best way to get around in the Federal (and current WI) GFSZ will be to have a Wisconsin permit to carry a concealed weapon. With a WI Permit, you can carry within the GFSZ, but not on school property or grounds.

Most of all Kemo - carry on - proudly carry on.