• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call back from Tom Tiffany's office

kemo

I had asked the other day if I could do anything to change the Gun Free School Zone for open carry. They told me I would have to get hold of our US senator to change the law. They did say if I got my concealed carry license, I could open carry near a school. So I have called my US Senator Sean Duffy and I am waiting for an answer. I hope he can help change the law and make it easier to open carry. I'll let everyone know if I get anymore calls.

protias

I had asked the other day if I could do anything to change the Gun Free School Zone for open carry. They told me I would have to get hold of our US senator to change the law. They did say if I got my concealed carry license, I could open carry near a school. So I have called my US Senator Sean Duffy and I am waiting for an answer. I hope he can help change the law and make it easier to open carry. I'll let everyone know if I get anymore calls.

There are two different GFSZ. One being the state and the other federal, both need to go.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Sean Duffy isn't a Senator.

The WI Senators are Herb Kohl, the idiot that wrote the GFSZ law and Ron Johnson.

Sean Duffy is a US Representative.

kemo

Sorry about the mistake. I will call Ron Johnson and Herb Kohl on monday and see what they said. I just can't believe they would write a law that would be detrimental to gun owners. Why am i not surprised. Maybe we can get the law changed to be more tolerable.

MKEgal

Welcome to the forum.

The "GF"SZ law isn't just detrimental to gun owners,
it's dangerous to the kids & staff at schools.
Criminals, by definition, don't follow laws.
Good citizens generally do. (I'm ignoring minor things like speeding, & bad laws like 167.31.)

So the good people voluntarily render themselves vulnerable close to a school,
and the criminals know that.
Criminals like soft targets.
The ones who want a high body count before they kill themselves seek out "(legal) gun-free" zones (Columbine, VA Tech, NIU, Luby's, military bases) because they know they won't be stopped.

D'ya know how many school shootings there have been in Utah?
Zero.
ANY adult with a UT permit may carry INSIDE a school, as well as anywhere in the magical 1000' zone around it. Some teachers carry at work.

Now look at how many school shootings or "gun in school" incidents have happened in WI just in the last, say, 10 years.
In WI, nobody but on-duty law enforcement is allowed to carry in or near a school (with very limited & rare exceptions).

BROKENSPROKET

Welcome to the forum.

The "GF"SZ law isn't just detrimental to gun owners,
it's dangerous to the kids & staff at schools.
Criminals, by definition, don't follow laws.
Good citizens generally do. (I'm ignoring minor things like speeding, & bad laws like 167.31.)

So the good people voluntarily render themselves vulnerable close to a school,
and the criminals know that.
Criminals like soft targets.
The ones who want a high body count before they kill themselves seek out "(legal) gun-free" zones (Columbine, VA Tech, NIU, Luby's, military bases) because they know they won't be stopped.

D'ya know how many school shootings there have been in Utah?
Zero.
ANY adult with a UT permit may carry INSIDE a school, as well as anywhere in the magical 1000' zone around it. Some teachers carry at work.

Now look at how many school shootings or "gun in school" incidents have happened in WI just in the last, say, 10 years.
In WI, nobody but on-duty law enforcement is allowed to carry in or near a school (with very limited & rare exceptions).

:APPLAUSE: 4 the whole post, not just the part in red.

Last edited:

kemo

Went to the Antigo police station today and talked to Police Chief Eric Roller. He said the polices point of iew was they know people are gonna Open Carry and they know it's gonna happen. He said they are not gonna interfere with your right to carry. He also infomed me the law for open carry changed for carring in a car. You are now able to carry your firearm in a car as long as you don't carry within a 1000 ft of a school. Then I also got a letter from Sean Duffy our US rep. He stated that they are trying to change the law HR2613, which effects the GFSZ. He said he supports the change to law that would allow you to carry in a school zone.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Went to the Antigo police station today and talked to Police Chief Eric Roller. He said the polices point of iew was they know people are gonna Open Carry and they know it's gonna happen. He said they are not gonna interfere with your right to carry. He also infomed me the law for open carry changed for carring in a car. You are now able to carry your firearm in a car as long as you don't carry within a 1000 ft of a school. Then I also got a letter from Sean Duffy our US rep. He stated that they are trying to change the law HR2613, which effects the GFSZ. He said he supports the change to law that would allow you to carry in a school zone.

He is wrong. That doesn't go into affect until 11/1/11.

kemo

I wonder if he misunderstood my question. Kind of odd he said the law is in effect now on carrying a firearm in my vehicle. I see what the DNR has said hopefully I will get some more clarification.

kemo

I said screw it. I called the Wisconsin doj and got the answer after 20 minutes on the phone. They said it doesn't come into effect until Nov 1. He said they are having trouble figuring out the law and then he told me to read the law for myself. So good luck to all trying to figure it out.

protias

I said screw it. I called the Wisconsin doj and got the answer after 20 minutes on the phone. They said it doesn't come into effect until Nov 1. He said they are having trouble figuring out the law and then he told me to read the law for myself. So good luck to all trying to figure it out.

They are just dragging their feet. The law is easy to understand. Perhaps they should have pushed for SB93's original language?

paul@paul-fisher.com

A rule which hopefully you will find out for yourself.

Don't ask cops for legal advice. 1, they are legally allowed to lie to you. 2. Most don't know the law when it comes to open/concealed carry.

So.... ask here. Most of us don't just answer questions, but provide links and/or quotes to the ACTUAL law.

HandyHamlet

A rule which hopefully you will find out for yourself.

Don't ask cops for legal advice. 1, they are legally allowed to lie to you. 2. Most don't know the law when it comes to open/concealed carry.

I had the pleasure of having a Racine Police Officer as a client this last weekend. Nice guy. He is all for CC and OC. Very enthusiastic actually. His comments were these:

KNOW the WI personal defense laws.
Find a pistol that FITS you.
PRACTICE.

I quizzed his cohorts, including one on duty, and although none of them have anything against OC or CC, NONE of them know the new law. The only consensus among them was that they will have to "wait and see". So it appears in Racine at least the Dept hasn't even addressed Act 35 yet.

Last edited:

civilwarguy

I had the pleasure of having a Racine Police Officer as a client this last weekend. Nice guy. He is all for CC and OC. Very enthusiastic actually. His comments were these:

KNOW the WI personal defense laws.
Find a pistol that FITS you.
PRACTICE.

I quizzed his cohorts, including one on duty, and although none of them have anything against OC or CC, NONE of them know the new law. The only consensus among them was that they will have to "wait and see". So it appears in Racine at least the Dept hasn't even addressed Act 35 yet.

You could teach them Handy and While you at it teach them how to do crime scene photos they always take gloomy ones and the lighting is poor so on

You could call it "Smile and Wait for the Flash"

kemo

It seems as though it is a waiting game. I think it all boils down to we have to see how it is gonna be interpeted. Which kinda sucks. All I know is they have to figure it out and let us know. This is sad that the doj has an opprotunity to screw us if they misinterpet it.