• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County District Court 2nd Amendment Violation? Komo Problem Solvers

spikedzombies

Recently hit up Pierce County District Court on 96th in Tacoma and they have yet to install security lock boxes for licensed gun holders/open carriers. I have since contacted Komo News and they have replied and would like a statement and some follow up information.

Here's hoping they can get something done!

decklin

Did they have someone to act as a custodian of weapons? If so then they are in compliance with state law as stated in RCW 9.41.300.
I see you said no lockboxes at that location but that is only one solution the state has given.

deanf

Also, while clearly a 2nd Amendment violation, it should not be played as such. It should be played as a state law violation, because it will theoretically be simpler to get satisfaction at the state law level.

decklin

Also, while clearly a 2nd Amendment violation, it should not be played as such. It should be played as a state law violation, because it will theoretically be simpler to get satisfaction at the state law level.

That is probably a very accurate statement. Make sure they get the correct RCW. By the way, what did they say when you went in there?

Last edited:

spikedzombies

I am playing it as a state law violation not a 2nd amendment violation. The guards exact words were mumbled but I clearly heard something to the fact that they know about it and don't plan on fixing the problems.

I actually read the previous thread on the subject and which was the clinching factor in making my contact with the news.

amlevin

Another case of a Law without penalty for breaking it.

Recent comment from a Judge in an unrelated case (the Teacher's Strike in Tacoma) indicated what the problem is in many of these cases. He said "The law may say that strikes by public employees are illegal but it doesn't provide for any penalty".

And there you have it. The law may require lock boxes or "custody officers" but what are you going to do if the agency refuses. What's the penalty. Public Scorn? Laws like these need some teeth. Something to bite those in the ass that choose to ignore and violate them.

Wobbles

Another case of a Law without penalty for breaking it.

Laws like these need some teeth. Something to bite those in the ass that choose to ignore and violate them.

+1
This is exactly what I was thinking. If there's no repercussion, there will be no compliance

deanf

Florida added penalties to their pre-emption statute, sounds like we may need to start a similar campaign here.

Violation of any provision of RCW Title 9.41 is a misdemeanor. This includes preemption and the court storage provisions.

The problem is one of enforcement.

oneeyeross

plus, since they know the law, they have no protection from law suits...

I'd think about suing the county commisioners if'n I was an offended party

44Brent

There's a way to remedy this. A citizen can file an application for a writ of mandamus, which is an order for a government official to carry out their job. If the person who is the subject of the order refuses to carry out the order, then that person can be held in contempt-of-court and can be fined or imprisoned.

sudden valley gunner

There's a way to remedy this. A citizen can file an application for a writ of mandamus, which is an order for a government official to carry out their job. If the person who is the subject of the order refuses to carry out the order, then that person can be held in contempt-of-court and can be fined or imprisoned.

Yes but finding a lawyer who is willing to do so, and covering the expense. I have been working on Whatcom County for a while now. The other thing to do is get an AG opinion on it. Like DeanF said it's enforcement issue, funny how Law Enforcement, choose which laws they will enforce.

Difdi

I wonder, do police officers who visit that courthouse go there unarmed, or do they have a weapon check area? The state constitution prohibits special privileges for a single class of citizens, wouldn't it follow that you can check your weapon wherever the police do, when they go to that courthouse to testify?

deanf

The state constitution prohibits special privileges for a single class of citizens, wouldn't it follow that you can check your weapon wherever the police do

Police officers are not there as citizens. They are there as agents of the state, and thus should be afforded fewer privileges.

Just Us

This location knows about it as I have asked multiple times. They have also stated that the location was going to be out of use soon. Still they have put anything in place.

The downtown Tacoma has lock boxes that I have used in late July.