• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County District Court 2nd Amendment Violation? Komo Problem Solvers

Difdi

Recent comment from a Judge in an unrelated case (the Teacher's Strike in Tacoma) indicated what the problem is in many of these cases. He said "The law may say that strikes by public employees are illegal but it doesn't provide for any penalty".

In such a case, wouldn't it be fair to say they quit their jobs? No call no show, and all that. If they cannot strike, and they simply walk out and don't come back, well, they left the job, right?

amlevin

In such a case, wouldn't it be fair to say they quit their jobs? No call no show, and all that. If they cannot strike, and they simply walk out and don't come back, well, they left the job, right?

My point was that many laws don't seem to have any real penalty for violation, especially any that affect Public Employees. Break the law and so what.

You're right that the teachers should be handled just like Reagan handled the ATC's. As for the other employees that fail to follow laws such as the one that requires either a lock box or designated party to receive firearms in Courthouses, they seem to get a pass. Nobody in power wants to prosecute.

jbone

Another case of a Law without penalty for breaking it.

Recent comment from a Judge in an unrelated case (the Teacher's Strike in Tacoma) indicated what the problem is in many of these cases. He said "The law may say that strikes by public employees are illegal but it doesn't provide for any penalty".

And there you have it. The law may require lock boxes or "custody officers" but what are you going to do if the agency refuses. What's the penalty. Public Scorn? Laws like these need some teeth. Something to bite those in the ass that choose to ignore and violate them.

I once read that legislator’s device and pass laws with three purposes in mind, and one of those was: "expectation that the law won' be enforced but a standard of behavior is expected"

I guess we are seeing the expected behavior side, of which won’t be enforced. “Law’s that place a value on behavior without expecting enforcement” Guidelines, we expect these agency’s will behave and implement the RCW, but we aren’t going to enforce this guideline!

That’s the bottom line crap we’re seeing.

Jeff Hayes

This seems to be a topic that keeps coming up over and over again and we talk it to death over and over again. How about we get together chip in some money pick a case that is winnable and file a writ of mandamas based on violating RCW 9.41.300, I am tired of talking about it, heck I am tired of reading about it. All we have to do is win one case or lose a case and we would know exacctly where we stand. I am good for the 1st $100 he said putting his money where his mouth is.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This seems to be a topic that keeps coming up over and over again and we talk it to death over and over again. How about we get together chip in some money pick a case that is winnable and file a writ of mandamas based on violating RCW 9.41.300, I am tired of talking about it, heck I am tired of reading about it. All we have to do is win one case or lose a case and we would know exacctly where we stand. I am good for the 1st $100 he said putting his money where his mouth is.

+$100 here as well...

sudden valley gunner

+$100 here as well...

I'll chip in $100.

I am trying to find a lawyer who will write one for them requiring ID. So far I find they are expensive and not many want to touch them, because of lacking experience, or really not caring, some want me to miss a court date so that I am arrested and can have a civil suit. I find it utterly ridiculous that to get the gov. to follow law you have to risk arrest or be arrested and then sue civilly.

The prosecutor knows I am right but says "it's reasonable to ask" and he can be 'more restrictive' and knows I basically have no recourse, smug bastard.

Last edited:

deanf

Perhaps we can get the Problem Solvers on the whole preemption issue vis-a-vis violations of RCW Title 9.41 being a misdemeanor. Why is the Pierce County District Court violating a criminal law and not being investigated? Etc, etc.

tombrewster421

I'll chip in $100.

I am trying to find a lawyer who will write one for them requiring ID. So far I find they are expensive and not many want to touch them, because of lacking experience, or really not caring, some want me to miss a court date so that I am arrested and can have a civil suit. I find it utterly ridiculous that to get the gov. to follow law you have to risk arrest or be arrested and then sue civilly.

The prosecutor knows I am right but says "it's reasonable to ask" and he can be 'more restrictive' and knows I basically have no recourse, smug bastard.

What we need is an actual lawyer, not an attorney. There's a difference. A lawyer is someone who knows laws and contracts their expertise out to help others in court. An attorney is a member of the bar association and in that respect works for the state. They don't want to do a writ of mandamus against a government official because they would likely be disbarred. No fear of that with a real lawyer. I heard a great cd about the law and how to use it recently and it was from a guy in Washington that was a former sheriff and now practices law. He's gotten a few judges arrested for trying to stop him from exercising his right to contract with others. :)
I'll see if I can find the cd and get his name.

sudden valley gunner

What we need is an actual lawyer, not an attorney. There's a difference. A lawyer is someone who knows laws and contracts their expertise out to help others in court. An attorney is a member of the bar association and in that respect works for the state. They don't want to do a writ of mandamus against a government official because they would likely be disbarred. No fear of that with a real lawyer. I heard a great cd about the law and how to use it recently and it was from a guy in Washington that was a former sheriff and now practices law. He's gotten a few judges arrested for trying to stop him from exercising his right to contract with others. :)
I'll see if I can find the cd and get his name.

Interesting I was using attorney synonymously with lawyer.

Id be interested in learning about that former sheriff too.

tombrewster421

Pardon?

Please elaborate on the relationship between the bar association and the State.

Well, think about it. How many times have you seen a judge on TV or a movie threaten to have an attorney disbarred. He couldn't do that if it wasn't controlled by the state. I'll get the cd back from my brother and make some copies for you guys that want to learn more about it.

Jeff Hayes

This could be an alligator with jaws on both ends. Win the case and the Legislature "fixes" the problem (as they see it). Loose the case and the position of those who you are suing is merely strengthened.

I thought of that, if we loose the case their only option is to make it legal for a public servent to disobay the law or take away writ of mandamas from the people. If I am missing something and I very well might be lets talk about it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Something to be considered is that we still do not have the makeup of pro gun representatives in Olympia to push forward with a gun measure.
From my understanding we do have enough to keep from the lefties pushing through an anti gun measure.

Sometimes it is better to wait to attack and continue to work toward getting that majority of pro gun and then make a strong push to clearing up our State Gun Laws.

HB 1400 was introduced to clear up an issue of carrying a self defense weapon on a snowmobile, while it still may have a chance it was not called up for a hearing as the chairman of the committee is anti gun.
One would think this would be an easy walk through, one would think!

I whole heartily agree there needs to be teeth in these violations as there is in any criminal activity.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Are you seriously hanging your credibility hat on what you saw in a fictional TV show or movie?

Um no! I listened to the cd that explained it all. I was merely showing an example that the average joe could relate to. I'm sure that most people haven't been in court enough to actually witness a judge saying this and the attorneys certainly hope they don't ever hear it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Well, think about it. How many times have you seen a judge on TV or a movie threaten to have an attorney disbarred. He couldn't do that if it wasn't controlled by the state. I'll get the cd back from my brother and make some copies for you guys that want to learn more about it.

Um no! I listened to the cd that explained it all. I was merely showing an example that the average joe could relate to. I'm sure that most people haven't been in court enough to actually witness a judge saying this and the attorneys certainly hope they don't ever hear it.

LOL, I knew there was humor in these funny pages!