• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

utah seems like an CC state.

kazuki

hello been a long time lurker first time poster so thanks for letting me be a part of this great community. i recently moved from AZ to Utah sandy and its nice place, in Az i open carried everywhere i whent and ive talked to a few people out here and everyone seems to prefer CC over OC. i have yet to meet any one who OC,s and am a bit well nervous to OC in this City. thanks and hope to meet lots and make friends :D

kdt1970

I use to live in West Jordan and would open carry every now and then. Now I live in Grantsville and just open carried yesterday at our local American Burgers.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Utah is an OC state. Click on the maps on the OCDO home page and click Utah. You will find what you need to know. I just got back from leave in Salt Lake City, and I OCed the entire time I was there. No trouble at all. The reason most people you talk to say they do CC is because a lot of them don't know you can OC. I had to educate quite a few people while I was there. Oc just like you did in AZ. You will be fine. You can even have the gun loaded and in plain view or concealed in your vehicle just like you house.

Last edited:

kazuki

RE

thanks i as trying to find that therd but could not and had other pressing matters to attend to. sorry for my English

kazuki

ha anyone ever had any problems OCing in sandy. i ask because i need to walk to the gunsmith store Car in shop. and get the sights fixxed there a bit off. i cant conceal dont have my CCW yet. thanks

Francis Marion

ha anyone ever had any problems OCing in sandy. i ask because i need to walk to the gunsmith store Car in shop. and get the sights fixxed there a bit off. i cant conceal dont have my CCW yet. thanks

Yes, you can OC in Sandy or any other town in UT. Just leave the chamber empty (magazine in is OK) until you receive your permit. Encounters with Opinion Enforcement Officers are rare and anyone who confronts you entering or leaving a gun store can't have his head on straight.

cdrhoad

Clarification

Utah is an OC state. Click on the maps on the OCDO home page and click Utah. You will find what you need to know. I just got back from leave in Salt Lake City, and I OCed the entire time I was there. No trouble at all. The reason most people you talk to say they do CC is because a lot of them don't know you can OC. I had to educate quite a few people while I was there. Oc just like you did in AZ. You will be fine. You can even have the gun loaded and in plain view or concealed in your vehicle just like you house.

Clarification: you can have it loaded with a valid permit from any state. If you do not have a permit, it is illegal to have one in the tube. Unless of course it is in a vehicle under your control, your property, or a buisness under your control. Utah Criminal Code quoted below.

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Clarification: you can have it loaded with a valid permit from any state. If you do not have a permit, it is illegal to have one in the tube. Unless of course it is in a vehicle under your control, your property, or a buisness under your control. Utah Criminal Code quoted below.

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. When I referred to the gun being loaded, I was talking about just the vehicle. This why I told him to read the rules as well. So he would know about the gun having to be two steps from firing while OC without a permit. Not trying to give any wrong information here.

cdrhoad

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. When I referred to the gun being loaded, I was talking about just the vehicle. This why I told him to read the rules as well. So he would know about the gun having to be two steps from firing while OC without a permit. Not trying to give any wrong information here.

I understand, Just trying to make clear the laws so he is not negligibly breaking a law. I would hate to see an honest law-abiding citizen get in trouble for a minute error. Then again, I have never had my CFP status checked when I open carry. It is unlikely that he would be stopped or questioned by law enforcment here in Utah anyways... unless of course he acts in manner to cause a PC for detainment.

Kazuki - jpm84092 is a competent and thorough instructor. I can attest to his knowledge of Utah's laws and would recomend him to anybody.