Thread: Los Alamos Open Carry

Los Alamos Open Carry

Hello,
    I just moved to NM from Idaho. I have a concealed carry permit from there, which I used daily and carried concealed. I never open carry, though i realize it's an important right to have. I just prefer to conceal my weapon when I can. Now that I live in NM, I cannot conceal (still working on the permit here) I am just wondering about open carrying around Los Alamos. I'm not all that interested about carrying around town and such. This town is full of left wing liberals, hippies, etc, and I don't really want to get hassled. I am curious more because I live on the edge of a canyon, and like to hike in it. It's just one of the canyons that is right in town, but there's tons of trails and stuff in the bottom. I'm worried because there's plenty of wildlife around. Bears are a frequent thing in our backyards on this street. Anyway, that's a little rambling, but I just want to make sure I'm in the clear on open carrying while hiking in these canyons. For those not familiar with LA, I believe it would be considered city property, but if not it's probably national forest. Any insight for a newb like me would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor5k View Post
    Hello,
    I just moved to NM from Idaho. I have a concealed carry permit from there, which I used daily and carried concealed. I never open carry, though i realize it's an important right to have. I just prefer to conceal my weapon when I can. Now that I live in NM, I cannot conceal (still working on the permit here) I am just wondering about open carrying around Los Alamos. I'm not all that interested about carrying around town and such. This town is full of left wing liberals, hippies, etc, and I don't really want to get hassled. I am curious more because I live on the edge of a canyon, and like to hike in it. It's just one of the canyons that is right in town, but there's tons of trails and stuff in the bottom. I'm worried because there's plenty of wildlife around. Bears are a frequent thing in our backyards on this street. Anyway, that's a little rambling, but I just want to make sure I'm in the clear on open carrying while hiking in these canyons. For those not familiar with LA, I believe it would be considered city property, but if not it's probably national forest. Any insight for a newb like me would be appreciated.
    DO NOT CARRY into any establishment that sells beer, wine or liquor in any form, including carryout. That includes grocery stores, quick stops, etc. To do so is a FELONY
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Enjoy open carrying freely out in your canyon. There is nothing prohibiting the areas you have described.

Check out handlgunlaw.us for more details on prohibited areas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    DO NOT CARRY into any establishment that sells beer, wine or liquor in any form, including carryout. That includes grocery stores, quick stops, etc. To do so is a FELONY
    Thanks for the tip. I kind of picked up on that from reading other posts, but thanks for making it very clear! I don't plan on open carrying in town, mostly just while hiking and such, but just in case I appreciate knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by AH.74 View Post
    Enjoy open carrying freely out in your canyon. There is nothing prohibiting the areas you have described.

Check out handlgunlaw.us for more details on prohibited areas.
    Thank you, I'll read through it and see what else I can find.