• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Los Alamos Open Carry

raptor5k

Hello,
I just moved to NM from Idaho. I have a concealed carry permit from there, which I used daily and carried concealed. I never open carry, though i realize it's an important right to have. I just prefer to conceal my weapon when I can. Now that I live in NM, I cannot conceal (still working on the permit here) I am just wondering about open carrying around Los Alamos. I'm not all that interested about carrying around town and such. This town is full of left wing liberals, hippies, etc, and I don't really want to get hassled. I am curious more because I live on the edge of a canyon, and like to hike in it. It's just one of the canyons that is right in town, but there's tons of trails and stuff in the bottom. I'm worried because there's plenty of wildlife around. Bears are a frequent thing in our backyards on this street. Anyway, that's a little rambling, but I just want to make sure I'm in the clear on open carrying while hiking in these canyons. For those not familiar with LA, I believe it would be considered city property, but if not it's probably national forest. Any insight for a newb like me would be appreciated.

OldCurlyWolf

Hello,
I just moved to NM from Idaho. I have a concealed carry permit from there, which I used daily and carried concealed. I never open carry, though i realize it's an important right to have. I just prefer to conceal my weapon when I can. Now that I live in NM, I cannot conceal (still working on the permit here) I am just wondering about open carrying around Los Alamos. I'm not all that interested about carrying around town and such. This town is full of left wing liberals, hippies, etc, and I don't really want to get hassled. I am curious more because I live on the edge of a canyon, and like to hike in it. It's just one of the canyons that is right in town, but there's tons of trails and stuff in the bottom. I'm worried because there's plenty of wildlife around. Bears are a frequent thing in our backyards on this street. Anyway, that's a little rambling, but I just want to make sure I'm in the clear on open carrying while hiking in these canyons. For those not familiar with LA, I believe it would be considered city property, but if not it's probably national forest. Any insight for a newb like me would be appreciated.

DO NOT CARRY into any establishment that sells beer, wine or liquor in any form, including carryout. That includes grocery stores, quick stops, etc. To do so is a FELONY:mad:

AH.74

Enjoy open carrying freely out in your canyon. There is nothing prohibiting the areas you have described.

Check out handlgunlaw.us for more details on prohibited areas.

raptor5k

DO NOT CARRY into any establishment that sells beer, wine or liquor in any form, including carryout. That includes grocery stores, quick stops, etc. To do so is a FELONY:mad:

Thanks for the tip. I kind of picked up on that from reading other posts, but thanks for making it very clear! I don't plan on open carrying in town, mostly just while hiking and such, but just in case I appreciate knowing.

Enjoy open carrying freely out in your canyon. There is nothing prohibiting the areas you have described.

Check out handlgunlaw.us for more details on prohibited areas.

Thank you, I'll read through it and see what else I can find.