• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First a Headline announcing record Gun Purchases then one announcing Crime Drop

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I am glad to see the overall drop in crime rate in 2010.
There has been a crime increase here in Yakima, especially here in the last few weeks, several shootings from driveby's to someone walking by from children to adults from gang involvement to drugs to strong arm robberies and burglaries and I wonder if this is not the result or partial do to the economy and the struggles of many.

It is clear though to me anyways, the increased importance for the law abiding to be armed and the ability to protect oneself.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
David,
You may very well be right........but my personal opinion is that Yakima still is, as it has been in the past, one of the prime drug distribution points from our friends on our southern border.

SNBQ

Recently there has been large marijuana grow operations busted as well and just a couple of nights ago one shot another because he was ripped off for $40 pot buy that he did not get, oh but that stuff is a victimless crime, so it must have been something else.

Marijuana dispute led to Wednesday shooting, police say
by Chris Bristol
Yakima Herald-Republic

So, theft is a victimless crime? Does anyone really think that someone would buy a $40 option to buy marijuana?

"Money disputes can often lead to violence, but it's rare that someone dies over $20."
Woman Stabbed Over $20, Fight On Facebook
"The two women were arguing over a $20 debt, when things got out of hand, reported the Post."
No report of marijuana there. Are you going to denigrate something like usury now? Lending in general?

Tell me something about Washington, BigDave. I read that "All political power is inherent in the people, and governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, and are established to protect and maintain individual rights." Wa. Const. art. I, § 1, and that "The provisions of this Constitution are mandatory, unless by express words they are declared to be otherwise." Wa. Const. art. I, § 29. I don't see any way to give effect to § 1 under § 29 unless it is to be that every law is established to protect and maintain individual rights. Could we agree that the acquisition, possession, and disposition of property are individual rights? Something purporting to be law that quite facially infringes on such individual rights would have to have a pretty good excuse to actually be law, then, right? Can you come up with such an excuse for any law that infringes on the acquisition, possession, and disposition of marijuana? So is, then, such a law not constitutional? Is then such a law not void?

What we might learn from this is that people have violent disputes over all sorts of things, lawful or otherwise, all of the time. And it turns out that sometimes the biggest cause of the danger, and the biggest danger to us, is not two people who might dispute, but our government. The same injury is done to us whether the unlawful burden is the regulation of acquisition, possession, and disposition of marijuana or the acquisition, possession, and disposition of firearms. We can fully expect a government willing to infringe on one individual right to usurp the next.

I also don't think we can have an obsession for statistics related to violent crime while obstructing markets, creating scarcity where there is demand.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
SNBQ there are many silly reasons as to why some do what they do and my point was that some think marijuana is a victimless crime and it clearly is not.
Like it or not Federal Law still prohibits possession of marijuana even though the State allows for medical purposes which in this particular case I do not think that was the issue.
Why there are many laws on the books that many see has being harmful or could be better and we work to improve or correct them it is just an issue of life dealing with others.

The main topic if the thread has to do with increased gun purchases and decreased crime, being the opposite the nay sayers were going to happen in 2010.
Times are changing as we know and crime will vary in different localities as well, Yakima has been an exception to the rule here lately but I feel greatly do to two issues, the illegal immigrations migration to the area and the economy down turn which as we all know have put many out of work and on hard times, cut backs on assistance and gang fighting albeit for many reasons.

It's late and off to bed.