• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Knife, The Handgun, and Humanism

Beretta92FSLady

"Secular Humanism is a secular ideology which espouses reason, ethics, and justice, whilst specifically rejecting supernatural and religious dogma as a basis of morality and decision-making."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

This morning I was sitting, and thinking about my CC/OC experience in Washington state, and my CC/OC experience here in California. I began to think about handgun laws in California, and knife laws in California. I began thinking about a couple of years ago, on a Saturday afternoon, when I shot a man - who was running at us - in the chest, in front of my wife, and children. And then I thought about if I did not have my handgun, and instead, I had a knife at my side.

These two forms of self-defense can be measured in brutality, as well as applied an ethical value, IMO. Self-defense is a necessary act, but a brutal act none-the-less.

I think about how much more devastating, and brutal my interaction with our attacker would have been if I were instead wielding a knife, and forced to stab him.

This is not intended to be a political discourse, but let's face it, we function within, and are under the weight of a highly political structure.

In-short: I find it ironic that the handgun is rendered a brick here in California. And the alternative, a knife, which can be openly carried, fixed, and used in a self-defense situation.

These thoughts have caused me to consider, and alter my approach to my bleeding-heart Liberal friends. So, my approach is a work in process. I am going to appeal to their sense of ethics, and leave them, in the discussion, with two options regarding what even they will acknowledge, that self-defense is a human 'right', self-preservation is a necessity - unless you are suicidal or something. But these two options will be offered something like this: If self-defense is your only option, is it more humane, and less brutal to stab your attacker with a knife, or shoot your attacker with a bullet.

I would liken it to the choice between hanging a person, or stoning them.

Anyhoo.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Could just OC a bastard sword (not cursing >.>), that way you could add hacking to the question of either shoot or stab :D

Beretta92FSLady

Could just OC a bastard sword (not cursing >.>), that way you could add hacking to the question of either shoot or stab :D

I believe it was last year a homeowner used a sword against a burglar, and the neighbors stated they could hear the screams of the man as he was being hacked to death.

Uber_Olafsun

If it is a matter of self defense then any and all means should be used. It is just a matter of how well you are defended. A gun is generally going to be more effective to use and have a greater chance of stopping the threat. A knife is also a means but that also means being closer and having more risk of yourself being harmed by being so close to your attacker. A bastard sword while outside may make a good choice over a knife would be horrible in a house defense situation since you could only thrust and not really swing unless you had a big room or high ceilings. I am all for using whatever means for self defense if you are being attacked to include the kitchen sink (ceramic ones are nice and heavy, steel ones won't shatter).

Dreamer

If self-defense is your only option, is it more humane, and less brutal to stab your attacker with a knife, or shoot your attacker with a bullet.

Any time we are forced to "put down" a dangerous, violent, life-threatening animal, we, as humans, should use the method that is as quick, painless, and sure-to-work as we can employ.

Since lethal injections or gas are not particularly practical "field tools" for use against a hostile human attacker, the handgun is the most humane instrument we can employ to stop a deadly attacker.

My theory is that the minute a human crossed the line into willfully perpetrating deadly violence upon another, they have signaled their willful rejection of the "social contract", and therefore are NOT due the same rights, respect, or delicacy of interaction as a rational, reasonable human being. They have, by their own volition reduced themselves to something slightly less than human, an should be approached and dealt with in the same manner as any other intelligent, but non-human violent attacker.

Would you attempt to reason with a bear or a rabid dog that was leaping for your throat? Would you pepper spray a mountain lion that was lunging toward your child? Would you try to "understand" the social conditioning of a great white shark that was swimming toward your surfboard?

Why should we treat a deadly, psychopathic attacker any differently just because he is on two legs?

Badger Johnson

It's also ridiculous to legislate that a blade less than 4 inches is legal and greater is illegal. It's based on the idea that you need more than four inches to stab the heart up under the rib cage. If you could see what my FMA instructor could do with a 3.5" blade you'd wish you'd been shot instead.

SovereignAxe

The answer to your quandry lies in the fact that antis see the hangun not as a defensive tool, but as an offensive tool. In reality, it is both. Also, unless you have had extensive training, a pocket knife is a terrible defensive tool, more suited to an offensive role in that stealth is a key strength of a knife-something it likely will not have when used in defense.

There are too many stories for people to read about where guns are used in an offensive role, and not enough stories in a defensive role. I think this plays a big part in public perception.

Badger Johnson

The answer to your quandry lies in the fact that antis see the hangun not as a defensive tool, but as an offensive tool. In reality, it is both. Also, unless you have had extensive training, a pocket knife is a terrible defensive tool, more suited to an offensive role in that stealth is a key strength of a knife-something it likely will not have when used in defense.

There are too many stories for people to read about where guns are used in an offensive role, and not enough stories in a defensive role. I think this plays a big part in public perception.

You know, if you think about it the HG is more of a defensive tool than a knife. (I might be stretching it a little to make this point but here goes:)

1. You 'show' your HG to a perp (though not advisable), and 90% of the time, the perps run away. Show your knife and you might get shot;
2. You can delay using your HG until the last minute, meaning it's better as a defensive weapon. (knife is the same, here);
3. You can just fire your HG and most of the time the perp will run away (though warning shots are not advisable, they do work);
4. If people know you have a HG they will not engage. Most perps are not dissuaded by thoughts that their vic might have a knife;
5. Seeing a HG on your hip (OC) is a deterrent; a knife in the pocket on a clip is not really a deterrent, though if spotted in time it might be.

When is a HG offensive. Think about that also. How many perps use the HG offensively? Very few. Most brandish. In fact rule out serial killers and spree killers and hostage killers, and most HG use is defensive (for the perp - they get their cash, and prevent the vic from resisting).

Why the 'anti-s', the legislatures and police can't realize this is puzzling. Well, not puzzling - in fact it shows they don't think about the issue, they knee-jerk and emo react -without- thinking.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

You know, if you think about it the HG is more of a defensive tool than a knife. (I might be stretching it a little to make this point but here goes:)

1. You 'show' your HG to a perp (though not advisable), and 90% of the time, the perps run away. Show your knife and you might get shot;
2. You can delay using your HG until the last minute, meaning it's better as a defensive weapon. (knife is the same, here);
3. You can just fire your HG and most of the time the perp will run away (though warning shots are not advisable, they do work);
4. If people know you have a HG they will not engage. Most perps are not dissuaded by thoughts that their vic might have a knife;
5. Seeing a HG on your hip (OC) is a deterrent; a knife in the pocket on a clip is not really a deterrent, though if spotted in time it might be.

When is a HG offensive. Think about that also. How many perps use the HG offensively? Very few. Most brandish. In fact rule out serial killers and spree killers and hostage killers, and most HG use is defensive (for the perp - they get their cash, and prevent the vic from resisting).

Why the 'anti-s', the legislatures and police can't realize this is puzzling. Well, not puzzling - in fact it shows they don't think about the issue, they knee-jerk and emo react -without- thinking.

Learned this little factoid years back. It still holds true.

A man with a knife that is threatening to use it to hurt/kill someone is much more likely to do so than someone with a firearm that is threatening to use it to hurt/kill someone.

Both are dangerous, but if close enough, the man with the knife if more dangerous.:(

Badger Johnson

Yes that makes sense.

In our FMA class, early 90s, or late 80s, one thing that was being circulated via the 'Net was the horrific photos of actual knife wounds. Though 'experienced' in knife combat training, few people realize the effects of being cut with a really sharp blade, even those doing blade training.

So part of the reason a person might be more willing to use a knife than a HG at those closer ranges is the knife wielder may be aware they can kill but unaware of just how brutal and horrific it was to slice someone. That doesn't fully explain your theory, except that a gun user knows if he shoots someone dies so there may be some reluctance to even take that last step.

Thanks for the comment.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If it is a matter of self defense then any and all means should be used. It is just a matter of how well you are defended.

Effective defense is somewhat a matter of time and distance. The sooner and more distant you can accurately identify and counter your threat, the more effective your defense.

A gun is generally going to be more effective to use and have a greater chance of stopping the threat. A knife is also a means but that also means being closer and having more risk of yourself being harmed by being so close to your attacker. A bastard sword while outside may make a good choice over a knife would be horrible in a house defense situation since you could only thrust and not really swing unless you had a big room or high ceilings. I am all for using whatever means for self defense if you are being attacked to include the kitchen sink (ceramic ones are nice and heavy, steel ones won't shatter).

Good old-fashioned honest, law-abiding citizens need to drop the idea that only weapons are weapons and start coming up with close-quarters alternatives, such as bookcases, fish tanks, ash trays, and table chairs.

Whatever works, and always be prepared to use whatever means are available!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Sorry you were put into a position where you had to make that choice, but you made the right choice.

If you're going to "appeal to the ethics" of people who oppose gun ownership, you might begin by performing dentistry on a chicken.

Badger Johnson

Good old-fashioned honest, law-abiding citizens need to drop the idea that only weapons are weapons and start coming up with close-quarters alternatives, such as bookcases, fish tanks, ash trays, and table chairs.

Whatever works, and always be prepared to use whatever means are available!

To wit: :banana::banana::banana:

[video=youtube;piWCBOsJr-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w[/video]

sudden valley gunner

"I was enjoying my day thinking about my favorite, coffee drink (forgot the name of it) I was going to get going to the library with the family and then I was sitting in jail thinking I just killed someone"
Might be paraphrasing a bit Sarah, but when you told me that at one of the meets, it has stuck with me, and struck a chord with me illustrating very well how things can change very quickly and the need to be armed. There are things that have happened in my past that made me relate to your words. So I hope you don't mind me sharing that.

I am glad it turned out well for you and your family.

On topic I would much rather be shot then sliced or stabbed with a knife. In movies if they want something to be more scary the weapon of choice is the knife, and there is a reason for that.

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
A knife isn't really a defensive weapon, though you may need to use it as such. It is primarily an offensive weapon by design.

A firearm is far superior as a defensive tool, and indeed you could say it reduces violence, as many would be attackers surrender or flee upon defensive presentation of it.

Laws attempting to force peaceable citizens to use any particular tool for their self defence needs are likely lacking in utility. I would even say they lack moral authority.

I hope someday we can omit all the laws and regulation that are dubious in utility and lacking in moral and legal authority.

We can all dream right?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Yes that makes sense.

In our FMA class, early 90s, or late 80s, one thing that was being circulated via the 'Net was the horrific photos of actual knife wounds. Though 'experienced' in knife combat training, few people realize the effects of being cut with a really sharp blade, even those doing blade training.

So part of the reason a person might be more willing to use a knife than a HG at those closer ranges is the knife wielder may be aware they can kill but unaware of just how brutal and horrific it was to slice someone. That doesn't fully explain your theory, except that a gun user knows if he shoots someone dies so there may be some reluctance to even take that last step.

Thanks for the comment.

My childhood doctor, who was also the county coroner stated he would much rather be sliced than stabbed. With a slice he thought it more easy to repair wounds and see the damage. Whereas stab wounds were more difficult to repair and see, as in perforated bowels and major organs like heart and liver. Of course if you slice a major artery you bleed out fast and there is not time to repair anything.

I would think a gunshot wound would be similar but worse than a stab wound as both are penetrating.

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
When shooting to incapacitate (stop the threat) you are specifically aiming for shots that will do major damage to vital systems of the body, so yes these can be and are often horrific wounds in terms of their effect on the body.

Unfortunately for the aggressor, the wounds that are sustained by someone's self defence are the responsibility of the aggressor.

beebobby

When an anti states that my HG was designed to kill, I counter that my HG was designed to defend as it can perform that function quite well without even being fired and that if my HG was designed to kill, and it never has, perhaps it is a bad design.

slowfiveoh

Having family-oriented ties to a significant portion of the lesbian and gay community in Sacramento, I can tell you that in said culture, liberalism is the political stance of choice. Unlike the Christian oriented conservative movements, the liberal left was far more receptive to taking up the cause. One of the truly few noble and pure pursuits of the left, and one of the few I have ever agreed wholly with.

As part of the political party many homosexuals, from my extensive observation within the community, have taken to the rest of the parties views as not just part of their day-to-day support of said party, but by conversing with their friends.

This is where the conservative republicans have gotten our national heritage completely wrong. This nation is not Christian. This nation pursues individual equality for all, regardless of creed, color, or sexual orientation. It has not always been so, but then again, we also viewed those of African descent as 1/3 of a white (Anglic) person.

This is why the right will not get, ever, a majority of homosexual votes. Religious doctrine instructs them to interject Christian morals and values as taught within their religion, into politics. This in a nation that has a 1st Amendment enumeration recognizing the prohibition of religion driven laws as part of its very first amendment.

If the right can ever cross that hurdle, you would find many homosexuals agreeing perhaps with a lot of the rights political motives.

I'll let you guys know when that happens as I will have a new place to store my perishable, frozen goods. Hell.

It is absolutely true that being raised in California does in fact slowly indoctrinate you into the liberal way of thinking. I escaped this train of thought when I visited the world outside of California, and measured it against my upbringing. My father was very active in taking us shooting. I know that around age 6 he began taking us out regularly. By "us", I am talking about myself, and my two younger sisters. We developed an understanding that guns weren't evil, but merely just a tool akin to a fork or various other eating utensils.

It dawned on us very early that what he had proven to us at a very young age was that if you didn't need to eat (shoot), you didn't need to mess with the fork (gun). Just leave it be.

For the record, my father stored his guns at the bottom of his closet, no locks, leaning against the wall. Probably 6-7 of them at one point. Ammo was always readily handy nearby, on the shelf. In fact, the only gun that ever had a lock on it was a rather expensive Benelli 12 Gauge that my dad treasured.

At 32, I am still desperately waiting to be proven wrong, and have a firearm jump up and kill me and my siblings. Yet, in the aforementioned community, guns were such a taboo topic that if you even mentioned the word, flowery, limp-wristed guffaws would shortly follow (No disrespect, just sayin, some of you guys are pretty feminine heh), and you would have an extremely brief conversation about how deadly and dangerous they were, and how just having one would cause you, your uncle, your cousins, your nephews, and your pets to be murdered post-haste.

Change comes from within, and it is in these evolving dangerous times that organizations like the Pink Pistols perhaps, could do the most for their communities.

I also think that the pervading Christian members of this community could do the movement an enormous favor by including as many polite, friendly, open carrying homosexuals as possible into the movement, without leveraging their religious beliefs to chase them away or shun them.

I know this is where I am internally scoffed by many members for not understanding the "power of their faith", or the "importance of God in all matters". That's ok though, because this is where I internally scoff the ignorance of espousing equality, so long as we are talking about "Christians", and not homosexuals.

We all have our belief structures, and we should all be allowed to exercise our faith as we see fit. However, enacting laws under color of religion (Like that?) is just as acceptable as being stopped by Officer Harless as a law abiding, armed citizen.

One must fully come to terms with the word "Equality", and not divide it into subsets. Once you can do that, you can move on to the sovereignty of the individual, and in relation, said individuals inalienable right to self defense from all threats.

SovereignAxe

I think you guys missed my point. My point wasn't how much a gun or a knife are used with effect in an illegal attack, but which role they are designed for.

This guy gets it:

A knife isn't really a defensive weapon, though you may need to use it as such. It is primarily an offensive weapon by design.

A firearm is far superior as a defensive tool, and indeed you could say it reduces violence, as many would be attackers surrender or flee upon defensive presentation of it.

Laws attempting to force peaceable citizens to use any particular tool for their self defence needs are likely lacking in utility. I would even say they lack moral authority.

I hope someday we can omit all the laws and regulation that are dubious in utility and lacking in moral and legal authority.

We can all dream right?

BY DESIGN, a knife is a terrible defense weapon. The only way to use it is to get up close to your attacker, which isn't something you want to do unless you have to. These attribute make it particularly effective as an offensive weapon provided the attacker has the element of surprise. In a self-defense situation, the attacker almost always has the element of surprise, which is what makes the knife a poor defensive weapon.

By design, a gun is as effective at defense as it is for offense. The problem is that antis don't see it that way, and center only on the offensive aspects of its use.