Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waukesha Gun Show Employees

Waukesha Gun Show Employees

Rather than writing out this twice i will just post the letter to the owner of the co. that puts this show on it explains what happened.

Bob,
    I feel it is only right to make you aware of the actions of your employees. My girlfriend and I attended your show in Waukesha on 9/17. When we arrived at the location and went to the admission table to pay (approx. 1:30-2:00pm) the individual you had working admissions proceeded to make in appropriate comments to my girlfriend of a sexual nature. This was her first time going to a gun show and due to his actions she has stated she has no desire to attend again. After paying admission we proceeded to the gun check table. As we walked away from the admissions table to gun check table the individual then made grunting/moaning type noises. We proceeded inside at my urging as she wanted to leave at that point. As we exited the show the same individual made the comment "Bye Baby."

I find it very disturbing that you allow employees to act this way especially ones with such direct contact with the public. I hope you understand the damage this does to the efforts being made by numerous 2nd amendment groups and gun enthusiast groups (especially the NRA) to draw women into the hobby.Not to mention the 4H organization that's name is on the hall your use for the show. I will be posting this letter on the firearm and outdoors forums that i am on. To be fair and just i will also post any response you may send back as to let every individual decide if he or she will continue to visit your shows.

XXXXXXX

If its the same geezers who normally work that show I am not surprised. Sorry that she had to go through that.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Did you confront this individual? At least ask his name?

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a hothead, but the reason I carry is to defend myself and my family, including of course my wife.

Now obviously, this type of incident probably did not call for drawing your gun, but I would be confronting the individual, protecting my wife from an obvious verbal sexual attack.

OK, she's your girlfiend, do you not feel responsible for her safety?

Angry Unacceptable behavior

Civil War Guy - I am so very distressed (and angered) to learn of this situation. Your lady friend is both attractive and very classy and not deserving of anything but the utmost respect. DO NOT BACK DOWN. Make sure the show promoters are aware of what happened. The behavior of the show employee is totally unacceptable and beneath contempt!

And, please, let your lady know that I send my love and a special hug from a friend.

Yellow Cat (Jim)
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    but I would be confronting the individual, protecting my wife from an obvious verbal sexual attack.
    What are you going to do? Go back and fourth name calling? How do you protect someone from "verbal" attacks? Trollers gonnna troll.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Would you stand there and allow someone to talk dirty to your wife/girlfriend? "Hey Baby, how 'bout a BJ?"

Really?

Wow, that is pretty ridiculous and disgusting. I think you handled the situation without escalating it while you were mad. That was the right call. Personally I would have said something (politely) to the guy, and then proceeded into the show. Once inside I would have found the nearest employee and asked for management on the spot. Let us know how they respond.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    Would you stand there and allow someone to talk dirty to your wife/girlfriend? "Hey Baby, how 'bout a BJ?"

Really?
    Yes, really. I don't care if they talk trash about my family, race, religion, walk of life anything I don't care. Words are words and my skin is pretty damn thick.

As someone who carries a firearm daily, it is my responsibility to avoid confrontation more so than I would if I wasn't carrying.

EDIT: And I wouldn't "stand there." Like the OP in the situation they were on their way somewhere and came across a troll IRL... The OP did the right thing, kept on going and notified management about their troll.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 09-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter
    ...I would be confronting the individual, protecting my wife from an obvious verbal sexual attack.
    ...do you not feel responsible for her safety?
    Getting the name would be good, in order to make sure the manager on duty knew exactly who to come down on.

As for confronting him, something like this probably would have worked nicely, until finding a manager:
    "Your actions are completely inappropriate & your sexual advances unwelcome. Stop right now."
    (in as loud a voice as she cares to use, maybe pointing at him, making sure he's embarrassed in front of everyone there; most abusers don't like attention being drawn to their acts)

And while part of me likes the chivalric model (who doesn't like being protected & pampered?), most of me says a woman should stand up for herself. Next to & equal with her partner, if she has one. (See sig, about covering fire.)

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter
    Would you stand there and allow someone to talk dirty to your wife/girlfriend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz
    Words are words and my skin is pretty damn thick.
    it is my responsibility to avoid confrontation more so than I would if I wasn't carrying.
    ...The OP did the right thing, kept on going and notified management about their troll.
    How to strike a balance between properly quashing a jerk & ignoring him?
    Yeah, it's just words. Probably that's all it'd be.
    But I'd bet that with that attitude he doesn't always stop there, & if she'd been alone he would have been more aggressive. If he's willing to act like that in public, with witnesses, thinking that's acceptable behaviour, what's he like alone with someone?
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-18-2011 at 06:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Maybe I am just getting old and have a low-BS tolerance...

I would have whispered in his ear that "you are going to apologize this very second or I will change your life".
    Gun Control Defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning or carrying a firearm.

McX
    an unfortunate example of civilized, polite citizens having to deal with knuckle dragging barbarians.

I am going to bet that not one thing is done about this, Bob has the same "employees" for years for his shows I know this isn't the first time he has heard something like this, this is why we(wife and I ) no longer attend his shows,the guys he has working them quite litterally get away with anything they wish to do.
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

Always has to be some scumbags to ruin it for the rest of us. Sorry to hear about that experience, I say you handled it well. I haven't seen anything at a gun show worth the price in years anyway. A bunch off aholes that think their crap is worth millions but your stuff is overpriced.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    How about if one of us with an attractive spouse or girl friend takes her and a video recorder up to the gun show today. Record him doing his insulting behavior, get his name and then post the whole thing on YouTube.... Best if you recorded a lead in identifying where it happened and explaining that it has happened before. Priceless!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Question Sheller coming out of his shell?

Quote Originally Posted by sheller View Post
    Originally Posted by xd shooter

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a hothead, but the reason I carry is to defend myself and my family, including of course my wife.

Now obviously, this type of incident probably did not call for drawing your gun, but I would be confronting the individual, protecting my wife from an obvious verbal sexual attack.

OK, she's your girlfiend, do you not feel responsible for her safety?
    So according to your post you might draw your gun for a verbal altercation. I hope you live far, far away from Wisconsin.
    "According to his post", he said, "this type of incident probably did not call for drawing your gun" . You wouldn't be trying to stir the pot there, would you, buddy?
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Zeus:

+1000. I go to at least a dozen gun shows a year. But for rare exceptions there are no deals at gun shows. The dealers seem to think that they have a captive audience and people will buy out of spur of the moment emotions. Sometimes I find a deal if someone is liquidating an estate but not often. I attended a gun show in MN this past weekend. There is a long time dealer at that show that claimed he was going out of business and everything he had was 10% off. As a former dealer I got into a discussion with him and found that before the show he had marked everything up 15%. Says he wants a piece of the Obamascare before he retires. And so the world turns.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    "According to his post", he said, "this type of incident probably did not call for drawing your gun" . You wouldn't be trying to stir the pot there, would you, buddy?
    Not trying to start anything, if you condone drawing a weapon during a verbal confrontation, I can only hope you stay close to the Whitewater area which at the moment is far away from me. And no, I am not your buddy.
    Gentlemen, let's try to not be contentious and remember we are working for the same things - on the same team. How we are perceived by the public, legislature and the media is important.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by sheller
    if you condone drawing a weapon during a verbal confrontation
    The person you quoted specifically said that scenario was NOT reason to draw:
    Quote Originally Posted by xd
    this type of incident probably did not call for drawing your gun
    so yes, you are trying to cause problems where there are none.

As for buying @ shows, you'd have to know the merchandise & what's a good price.
    I generally don't, so if I go alone it's usually to browse.
    With the internet it's not hard to find what you want at a decent price.
    Problem is finding it in-state, so there's no messing around w/ FFLs & registration.

Here's the contact email given on the Bob & Rocco web page:
    Pucci@gmaprinting.com
    Says they're based in Delavan.
    Marlon, I cc'd you on my email to them.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-18-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added email

Thank you MKEGal I did receive it as usual i am again in awe of your ability to make me grab a dictionary for some words lol.

I also somehow doubt that i will receive a response which puts me in quite a dilema i dot want this guy turning anyone off the hobby because of his actions but i am not sure where to go from here as to have it taken care of without running the risk of it making all gun enthusiasts look bad (aka taking it to the media)

Shotgun I did get your message as well and i will let her know and see if she is willing to go that route.

McX
    The person I specifically quoted said that the scenario was PROBABLY NOT reason to draw. You forgot the key word. And no, I am not causing problems where there are none. A big difference between not and probably not.
    might this be the return of the legendary draw or no draw thread?...........probably not. Maybe let them for damn sure see it on your hip thread?

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    That sleazy behavior sucks. I hope you at least get an apology from Bob (doubt it...).

The last time I took my wife to the range, there was another guy there with his girlfriend and he was being a total a$$ to her; very condescending and chauvenistic. And she was just putting up with it. It upset my wife so much she has not gone back with me since. Just shortly before this was when I finally convinced her to actually try shooting a gun and she was starting to like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon .45 View Post
    That sleazy behavior sucks. I hope you at least get an apology from Bob (doubt it...).

The last time I took my wife to the range, there was another guy there with his girlfriend and he was being a total a$$ to her; very condescending and chauvenistic. And she was just putting up with it. It upset my wife so much she has not gone back with me since. Just shortly before this was when I finally convinced her to actually try shooting a gun and she was starting to like it...
    This is why we need to be especially diligent of correcting individuals who discourage women from shooting or anything gun related. Kind of like some sort of a Patriot Guard Riders of sorts for female gun enthusiasts if that makes sense

A rose by any other name....

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gentlemen, let's try to not be contentious and remember we are working for the same things - on the same team. How we are perceived by the public, legislature and the media is important.
    When a member tries to change the meaning of another member's post, they deserve to be called out on it. They have simply found a new way to circumvent rule 16.
    (16) NO FALSE ATTRIBUTIONS: Editing quoted posts by another member to make it appear as if they said something other than what they intended will NOT be tolerated!
    and I will not put up with it. The founding principle of this forum is truth and accuracy and the member in question has used neither. If you disagree, Grapeshot, then I guess I am on the wrong forum....
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    When a member tries to change the meaning of another member's post, they deserve to be called out on it. They have simply found a new way to circumvent rule 16.
    and I will not put up with it. The founding principle of this forum is truth and accuracy and the member in question has used neither. If you disagree, Grapeshot, then I guess I am on the wrong forum....
    First off, Grapeshot did not disagree or agree with you. He remained neutral. Second, he has a point, the argument is unnecessary and puts the forum in a bad light. I think we all agree that drawing a weapon in this situation would be inappropriate.

MKEgal,

Would you be willing to post the text of the email you sent? Thanks.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-18-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast