• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Falsely identifying as law enforcement, how often does this happen?

decklin

This sort of thing happens alot more than you think. Last winter in Tacoma we had problems with people posing as police and city workers to gain access to homes belonging to elderly citizens. I don't know if they caught them or not.

amlevin

How many here bother to ask for Department Issued ID when stopped at night for a "traffic infraction".

Here you sit, alongside the highway with those flashing blue/red lights. "Someone" approaches you in the dark, shines a flashlight in your eyes, and requests/demands "License, Registration, and proof of Insurance". Yes, you can make out something that looks like a uniform (although nowadays it's usually a black jumpsuit) with all the "Cop Gear" attached, along with a shiny badge. Are you really SURE that this person is a Law Officer? Is that vehicle really a Police Car? After all, all you can see is that spotlight shining into your car and the flashing lights because it's night and they are essentially blinding you to any detail (which incidentally they count on).

How many here have actually asked for ID before complying?

These "imitators" count on the fact that almost nobody ever does.

Dave Workman

It probably happens about every time some boob flashes one of those CCW badges you can buy for $50 in a magazine.