Thread: Falsely identifying as law enforcement, how often does this happen?

Falsely identifying as law enforcement, how often does this happen?

ATLANTA -- Police in Atlanta are hunting several suspects who posed as FBI agents Saturday to rob and shoot a man, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/17...us-fbi-agents/

Exclamation It Happens More Than You Think....

A quick search using Startpage shows literally dozens of these incidents. Most are home invasions done by "Fake Police". Here are a few of many: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...y_fake_po.html

and: http://www.fox16.com/news/local/stor...bGvTUZfew.cspx

and: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/cri...-home-invasion.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

It happens about as often as no-knock warrants get the wrong house. Which is, not very much. I have the feeling though, that a lot of the places raided by crooks like that, were places where crooks or drug dealers lived.

The problem is, as a law abiding citizen, that means it's around a 50 / 50 chance that the guys that come through the door saying "police" actually are, even if the chance is remote, when it happens it's a tough split second choice to make.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post
    It happens about as often as no-knock warrants get the wrong house. Which is, not very much. I have the feeling though, that a lot of the places raided by crooks like that, were places where crooks or drug dealers lived.

The problem is, as a law abiding citizen, that means it's around a 50 / 50 chance that the guys that come through the door saying "police" actually are, even if the chance is remote, when it happens it's a tough split second choice to make.

Yes, this is a huge issue of criminals identifying as a LEO of any sort. A split second decision to say the least.

So just a thought IF one was to post a sign at their door saying "no firearms without express written permission including Law Enforcement officers" on their house does that mean the police could not enter armed with out written permission??? I know Buffalo Wild Wings has a similar sign on thier door and LEOs i know have said they cant go in unless they were called by the restaurant.

It would seem with said sign if someone broke regardless of what they said it would eliminate the split second thought cause of the arguement that they didnt have permission to carry and you saw a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by civilwarguy View Post
    So just a thought IF one was to post a sign at their door saying "no firearms without express written permission including Law Enforcement officers" on their house does that mean the police could not enter armed with out written permission??? I know Buffalo Wild Wings has a similar sign on thier door and LEOs i know have said they cant go in unless they were called by the restaurant.

It would seem with said sign if someone broke regardless of what they said it would eliminate the split second thought cause of the arguement that they didnt have permission to carry and you saw a gun.
    If I were the cops I would say sorry we can't respond to your calls for help since you don't allow firearms, besides you must be mistaken about the armed robbery call. The bad guys must have seen your sign and not brought their guns in. Have a nice day....click

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    If I were the cops I would say sorry we can't respond to your calls for help since you don't allow firearms, besides you must be mistaken about the armed robbery call. The bad guys must have seen your sign and not brought their guns in. Have a nice day....click
    The job of the police is not to protect us... already been proven! If they come to my house for an armed robbery call they will be coming to pick up a body and take a report not to arrest a bad guy.

And Bad Guys cant carry in School zones but they dont tell them that there must not be a school shooting cause the bad guys cant carry there so you comment is full of holes anyways.
    Last edited by civilwarguy; 09-19-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarity

the job of the police is not to protect us... Already been proven! If they come to my house for an armed robbery call they will be coming to pick up a body and take a report not to arrest a bad guy.

And bad guys cant carry in school zones but they dont tell them that there must not be a school shooting cause the bad guys cant carry there so you comment is full of holes anyways.
    it is called sarcasim....try it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    it is called sarcasim....try it.
    I apologize sarcasm is sometimes hard to be sure of around here so i try to treat comments ar serious unless overly obvious otherwise

Campaign Veteran
    I apologize sarcasm is sometimes hard to be sure of around here so i try to treat comments ar serious unless overly obvious otherwise
    Whenever I read a post, or anything on/from the internet, I imagine the voice of Ben Stein reading it.

On a side note, an emergency call from my house would go something like this:

Dispatcher: 911, what is your emergency?
    Me: No emergency. Someone broke into my house.
    Dispatcher: Is the suspect armed?
    Me: Not anymore.
    Dispatcher: Is the suspect still in the home?
    Me: Yup, he's still here.
    Dispatcher: Are you and your family safe?
    Me: Oh yeah, we're safe.
    Dispatcher: I've dispatched units to your location.
    Me: Great! Tell them there's no need to hurry.
    Dispatcher: I thought the suspect was still in the home?
    Me: Oh, he's still here. I don't think he'll move until the coroner gets here to pick him up...........
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com