• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Falsely identifying as law enforcement, how often does this happen?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

RR_Broccoli

It happens about as often as no-knock warrants get the wrong house. Which is, not very much. I have the feeling though, that a lot of the places raided by crooks like that, were places where crooks or drug dealers lived.

The problem is, as a law abiding citizen, that means it's around a 50 / 50 chance that the guys that come through the door saying "police" actually are, even if the chance is remote, when it happens it's a tough split second choice to make.

Packfanatic

+1000

It happens about as often as no-knock warrants get the wrong house. Which is, not very much. I have the feeling though, that a lot of the places raided by crooks like that, were places where crooks or drug dealers lived.

The problem is, as a law abiding citizen, that means it's around a 50 / 50 chance that the guys that come through the door saying "police" actually are, even if the chance is remote, when it happens it's a tough split second choice to make.

Yes, this is a huge issue of criminals identifying as a LEO of any sort. A split second decision to say the least.

civilwarguy

So just a thought IF one was to post a sign at their door saying "no firearms without express written permission including Law Enforcement officers" on their house does that mean the police could not enter armed with out written permission??? I know Buffalo Wild Wings has a similar sign on thier door and LEOs i know have said they cant go in unless they were called by the restaurant.

It would seem with said sign if someone broke regardless of what they said it would eliminate the split second thought cause of the arguement that they didnt have permission to carry and you saw a gun.

DocWalker

So just a thought IF one was to post a sign at their door saying "no firearms without express written permission including Law Enforcement officers" on their house does that mean the police could not enter armed with out written permission??? I know Buffalo Wild Wings has a similar sign on thier door and LEOs i know have said they cant go in unless they were called by the restaurant.

It would seem with said sign if someone broke regardless of what they said it would eliminate the split second thought cause of the arguement that they didnt have permission to carry and you saw a gun.

If I were the cops I would say sorry we can't respond to your calls for help since you don't allow firearms, besides you must be mistaken about the armed robbery call. The bad guys must have seen your sign and not brought their guns in. Have a nice day....click

civilwarguy

If I were the cops I would say sorry we can't respond to your calls for help since you don't allow firearms, besides you must be mistaken about the armed robbery call. The bad guys must have seen your sign and not brought their guns in. Have a nice day....click

The job of the police is not to protect us... already been proven! If they come to my house for an armed robbery call they will be coming to pick up a body and take a report not to arrest a bad guy.

And Bad Guys cant carry in School zones but they dont tell them that there must not be a school shooting cause the bad guys cant carry there so you comment is full of holes anyways.

Last edited:

DocWalker

the job of the police is not to protect us... Already been proven! If they come to my house for an armed robbery call they will be coming to pick up a body and take a report not to arrest a bad guy.

And bad guys cant carry in school zones but they dont tell them that there must not be a school shooting cause the bad guys cant carry there so you comment is full of holes anyways.

it is called sarcasim....try it.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I apologize sarcasm is sometimes hard to be sure of around here so i try to treat comments ar serious unless overly obvious otherwise

Whenever I read a post, or anything on/from the internet, I imagine the voice of Ben Stein reading it. ;)

On a side note, an emergency call from my house would go something like this:

Dispatcher: 911, what is your emergency?
Me: No emergency. Someone broke into my house.
Dispatcher: Is the suspect armed?
Me: Not anymore.
Dispatcher: Is the suspect still in the home?
Me: Yup, he's still here.
Dispatcher: Are you and your family safe?
Me: Oh yeah, we're safe.
Dispatcher: I've dispatched units to your location.
Me: Great! Tell them there's no need to hurry.
Dispatcher: I thought the suspect was still in the home?
Me: Oh, he's still here. I don't think he'll move until the coroner gets here to pick him up...........