Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll my own.. holsters

Roll my own.. holsters

I dont much like the plastic/nylon holsters or SERPA-type rigs that are available for my .45, so I decided to make my own.
    Going to make a couple of them, actually, including a flap-holster to keep the pistol from getting all dirty when working out on my lands,and dusty when sawing up wood in my shop.
    Sooo. here's the 1st serious one (made a yaqui-type prototype a few weeks back). Made my own belt too, while I was at it..

Cut the blank from a shoulder of cowhide in 6oz I had on-hand..This 1st one is punched for left-hand carry, the next one will be for right-hand.

Decided to dye this one a dark brown.

Once the dye and the protective,clear top-coat dried, I wrap it around the haft of my mallet and bend/stretch the leather a bit..

And end up with this-

I didnt wet-form this one. It forms itself nicely enough, and I can use this one for other pistols .45s of 4"-5" lengths down the road. Just finished stitching up (pics later tonite or tommorow), and will trim-up and dress the edges a bit more before she's completely finished.
    But, all told, with about 3 hrs work,overall,for a decent DIY leather carry rig.

Pretty good work for your first serious attempt. Be sure to post some pics of the final product. How much does it cost you to make a holster like that?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Ty. And not that much, if you already have the tools and materials, which I did. To start it off from scratch,without having the leather,punches, thread, dyes etc. figure around $60 or so.
    In my case, I had everything on-hand already due to the knife sheaths Id been making- except for the dyes.
    You can pick up shoulders and sides of leather of various thicknesses from someplace like Tandy Leather for around $15- 40, and have enough leather on-hand to make several holsters and mag pouches.

Which, I did- mag pouch for the brown one last nite, and finished my black one yesterday morning- making the mag pouch in black to match the black one later today..

Also going to dye up an existing sheath I made for a walnut-handled knife I made- in the brown, for a complete set, later today.

Now, I just need a nice, blued 1911 w/ walnut grips I'll make to go with the brown set... lol
    Last edited by j4l; 09-20-2011 at 08:51 AM.

And once I get my black mag pouch done, my Black rig will be just about complete...

Pretty soon, Ill be in full-blown Luke Short mode lol

Completed the black mag carrier a few min ago. Turned out pretty good. Made this one with a belt-clip instead of the loops like the brown one.
    Now, my all-black, daily-carry rig is finally complete Having this week made my own gun belt, holster and mag carrier - knife and sheath I made a few months ago,..

And, of course, my brown set- with Gator for the knife sheath- will make a matching brown leather sheath for the next knife Im making.

Great looking holsters all I have done is made a Para cord belt and bracelets. I might try making a holster for my AR pistol!

Cough**ducttapeholsters**cough

Seriously, nice job. Wonder if on 2.0 you could do some wet vacuum molding? I don't know how they get a really tight snap fit on some of the Galco leather holsters, but I bet it's like the Kydex vacuum style deals. A strong suction thing and a pressure pad - maybe a blue gun of the same type. I'm envious though of your work!! Keep it up.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Cough**ducttapeholsters**cough

Seriously, nice job. Wonder if on 2.0 you could do some wet vacuum molding? I don't know how they get a really tight snap fit on some of the Galco leather holsters, but I bet it's like the Kydex vacuum style deals. A strong suction thing and a pressure pad - maybe a blue gun of the same type. I'm envious though of your work!! Keep it up.
    Lol. ty. Not sure how they form em, actually. This was a totally 1st attempt at actual holsters, so maybe down the road Ill figure that out. In this case, these are intended to fit a variety of full-size semi's.- As it stands now, they fit the 845, 1911A1, XD and Glock 21.

Looks good! Keep it up! Next thing you will know you will have people buying them from you. I am holding off on the sewn leather holsters until I have a sewing machine... maybe?

If you rub some saddle soap along the edges of the leather (as though you are polishing it) it will smooth it out and help prevent it from fraying over time.

Bobby
    Cleveland's Holsters, LLC https://clevelandsholsters.com/

"When your life depends on it, you can depend on Cleveland's Holsters!"

Made in Wisconsin with 100% American manufactured materials.

We give away a free holster every month on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleve...19323708154588

j4l:

A tip of the proverbial hat to 'ya for the
    excellent pictoral account of your do-it-yourself belt, holsters, etc!

Ty, y'all.
    The sewing/stitching thing, dont worry about-tandy leather sells punches that you use to punch the holes in the leather 1st, then you go back and stitch it at assembly time. As to durability, I've been wearing these almost 24/7 as I go about my days,and they hold up just fine.
    I begin work this week on the flap holster I was originally intending to make, before side-tracking myself and making these..I'll document that build as well.

After that, I intend to build up a shoulder-rig- hopefully in the next couple of weeks (I've got 2 more knives ,and sheaths for them ,to build this week as well, so the low-priority shoulder rig will have to wait)

Began work today on the flap holster for my .45
    Here's the step-by-step (more or less) that I have so far.

punching the stitch-holes ,like i mentioned above- no machine needed, though one would make things faster and neater, I suppose...

This one will have a belt clip, rather than the belt -loop attachment method of the earlier holsters.

Now, Im off to dye the leather, then apply the sealants- hopefully get around to the stitching together later tonite or tommorow.

The flap holster looks pretty cool so far. What are you planning on using to keep the flap closed?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Ty, it's coming along nicely now. -I intend to use a snap to secure the flap. Idiot I am, I start making it, and realize Im out of snap parts. So, will need to run to store in a day or so and get more in order to finish this...
    Otherwise, is now completed-

Dyed it this evening-

Then did my stretching/distressing routine on the leather

The Triumvirate -matching Holster, mag pouch, knife and sheath

And when I can get time to sit down and finish it off- and dye it in the matching brown like these above, my next belt on which to put all this lol

You didn't carve that belt, did you? If so, that is awesome! If not, where did you get it?

Nah havent started carvings yet. Got it at the outlet that I get the rest of my leathers and hides from. Just got to cut it to shape, punch the holes, add the buckle to it, and then dye it.

Started work on my brown gunbelt, but running low on dye, so will wait to finish it when I get more.

Did a test of the dye on a scrap piece of it from when I cut it down to my length

Still drying, but looks like it will turn out nice..

hmm.. Im thinking the next knife project is going to be a bit of a tough one for engineering the sheath to carry it..

Those all look amazing!!! I wish I could do that. Someday I will have to learn. Where did you learn to do that?

Actually I'm totally figuring this out on my own as I go, and believe me- with a ton of trial and error before I got to even this level. I found a local source for my leathers and hides, and the tools to work with it, and have just gone from there lol.
    My earliest attempts from a few months back are horribly crude and primitive compared to this so... lol. There are still quiet a few things Im struggling to figure out, and I'm also making do with improvising with what few tools I have on my present budget.
    But-all that said, once it "clicks" it's a lot easier than one would think.Time consuming though. Some items take a couple of days to make.
    I originally began doing all of this for myself, and my own needs, as I wasnt seeing things available "over the counter" for prices I could afford, or that were how I wanted them- so I decided to make my own.
    Had a few folks see the results, and ask to purchase some for them as well. So, it's all word of mouth, and a little extra $ on the side.

Got some more dye today, so resumed work on the carved, leather gunbelt.. now my Brown rig is complete as well..

Dyeing..

Dried, top-coated, and Brass buckle attached-

Flap holster rig-

And with the original left-hand, brown holster

Oh, yeah, and was given a great price I couldnt resist on this hide, from the place I get my leather and skins from....Think I have some funky/creative ideas for this for the sheath for that Monster Hog Slaying knife above..

Attended a party of an old friend last night,at their home. One of their neighbors, also attending, works for a landscapping outfit of some sort. A discussion of my holster and sheath-making work of late led him to request some items to be made for his use at work.

He said he has some sheath/holsters that uses for carrying some of the tools he uses -shears, and other bladed tools that are made of leather-but are not form-fitted or made for the tools he actually uses. They are more of the carpenter/contractor's tool belt rigs used in construction for hammers and such. A sort of improvised rig.

He took me across the street to his place, and showed me his rig and his tools, and I saw exactly what he meant. He said the stuff like this that you get at Home Depot and the like is mostly crap-
    it wears out quickly, and- exposed to the waters,heat, sweat and everything in this hot,humid climate when they are working just destroys this stuff in no-time.
    So, he asked if I would be able to make some items specificly fit to the tools they use and carry, that would be more robust, and resistant to the heat/humidity/water and such.

We discussed a number of ideas for such builds, including some particular features ,water-resistant finishes and such. So, I agreed to work up a couple of prototypes over the next few weeks, based on these ideas plus some of my own,and Ill begin on these very soon.
    He indicating he'd be willing to pay or barter (more on that in a sec) for quality,durable equipment- and that the other members of his crew, once they see such items would def. be looking to get some as well.

He and or one of the other members of his crew also happen to have one of the coveted Trappers' permits for Alligator. They often encounter large ones during their work,including an 8-footer they recently had to trap and kill when it tried to attack one of their crew. Naturally, they got a lot of meat, and .. ;D Gator hide from their score. Win-win. So.. I may well barter some of these items I make in exchange for some regular access to some fresh meat, and hides with which to make more product!

Ill, of course, document the builds here, as always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast