• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roll my own.. holsters

j4l

I dont much like the plastic/nylon holsters or SERPA-type rigs that are available for my .45, so I decided to make my own.
Going to make a couple of them, actually, including a flap-holster to keep the pistol from getting all dirty when working out on my lands,and dusty when sawing up wood in my shop.
Sooo. here's the 1st serious one (made a yaqui-type prototype a few weeks back). Made my own belt too, while I was at it..

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Cut the blank from a shoulder of cowhide in 6oz I had on-hand..This 1st one is punched for left-hand carry, the next one will be for right-hand.

Decided to dye this one a dark brown.

hdb003.jpg

hdb001.jpg

Once the dye and the protective,clear top-coat dried, I wrap it around the haft of my mallet and bend/stretch the leather a bit..

hdb004.jpg

hdb005.jpg

And end up with this-

hdb006.jpg

hdb007.jpg

hdb009.jpg

hdb0010.jpg

j4l

I didnt wet-form this one. It forms itself nicely enough, and I can use this one for other pistols .45s of 4"-5" lengths down the road. Just finished stitching up (pics later tonite or tommorow), and will trim-up and dress the edges a bit more before she's completely finished.
But, all told, with about 3 hrs work,overall,for a decent DIY leather carry rig.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Pretty good work for your first serious attempt. Be sure to post some pics of the final product. How much does it cost you to make a holster like that?

j4l

Ty. And not that much, if you already have the tools and materials, which I did. To start it off from scratch,without having the leather,punches, thread, dyes etc. figure around $60 or so.
In my case, I had everything on-hand already due to the knife sheaths Id been making- except for the dyes.
You can pick up shoulders and sides of leather of various thicknesses from someplace like Tandy Leather for around $15- 40, and have enough leather on-hand to make several holsters and mag pouches.

Which, I did- mag pouch for the brown one last nite, and finished my black one yesterday morning- making the mag pouch in black to match the black one later today..

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

Also going to dye up an existing sheath I made for a walnut-handled knife I made- in the brown, for a complete set, later today.

hdb008.jpg

Now, I just need a nice, blued 1911 w/ walnut grips I'll make to go with the brown set... lol

Last edited:

j4l

And once I get my black mag pouch done, my Black rig will be just about complete...

hb0006.jpg

Pretty soon, Ill be in full-blown Luke Short mode lol

hblukeshort.jpg

j4l

Completed the black mag carrier a few min ago. Turned out pretty good. Made this one with a belt-clip instead of the loops like the brown one.
Now, my all-black, daily-carry rig is finally complete :) Having this week made my own gun belt, holster and mag carrier - knife and sheath I made a few months ago,..

hb0009.jpg

hb0010.jpg

hb0014.jpg

hb0012.jpg

And, of course, my brown set- with Gator for the knife sheath- will make a matching brown leather sheath for the next knife Im making.

hb0013.jpg

Badger Johnson

Cough**ducttapeholsters**cough

Seriously, nice job. Wonder if on 2.0 you could do some wet vacuum molding? I don't know how they get a really tight snap fit on some of the Galco leather holsters, but I bet it's like the Kydex vacuum style deals. A strong suction thing and a pressure pad - maybe a blue gun of the same type. I'm envious though of your work!! Keep it up. :p

j4l

Cough**ducttapeholsters**cough

Seriously, nice job. Wonder if on 2.0 you could do some wet vacuum molding? I don't know how they get a really tight snap fit on some of the Galco leather holsters, but I bet it's like the Kydex vacuum style deals. A strong suction thing and a pressure pad - maybe a blue gun of the same type. I'm envious though of your work!! Keep it up. :p

Lol. ty. Not sure how they form em, actually. This was a totally 1st attempt at actual holsters, so maybe down the road Ill figure that out. In this case, these are intended to fit a variety of full-size semi's.- As it stands now, they fit the 845, 1911A1, XD and Glock 21.

cleveland

Looks good! Keep it up! Next thing you will know you will have people buying them from you. I am holding off on the sewn leather holsters until I have a sewing machine... maybe?

If you rub some saddle soap along the edges of the leather (as though you are polishing it) it will smooth it out and help prevent it from fraying over time.

Bobby

MilProGuy

j4l:

A tip of the proverbial hat to 'ya for the
excellent pictoral account of your do-it-yourself belt, holsters, etc!

j4l

Ty, y'all.
The sewing/stitching thing, dont worry about-tandy leather sells punches that you use to punch the holes in the leather 1st, then you go back and stitch it at assembly time. As to durability, I've been wearing these almost 24/7 as I go about my days,and they hold up just fine.
I begin work this week on the flap holster I was originally intending to make, before side-tracking myself and making these..I'll document that build as well.

After that, I intend to build up a shoulder-rig- hopefully in the next couple of weeks (I've got 2 more knives ,and sheaths for them ,to build this week as well, so the low-priority shoulder rig will have to wait)

j4l

Began work today on the flap holster for my .45
Here's the step-by-step (more or less) that I have so far.

fh0001.jpg

punching the stitch-holes ,like i mentioned above- no machine needed, though one would make things faster and neater, I suppose...

fh0002.jpg

This one will have a belt clip, rather than the belt -loop attachment method of the earlier holsters.

fh0003.jpg

fh0004.jpg

fh0005.jpg

fh0006.jpg

Now, Im off to dye the leather, then apply the sealants- hopefully get around to the stitching together later tonite or tommorow.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The flap holster looks pretty cool so far. What are you planning on using to keep the flap closed?

Last edited:

j4l

Ty, it's coming along nicely now. -I intend to use a snap to secure the flap. Idiot I am, I start making it, and realize Im out of snap parts. So, will need to run to store in a day or so and get more in order to finish this...
Otherwise, is now completed-

Dyed it this evening-

fh0007.jpg

Then did my stretching/distressing routine on the leather
fh0008.jpg

fh0009.jpg

fh0010.jpg

fh0011.jpg

fh0012.jpg

fh0014.jpg

j4l

The Triumvirate -matching Holster, mag pouch, knife and sheath

fh0015.jpg

And when I can get time to sit down and finish it off- and dye it in the matching brown like these above, my next belt on which to put all this lol

fh0016.jpg

j4l

Nah havent started carvings yet. Got it at the outlet that I get the rest of my leathers and hides from. Just got to cut it to shape, punch the holes, add the buckle to it, and then dye it.

j4l

Started work on my brown gunbelt, but running low on dye, so will wait to finish it when I get more.

b0001.jpg

b0002.jpg

Did a test of the dye on a scrap piece of it from when I cut it down to my length

b0003.jpg

Still drying, but looks like it will turn out nice..

b0004.jpg

j4l

hmm.. Im thinking the next knife project is going to be a bit of a tough one for engineering the sheath to carry it..

bs001.jpg

bssiz01.jpg