Thread: Gun control bill in Gov. Brown's hands - LA Times

Gun control bill in Gov. Brown's hands - LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6149742.story

A jewel from the article...
    "People in other states look to see what California does,'' Brian Malte, director for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said. If Brown signs the bill, "other states will follow suit.''
    Oh- so you really believe that more than 40 other states will follow California in prohibiting exposed arms, in direct opposition to the national trend of loosening gun restrictions following Heller and McDonald... Really?

If AB144 is signed into law, California will remain a minority; an island of 2nd amendment restricting tyranny.

Another juicy tidbit;
    Asked last year about a bill similar to Portantino's, Brown told the Contra Costa Times, a Bay Area newspaper, "I want to know how many abuses there have been" that justify the bill. He added, "I always look with some skepticism on changing the way things have been done."
    If Brown is going to gauge his response on how many abuses there have been by open carriers over the past decade, he will likely come up with two, possibly three that resulted in an arrest related to a violation of 626.9- Will he use this as a justification to sign AB144 when there is already a law on the books to address firearms in proximity of schools?
    Last edited by ConditionThree; 09-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

I would suggest that Gov Brown should base his VETO of this bill upon the abuses OF OCers.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Like I have said before, I believe he will VETO AB144.
    The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it. -Albert Einstein
    Liberty that was diminished in increments has never been restored by the same. -Lawful Aim
    One who compromises in steps toward freedom will always be compromising. -Lawful Aim
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Can we get Alan Gura to call him and explain the 2nd amendment?
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

If your governor does veto AB144, are there enough votes in the legislature for a veto override?

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    If your governor does veto AB144, are there enough votes in the legislature for a veto override?
    In order to override Governor Brown's veto, the bill would have to be passed with a 2/3rds vote from each house. The state Assembly passed AB144 on concurrence 48/30 and the Senate passed it 21/18. To pass with 2/3rds the Assembly would need 52 aye votes and the Senate would need 26 aye votes.

I doubt that if Brown vetoed the bill there would be sufficient support in both houses to ensure passage.

The Senate consists of 25 Dems and 15 Repubs- in addition to getting the three Dem pro-gun votes to flip, they would need two additional Republicans to defect.

The Assembly consists of 50 Dems, 1 Independent, and 27 Repubs- Again a similar flip would be necessary, making necessary for 2 Dems and 2 conservatives to defect.

This is why it is essential to write the governor now to urge a veto-
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Glad to hear that a veto override would probably be unsuccessful.

While I did email your governor to encourage a veto, I'm not sure an out of state resident will carry much wieght.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk