• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Keeping With Their Word

How should I have handled it?

• After telling him you didn't want to talk, you should have had your wife drive away.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Jesus man! Just sit there and shut up.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Talk to him. You know he's going to ask for your information and stuff. Just go along with it.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Get out of the car and walk away. Just keep walking not saying a word to anyone.

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I'd also press the issue about them taking your wife's information as well. While we have to show proper documentation while driving this is only true if a traffic infraction has been witnessed by the leo. What was the infraction? Sitting behind the wheel? This was clearly an illegal detainment. Do a foia request immediately and sue the pants off of the "officers.

Correct, even SCOTUS has ruled that you can't check for a DL without RAS.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I think you handled the situation well. You'r wife trying to coax you to step out of the car was not helping your case. Since the caller clearly called about you alone, you need to be the one doing the talking. I realize she may make that easier said than done. Bravo.

Fallschirjmäger

To avoid this in the future:

Officer: Mind stepping out and talking to me for a bit?
You: Am I being detained?

In Tennessee, it is illegal to carry a firearm PERIOD. Having a permit is a "defense" to this crime. And there's this:

39-17-1351 (n) (1). Handgun carry permits. "The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer."

Pardon me for asking, but exactly what do the laws of Tennessee have to do with a citizen of Kentucky, being in Kentucky, interacting with a Kentucky police officer, and being subject to the laws of ..... Kentucky?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I think ya done good. (May have to work on the wife supporting her Husband instead of her Servants, though.)

Officer: All I want to do is just talk to you. You're not in any kind of trouble.
Thank you for admitting that you have no reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, Officer. And since you have no suspicion then you have no authority to stop me. I'm going to need you to call your Supervisor and have him respond.

Officer: In the state of Kentucky when a cop gets out to you and they have to ask you your name and stuff and you deny them... I can actually arrest you for that, but I'm not going to do that.
Oh, but I insist that you follow the law, Officer. I need you to call your Supervisor and he and I need to have a chat about you refusing to do your job.

Me: Are you detaining me?
Officer: I am going to detain you right now if you don't cooperate.
Me: That's not what I asked. Are you detaining me RIGHT now?
Officer: I'm trying to do it the easy way.

And RIGHT THERE, Officer Friendly has admitted that he's either grossly incompetent or trying to weasel his way into getting you to have a voluntary encounter when he knows he doesn't have authority for a Tier-2 or Tier-3 encounter.

When our "public servants" try to muscle the citizen around wrongly, they need to be corrected. You don't let your kids get away with being mouthy and telling You what to do, do you?

Oh, and now that you have their names, PLEASE take the time to actually go down to the police station and ask politely to speak with their supervisor, hopefully with their Captain. You may find that supervisors take a certain interest in what their officers do that cause complaints from law-abiding citizens. (I stopped at my local Sheriff's Office to speak about a problem I had with a Deputy and instead of a 15-30 minute talk with a Sergeant or Leiutenant, it wound up as almost an hour of very pleasant conversation with a Captain who was rather annoyed at one of his officers.)

What's the worst that can happen? Ya not gonna get arrested nor nuthin'.

Last edited:

CharleyCherokee

You are correct on all of the above. If I was driving it would have been a different situation. If you're curious to hear the actual audio I'd be glad to send it to you. It wouldn't have mattered what I said to her. My wife is VERY timid. So she would have caved no matter what. There was nothing reasonable about it. The car was started. We were still parked. They were just trying to save face. Now that I'm thinking about it... I even handed them her stuff through my window. So yeah..... They just did it to save face.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Have you attempted to pursue any actions on this matter? The officials in your city of residence really disturb me, i can only imagine how you feel. I dont see why they have such an insidious agenda towards firearms and folks that carry them, but they need to be shown they cant trample our rights, and i believe you have done an excellent job in trying to inform them of this....