• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc at route 66

Gundude

its a specail event where there are alot of cars vendors outdoor activites. in located in downtown san bernadino near the court house and federl buildings

As long as you aren't within 1000 ft of a K-12 school (pc 626.9), you should be good to go. Also, stay out of the gov buildings.
You should expect contact by Law enforcement. They are authorized to inspect your weapon to check if it's unloaded.
Carry a recorder or have a friendly witness with a vid cam and leave your ID somewhere else. You are not required to answer any questions or show an ID, unless you are under arrest.

Last edited:

Firemark

The simple answer, it appears not to be illegal.
So what about the difficult answer? Here starts the discussion. feel free not to read on if you dont want an opinion.:)

In all likelyhood this event will have planned for security most likely coinciding with Law Enforcement. Open Carrying at this event will more than likely draw police and security attention. So you have to be ready for that, and the likelyhood that irregardless of the law and work of Open carry, you may get treated illegaly and poorly be LE. False arrest, trumped up charge, etc. Or they might have been trained and know about OC, and just E check you, scowl and let you go.
Have you OC'd before? Have you OC'd in this area before the event?
Do any of the local LE officers know about OC in your area? Have you contacted any senior LE officials to chat about OC? Have you applied and been turned down for a ccw? Do you carry that denial with you, along with pertinent court cases and docs regarding the applicable penal codes? Will you have civilians accompanying you with video backup? Will you have multiple recording devices on you? Will you be carrying sterile?

All of these things are going to affect what happens. Do you want to cause a media stir and get publicity? Cameras and news may be there as well. Are you prepared for dealing with them? Do you have prepared talking points for media cameras, and that they may slant your interview negatively?

I looked at the map and did just a quick cursory check the area does not appear to be in a GFSZ, but that doesnt mean it is, there may be a private or moentessori school I missed, so you might want to do some serious research on where all the schools are and if the area is safe to carry in.

With AB144 still on the Governors Desk many believe any OC if done at all should be very low key until we know where we stand. For this short time period while we wait, any negative press that gets to moonbeams desk might affect a decision. OC'ing at a large public event has potential to cause problems for you personally and the OC movement as a whole. These problems can mostly fall in the bad category unless you have made preparations and smart planning like I listed above. With all that being said, if you want any more info on the above questions let me know I have dealt with all those already.

If you go, good luck, be safe, be smart, come back and tell us how it went.

p.s. (I suggest if you get video of LE interaction or E check, DONT put it on youtube or the net unless it is an amazing positive supportive LE encounter. Bad or neutral encounters dont help us, they can just be used against us).
FWIW IMHO.

MadMadi

Open Carry at Route 66 Rendevous

Hi,

I was actually there with a group of about 10-15 OC'rs all day Saturday and the police were very cool, not one E check initiated by them. Had several people approach and ask for information on OC and it was a great event! (with some very cool cars ;0)

We found out there is actaully a school in the mall that the police educated us on, but they said that it as OK for that day because there was really no way for us to know without walking the mall and seeing it.

Firemark

Hi,

I was actually there with a group of about 10-15 OC'rs all day Saturday and the police were very cool, not one E check initiated by them. Had several people approach and ask for information on OC and it was a great event! (with some very cool cars ;0)

We found out there is actaully a school in the mall that the police educated us on, but they said that it as OK for that day because there was really no way for us to know without walking the mall and seeing it.

You are extremely lucky they didnt want to pursue GFSZ violation. make sure you educate everyone about it and steer clear in the future. Its great that the event went well, but illustrates the point, how easily one can get into trouble by traversing a GFSZ and not know it... For those that dont know, this happend to another Open carrier and the LE and DA went ahead and charged and convicted him of the crime using a sympathetic anti gun judge. He and LE had no knowledge of the school, it was discovered days later by LE and they issued a warrant for arrest because the OC'r gave his ID and they just tracked him down, another reason why its important to carry sterile and not give your name. Just FYI.

MadMadi

Route 66

Wow, I am surprised he could not argue malicious prosecution on that one and at least get the charge dropped. Thats ridiculous.

SBPD officers were actually very friendly and had plenty of serious issues to worry about other then a bunch of law abiding citizens. ;0)