• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Weapons policy and a 7yo

mahkagari

We went to AMC at the Orchards on 136th and I-25 to see Lion King 3D this AM. The kids were excited and I was playing "What movie, I'm just here for gummi bears" with them. We're laughing and playing and the oldest spots a "No Weapons" sign on the door with a circle-slash on a pistol.

She says, "No guns. Daddy, do you have your gun? The sign says no." I said in a low voice, "Maybe I put it in the car, don't worry about it." She continued, "Are you sure?" I gave her a code word and told her to drop it.

When we got into the theater I told her that whether I was carrying or not, people don't like to hear about it. They're good about gun safety, but I need to work on tact with them (like most kids). Sometime I'll have to post the story about the 4yo going up to a family who were playing with squirt guns saying, "You don't point guns at people, that's the number one rule!"

Last edited:

Beau

Yeah kids don't have much tact. My kids don't really ask about my gun because I'm usually OC. My daughter is starting to ask why I need a gun all the time. I think her new teacher might be a bit of an anti.

mahkagari

Mine have only asked, "Why do you have your gun?" a couple of times, but it's been part of the endless stream of questions normal for their age. They're aware I am pretty much always carrying, hence the 7yo's conclusion.

Has yours said anything to lead you to draw that conclusion? I came home from work one day to my oldest talking about elephant poaching and needing to explain to her the difference between culling, poaching, and hunting. I went to speak with her teacher about the endangered species unit they were doing and we saw eye to eye.

rscottie

Kids do have a way with words.

My daughter "outed" me when she was younger.

One time in WalMart when she was about waist high, she was getting tired and went to lean on me, hitting her head on my concealed firearm. Right in line she said, "Owe, I hit my head on your gun Daddy." There were a few looks.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Last summer my son rarely mentioned it. This summer he couldn't stop talking about it. When I told him to stop it, and why (discretion), he said, "Ok, Dad. I'll just call it your Blackberry. Are you bringing your Blackberry when we go to the movies this afternoon?"

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
AMC has been anti for a long time, although most of the time I don't see the signs posted. ;-)
I'm lucky that my kids are older,(19 and 23) and if they see me wearing an untucked Hawaiian shirt or a flannel, they know I am carrying.

since9

Campaign Veteran
...if they see me wearing an untucked Hawaiian shirt or a flannel, they know I am carrying.

Yeah, but if they see you wearing a sarong, then what? You're toast, right?

I used to live overseas, and yes, one can both OC and CC while wearing nothing but a sarong.

Maybe I ought to teach that as a class one of these days...

Badger Johnson

When I carry with my sarong, I use a fanny pack. But it has to zip the right direction. What you might mean is the pareo not the sarong. The sarong is actually a tubular sash.

[video=youtube;9njURVBRaN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9njURVBRaN4&feature=related[/video]

In FMA we use the short sarong or wrap around to guard against groin kicks (just stretch your knees and an upkick is blocked by the taut fabric.) It's more traditional than actual, though if you're wearing a towel it works also if you're thin waisted and the towel wraps around half again.

:p

PS - on the blackberry - awesome. It's black and after use there might be a (BG) bury involved.

Last edited: