• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Front Sight holster requirements - Which holster would you recommend?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't want to derail this thread, but while we're talking about the serpa: has anyone seen the videos of guns becoming lodged in their serpa holster? That is enough reason for me not to carry in it.

If you want an awesome retention holster for OWB I can only reccomend the safariland ALS. The thumb release is hit has you get a positive grip on the gun. Feels more natural than the SERPA if you ask me. (and i use to think the natural draw of the serpa was impossible to beat)

cbpeck

There's always Thunder Ranch.

I'm currently planning a trip down to Front Sight... $$$ being equal, I'd probably go to Gunsite or Thunder Ranch instead, but the $$$ is NOT equal.

Here's my list of planned expenses for the trip:

Airline: $170
Course certificate & background check: $120
Ammunition: $225
Hotel on Vegas Strip: $75 ($300 for 5 nights divided 4 ways)
Food: $200
Gas for carpool: $20
Discretionary: $150

Total: $810 + $150 Discretionary

That's a lot cheaper than any of the other big training facilities in the country. And if the training really sucks - which it won't - I'll spend the time in Vegas instead.

To keep it [barely] in line with the OP... I don't carry a SERPA, so I don't foresee them having a problem with my holster(s).

Last edited:

MiaStar

Call me a frugalista, but my holsters meet all those requirements listed by OP:

It is a Crosman Pistol Holster made of strong, stiff material that takes a long time to wear in. It fully secures and covers the pistol with a strap attached to a plastic locking clip. The pistol is covered from muzzle to grip, even for full-size pistols like the 1911 (5" barrel).

The whole retention strap can also be detached quickly by way of a snap button in case of a defensive situation. This is like a level 3 retention holster. It does not have a clip for the belt...it only has a double strap (velcro where you place over the belt and secure, and a 2nd velcro strap to secure the first). It is very comfy to wear in my opinion, because those steel belt clips dig into my hip sometimes.

No one is going to be able to grab the pistol out of it while it's on your hip unless you sit there and let them work at it. Retails for $7.97 at Walmart. Usually is displayed right under the Blackhawk holsters in the plastic pack. I've had them for several months and I'm highly satisfied. Inside is soft lining that doesn't scratch or damage the slide/sights.

P.S. My .38 and .45 both have decockers and manual safeties. This holster works perfect for both. The .38 has a metal piece that protrudes when there is a round in the chamber, but the .45 you must visually check, not just tactile inspection like the .38. I always know I keep a round in the chamber of both, but it is second-nature for me to check anyhow.

All I do is OC. I will only CC when I get the darned permit and that will be 1 gun CC on the ankle under pants in winter or skirt/dress in summer, the main 1 will be OC on the hip. I prefer OC because it is difficult for me to conceal a pistol without using a handbag.

Last edited: