• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Front Sight holster requirements - Which holster would you recommend?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
All of the suggested holster brands are reputable and typically of good quality. I have a Bladetech for my FNP-40 and it is a great holster. Let us know what you get and how the training goes.

jeeper1

It's a good thing I have neither the money nor the desire to go there since they don't like my holster or style of carry.

Phoenix David

Well my first pistol class at Front Sight I used a Galco OWB belt holster but found the thumb break straps getting in the way and being annoying, since then I have only used Blade Tech. I have found them smoother on the draw

My two cents: for open carry will always use a holster that has retention, for concealed I don't use any retention.

jeeper1

What and how do you carry?

XD40 cross draw in a Serpa holster. Physical limitations prevent me from strong side carry.

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I use a Bianchi OWB 3 slot holster for my GP100. I like it because I can and do use it for both concealed and/or open carry.

I used to like crossdraw but I am just so trained with strongside carry that I just have accepted it.

silver

It's a good thing I have neither the money nor the desire to go there since they don't like my holster or style of carry.

+1000

hard to get professional training using what you carry if your instructor doesn't let you.
I happen to find my serpa level 2 one of the best OC holsters possible, makes gun grabs buy the crazies harder but provides ergonomic and intuitive deactivation of the the retention mechanism

CO-Joe

I wouldn't go there simply because the head honcho is kind of nuts. I'm sure the instruction (and instructors) is good, as I've heard it to be, but unless the owner can hit the bull at 30 yards from the backward bow posture, I'm not sure why he thinks it's so important that everyone know he's a (former) doctor (of chiropractic). His salesmanship has always been kind of...cultish.

DigsSigs

My wife and I use Serpa Holsters and love them. However, we did see an ex military (Iraq) guy shoot himself in the leg using a Serpa at Frontsight.
I would NOT recommend using a Serpa Holster with a single action 1911 with the safety off, just in case your finger becomes misaligned and you pull the gun from it's holster by the trigger. :uhoh:

My wife loved Front Sight and completed the course with high scores. I dropped out because I could NOT handle being around so many armed newbies. Especially the ones that I saw fidgeting with their guns while behind those that were on the firing line. I also disagreed with the instructors forcing us to 'cock' our guns to check our chambers, even after we explained that our guns had a 1.7 lb trigger with the hammer cocked and a simple touch would cause a discharge. Their attitude of "I'm a super gun guy and you are a 'stupid and know nothing' guy, was hard to take. I was trained by my brother, over the years (ex LEO), and they (front sight instructors) actually told us that "Military and LEOs don't know squat" That is a quote!!!

cbpeck

My wife and I use Serpa Holsters and love them. However, we did see an ex military (Iraq) guy shoot himself in the leg using a Serpa at Frontsight.
I would NOT recommend using a Serpa Holster with a single action 1911 with the safety off, just in case your finger becomes misaligned and you pull the gun from it's holster by the trigger. :uhoh:

My wife loved Front Sight and completed the course with high scores. I dropped out because I could NOT handle being around so many armed newbies. Especially the ones that I saw fidgeting with their guns while behind those that were on the firing line. I also disagreed with the instructors forcing us to 'cock' our guns to check our chambers, even after we explained that our guns had a 1.7 lb trigger with the hammer cocked and a simple touch would cause a discharge. Their attitude of "I'm a super gun guy and you are a 'stupid and know nothing' guy, was hard to take. I was trained by my brother, over the years (ex LEO), and they (front sight instructors) actually told us that "Military and LEOs don't know squat" That is a quote!!!

I don't have a dog in this fight, but...

Front Sight teaches their students how to use a firearm in self defense. It is generally accepted that carrying a gun with a 1.7 lb trigger for self defense significantly increases the risk of a ND, so I fail to understand why someone would be using such a gun in a self defense course.

If they were wanting you to open your chamber all the way, thereby cocking the gun, this shouldn't be an issue. If the gun is truly unloaded then having the hammer fall won't cause a discharge. If I was teaching a course and had an "all clear" moment I'd want chambers locked back too.

Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post. I wasn't exactly clear on what you were trying to describe.

Phoenix David

One of the things they teach is to do a chamber check, to make sure that in fact you have a round chambered.

Now with striker fired pistols it's not that hard to inch back the slide to visually verify that there is a round in the chamber.

With DA/SA pistols it's considerably more difficult to inch the slide back enough to inspect and it seems that it is very comment when trying to do it that you push the slide to far out of battery and issues arise. So they teach that one thing you can do is cock the hammer to release that pressure on the slide, then depending on the gun you de-cock it however the gun was designed to do that,

Now unless the gun malfunctions there shouldn't be an issue even with with a ridiculous trigger pull of 1.7 pounds because your finger should not be on the trigger.

Tawnos

I was there in February for the 4 day defensive handgun class. Scored top of the class, using a serpa. That rule must be new, probably to sell more stuff from their overpriced pro shop. The fact is, you should practice with what you carry, and if their process doesn't allow them to go over safe draw from different holster types, it's really not the fault of the participant.

Their instructors were pretty good, but I don't think I'd return. Too much cult-like activity.

Aknazer

If I had a gun that had a very low trigger pull when cocked I wouldn't want to needlessly cock it either. Especially if I had some other way to check if it had a round chambered like how most guns now have that metal piece that sticks up when a round is in the chamber.

As for holsters. I have a Serpa Blackhawk for my XDM40 and I love using it when I get the chance (OC is illegal here, so I only get to use it at gunshows and around the house). When I'm out and about I CC in a Blackhawk nylon holster (I have a good kydex holster with a leather backing, but it doesn't work for my style of carry which is left side appendix-style carry while the "cheap" nylon holster is very comfortable and allows me to position the gun where I want it. Only complaint would be the plaster belt clip instead of a metal one like is mentioned in the booklet that came with it). If I were looking to get training and a place said I couldn't use my holster for training then I would be looking to go somewhere else as one should train with the gear that they intend to use.