• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Langlade County possible restictions

kemo

It was put in the Antigo Daily Journal that the county board is planning on banning handguns on county owned buildings. They are also planning to ban in any county parks. The meeting will be on Tuesday at 9am in the public safety building lower level. I plan on being there and was checking to see if anyone else will be there.

LaBomba

It was put in the Antigo Daily Journal that the county board is planning on banning handguns on county owned buildings. They are also planning to ban in any county parks. The meeting will be on Tuesday at 9am in the public safety building lower level. I plan on being there and was checking to see if anyone else will be there.

Here is the article. They can't ban firearms from the grounds, though. The trespassing law changes specifically state that units of government can't ban firearms on their grounds or land. They can only enact a ban for their buildings.

http://www.antigodailyjournal.com/full.php?id=13297

County committee eyes gun rules, proposes restrictions

Sept. 7, 2011

The Langlade County Board’s Public Property Committee held a public hearing Tuesday on the newly enacted concealed-carry weapons legislation, and adopted an ordinance that will be considered at a Sept. 20 board session.

The draft ordinance calls for the board to adopt a rule that would ban all weapons carried by individuals on buildings or grounds that are owned, occupied or controlled by Langlade County providing that the properties be posted on the action.

Under the agreement, the committee is authorized to designate those county areas that are subject to the regulation, as is required by state law.

The action covers firearms, including handguns, tasers or other electronic weapons, knives other than switchblades and billy clubs.

The regulation would not apply to any weapon stored in a vehicle driven or parked in any part of the buildings or grounds used for those purposes on county property.

The public hearing on the ordinance, held before the committee’s Tuesday evening meeting, drew little interest.

Earlier this year the Wisconsin legislature approved the concealed-carry law for the state. Illinois is the only state of the 50 without a similar law.

kemo

That was put in Sept. 17 paper. I live in antigo and they have a tendancy to do the wrong thing.

duckdog

I believe that they can't post county land, but they'll probably get on the bandwagon and try. I'll try to see if Ican find a contact for one of them.

protias

I believe that they can't post county land, but they'll probably get on the bandwagon and try. I'll try to see if Ican find a contact for one of them.

They can post buildings, but they can't prohibit on the land.

duckdog

I did receive a reply from the Langlade County corporate counsel and this is it:

Dear ## ######,

I recently attended a seminar sponsored by the County's insurer (Wisconsin
County Mutual Insurance Company), at which the new conceal carry weapons
law was discussed. According to the presenters (Attorney Frank Gumina and
Attorney Andy Phillips), the County has the legal authority to post
buildings and grounds.

The Ordinance adopted by the County Board today merely delegates the
authority to the Public Property Committee to post buildings and grounds.
No decision has been made at this time regarding whether any specific
buildings or grounds will be posted. I have previously advised the
Committee that there are separate posting requirements for buildings and
land. Moreover, I have advised the County Board regarding the immunity
granted to landowners who do not post. As with any new law, I anticipate
that different aspects of this law will be subject to interpretation by the
courts and the Wisconsin Attorney General.

If you are opposed to having any specific buildings and/or grounds posted,
then please let me know and I will forward your message to the Committee
for their consideration.

Sincerely,

Robin J. Stowe
Corporation Counsel
Assistant Administrative Coordinator
Langlade County

That is probably where the municipalites are getting this stuff. Most likely from the insurance companies, who think they have the most to lose from a lawsuit. It's a shame that it will take a lawsuit somewhere to make them do what the law intended in the first place.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

Here is the article. They can't ban firearms from the grounds, though. The trespassing law changes specifically state that units of government can't ban firearms on their grounds or land. They can only enact a ban for their buildings....
They clearly may not ban permitees but it is not so clear for Open Carry without a permit. Here is the issue.... 943.13(1m)(b) may be able to stand on its own. City land is "land of another". The new language only specifically prohibits someone from preventing a licensee. I have been in contact with 2 different lawyers and neither have been able to come up with a solid reason that a municipality may not charge you with trespassing under 943.13(1m)(b) if they post any you carry anyway.

943.13 (1m) (b) Enters or remains on any land of
another after having been notified by the owner or occupant
not to enter or remain on the premises. This paragraph
does not apply to a licensee or out−of−state
licensee if the owner’s or occupant’s intent is to prevent
the licensee or out−of−state licensee from carrying a firearm
on the owner’s or occupant’s land.