• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ODU Hopes to Copy the Wildly Successful Va Tech Model

ocholsteroc

Concealed carry holders, you know they arn't a felon, and not going to steel something. Can you say that about other students?

Ban guns is dumb, just making it a gun free zone for criminals to commit crimes without fear they will be hurt.

Give no money !

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Why am I not surprised by ODU's stance?

Before the slaughter, Va Tech tightened their gun ban and some flack said: "Now the people on this campus can FEEL safer...." (my emphasis).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Why am I not surprised by ODU's stance?

Before the slaughter, Va Tech tightened their gun ban and some flack said: "Now the people on this campus can FEEL safer...." (my emphasis).
yes 40
no 59

Philip is gonna be busy!:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Concealed carry holders, you know they arn't a felon, and not going to steel something. Can you say that about other students?

Ban guns is dumb, just making it a gun free zone for criminals to commit crimes without fear they will be hurt.

Give no money !

Very risky move ocholsteroc. If they don't write the bill correctly it will split the gun lobby.
If CHP's are to be an issue it has to be only for Students and staff. The general public still has to have the right to OC...otherwise the bill probably won't pass.

Repeater

Regualtion would establish the "Cop Loophole"

Well, the useful idiots are doing gun owners a favor:
The ODU administration has drafted a regulation for consideration by the university’s governing Board of Visitors at its December meeting that would explicitly ban all guns, except those carried by police officers, from campus buildings and sports events.

They cannot plausibly state that they are creating a gun-free campus by banning all guns, then turn around and exempt "police officers" -- whether on-duty or off-duty, or limited to campus cops.

Remember, cops are not soldiers, they are "civilians" like the rest of us. So the regulation would in fact discriminate against everyone except a select breed of state actors, what David Codrea labels The Only Ones.

Thus, ODU would, by regulation, create a "Cop Loophole" and that lacks a rational basis. Perhaps there would be grounds for an Equal Protection lawsuit.

Repeater

Current Policy discriminates against OC

The Minutes from the Board's meeting in July, thus:
At the conclusion of his report, President Broderick asked University Counsel to brief the Committee on a recent Attorney General’s opinion related to concealed weapon permit holders. Jay Wright explained that the University’s current policy, which prohibits weapons on campus except for those held by police officers and certain other individuals who have gone through an application process, remains in effect for 95% or more of the people involved. However, the Attorney General’s opinion states that an institution’s weapons policy does not apply to concealed weapon permit holders who are visitors on campus, unless it becomes a regulation through the appropriate process. Therefore, the University will be redrafting the current policy such that it will not apply to concealed weapons permit holders who are visitors on campus, and a regulation will be drafted that will cover the concealed weapons permit holders who are visitors to campus.

In response to a question, Mr. Wright noted that the current policy applies to any group that has a contract with the University. These groups include students (who have a quasi-contract with the University), faculty and staff, and individuals who buy tickets to athletic and other events, whether or not they have a concealed weapons permit. The policy also applies to individuals who open-carry. The only group to which it does not apply is concealed permit holders who are visitors.

President Broderick asked if the current policy allows for individuals to contact him for permission to carry a weapon. Mr. Wright said that the policy does have a provision for exceptions to be made by the President or Chief of Police. The President suggested that the revised policy state that all requests for exceptions be made directly to the Chief of Police.

President Hoplophobe can be contacted at president@odu.edu and looks forward to hearing from you!

pic-jbroderick.jpg

[size=+2]I hate self-defense![/size]

ocholsteroc

The Minutes from the Board's meeting in July, thus:

President Hoplophobe can be contacted at president@odu.edu and looks forward to hearing from you!

pic-jbroderick.jpg

[size=+2]I hate self-defense![/size]

When will these people wake up? how many crimes are commited by CHP holders? and how many non CHP holders/felons are doing these crimes? criminals still carry illegal. You are just saying NO to the CHP holders not the criminals.

DJEEPER

The ODU president should not see another term. This jackwagon just does NOT get it!!!

I am going to sleep on this before I respond. I am far too heated right now...

TFred

Insanity

One can't help but to think of this fairly well-known quote, which is often attributed to Einstein, although there appears to be no proof of it's actual origin:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

Classic, and true, every new "Gun Free Zone" is nothing more than another potential killing field.

TFred

supranite90

My brother did comment http://www.wvec.com/news/Old-Dominion-moves-to-tighten-gun-ban-130105263.html but I sorta wish that he would have mentioned that I carry regularly everywhere, everyday regardless unless I am in class :banghead: . I plan on carrying at ODU regardless due to the area whenever I visit him though. No administrator/target will prevent me from defending myself and I already told my brother that it is better to be ready than need it and not have it... just my $.02

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
my brother did comment http://www.wvec.com/news/old-dominion-moves-to-tighten-gun-ban-130105263.html but i sorta wish that he would have mentioned that i carry regularly everywhere, everyday regardless unless i am in class :banghead: . I plan on carrying at odu regardless due to the area whenever i visit him though. No administrator/target will prevent me from defending myself and i already told my brother that it is better to be ready than need it and not have it... Just my $.02
hua!!!!!!!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Ok, email to Mr. Pres. sent - here's my "Please Take Notice..."

I have two reasons for sending the specific text that I did: first, because I hope to influence the course of rulemaking, and secondly, to place the University on notice of a legal issue. If anyone is injured there as the result of violent crime, the University is already on notice that the failure to protect creates liability. The University can't say that it didn't know, that it was due to an intervening or supervening cause, or that the failure to protect was unintentional. Actual knowledge = liability. Feel free to send your own notices, copy my text if you like.

Please take notice, that any regulation that has the effect of eliminating the right and power of individuals on campus to defend themselves against violent threats implies the assumption of a positive duty to protect. Without special regulation, the law of Virginia applies to everyone, employees, students, and visitors. And ordinarily, the University has no duty to protect anyone, even as "invitees", since it is not an insurer of personal safety.

However, actively eliminating a person's ability to defend himself from violent crime places him at the mercy of predatory criminals, and necessitates the implication of the assumption of a duty to be on guard all the time, for each individual, in order to guarantee that no one on campus is subjected to violence.

Regardless of whether or not the school will be safer or less safe if persons lawfully entitled to do so are in possession of defensive weapons, one thing is sure: the University will have assumed liability for a guarantee of safety for each and every person on campus, regardless of status.