Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110

Thread: The Wis-dumb of Pogo

  1. #1
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217

    The Wis-dumb of Pogo

    Remember that comic strip by Walt Kelly?



    How true this is. I'm now wondering if most of the negative aspects of human behavior are simply that we do not believe we deserve to be happy.

    Thus we 'self-sabotage'. Look at your behaviors, how many of them are 'counter-productive'. Bad habits. Bad actions in which you feel guilty while doing them (yelling at your loving spouse).

    Look at some of the blood-lust we see here from time to time (everyone feels it, even the more laid-back posters). I think it's a reaction to trying to insure one's happiness, paradoxically, at the point of a gun. (it's complicated).

    We're angry and we want to do things which will ultimately not solve anything and will even get us -into- more trouble. We protest 'it's our right, dammit, to be peaceful!'. What I'm going to do is examine my beliefs and actions and see if I can't 'fix' this propensity. If you see some 'light' here, then you're welcome to ponder it with me.

    So, anyway, just a random thought on a cloudy Monday morning...
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 09-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran ComradeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maple Hill, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    430
    "pursuit of happiness" because it's a never ending journey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Remember that comic strip by Walt Kelly?



    How true this is. I'm now wondering if most of the negative aspects of human behavior are simply that we do not believe we deserve to be happy.

    Thus we 'self-sabotage'. Look at your behaviors, how many of them are 'counter-productive'. Bad habits. Bad actions in which you feel guilty while doing them (yelling at your loving spouse).

    Look at some of the blood-lust we see here from time to time (everyone feels it, even the more laid-back posters). I think it's a reaction to trying to insure one's happiness, paradoxically, at the point of a gun. (it's complicated).

    We're angry and we want to do things which will ultimately not solve anything and will even get us -into- more trouble. We protest 'it's our right, dammit, to be peaceful!'. What I'm going to do is examine my beliefs and actions and see if I can't 'fix' this propensity. If you see some 'light' here, then you're welcome to ponder it with me.

    So, anyway, just a random thought on a cloudy Monday morning...
    This issue has been addressed and resolved 2000 years ago. Get a copy of the King James Bible and spend your cloudy Mondays reading.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    This issue has been addressed and resolved 2000 years ago. Get a copy of the King James Bible and spend your cloudy Mondays reading.
    Or any other fiction book...

    It is indeed the pursuit of happiness. Most people don't know when they are happy or what makes them happy. They try to make themselves happy by buying the newest things, using drugs, stealing, etc... Me? I am just happy to be alive.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-19-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Or any other fiction book...

    It is indeed the pursuit of happiness. Most people don't know when they are happy or what makes them happy. They try to make themselves happy by buying the newest things, using drugs, stealing, etc... Me? I am just happy to be alive.
    ...Implying the Bible to be fiction... lol!! Well... it is convenient to some to consider it such.

  6. #6
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Or any other fiction book...

    It is indeed the pursuit of happiness. Most people don't know when they are happy or what makes them happy. They try to make themselves happy by buying the newest things, using drugs, stealing, etc... Me? I am just happy to be alive.
    Interesting how many archaeological finds back up events of both the Old and New Testaments. Pretty good for a work of fiction, wouldn't you say?

    Had you ever been in the Sinai Peninsula or any of those locations mentioned in the Bible, you would have much stronger doubts about it being fiction. Trust me; I've been there and it is an experience.

    Bottom line is this: I would rather live my life believing in God, and patterning my life accordingly, and die only to find there is no God than to live my life not believing in God, die, and find out there is a God.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Or any other fiction book...

    It is indeed the pursuit of happiness. Most people don't know when they are happy or what makes them happy. They try to make themselves happy by buying the newest things, using drugs, stealing, etc... Me? I am just happy to be alive.
    Of all the responses (there's no 'right' or 'wrong' reply, here) this one resonates with me the most.

    By 'deserve to be happy' I don't me a human right or a constitutional right to prosperity, I mean walking around with a virtual cloud over your head thinking you are not 'good enough' to be happy, to deserve a good feeling and have good friendships. It's a sense of feeling negative about yourself. It's internal and not an external 'legislated' thing.

    Some talk about not playing 'negative tapes'. ("I'm a klutz, I'm clumsy, I've never been skilled, can't shoot straight"). These internal ruminations can be self-defeating. They make one a grouch, cause one to lash out. But if we look at our lives we should all be VERY happy to be alive.

    The question is 'how do you achieve this feeling?"

    Sometimes, I try to look around at those less fortunate and sometimes, I just try and surround myself with some good friends. I think 'positively', I repeat self-affirmations when riding my bike.

    But we really don't know what makes any individual capable of 'happiness'. Many rich and famous people are miserable.

    Look at www.DickProenneke.com. How was he able to be happy and not lonely. There's much to learn here.

    Thanks for the replies!

    $.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  8. #8
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    I think we define this as "riches" of a different sort. I'll be the first to tell you that I don't have a whole lot of money, so I'm not rich by that definition.

    I'll also tell you that I am one of the richest men I know. How can that be? Very simple: I've done just about everything in this life that I ever wanted to do. I had two successful careers. Even more important is the fact that I've been privileged to love and be loved by two wonderful women. I've managed to keep a roof over our heads, food on our table, and clothes on our backs. I've got two children and two stepchildren that I think the world of and who, I'm convinced, think the same of me. There's also the grandkids that think the sun rises because I tell it to!! I've got an old car that is holding together quite well (knock on wood) and gets me where I want to go.

    Most important, I've get pretty good health for someone my age who has lived the life I've lived (and smoked for as many years as I did). There's a lot of men who worked at what I worked at who are no longer here. Some of them died very young.

    Yep, I'm pretty darn happy. I've lived a good life and I feel that I'm still living a pretty good life.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    ^^That's great and is really a hallmark of a happy man. One who can appreciate what he has.

    The 'root cause' of unhappiness still eludes us. You've post 'what' you've done, but think about the work-a-holic. He has all you do and is still not happy.

    To me it's the 'how' of appreciation. The 'how' of not taking for granted. The 'how' of being able to truly look around you and be free from guilt, dread, the 'same-old-same-old'.

    To those who ARE happy, we scratch our heads and say 'how can you not be happy, given you have a good life, health, and enough to get by'.

    The how includes 'daily affirmations', 'doing due diligence', 'thinking of your partner (and kids) first'.

    The how includes truly finding love and that means not to 'settle' but to keep looking until you find it; find your soul-mate, perhaps.

    I'm with a great partner, but it's a daily struggle to keep it 'fresh', keep it from being 'rote', prove your love in your actions every day. To do this we talk about it. We openly have 'sessions' where we say 'I feel...'. I feel you took me for granted on Thursday, can you mirror me on that and help 'fix' it.

    So:
    1. Daily affirmations (silent positive thoughts, repeated like a mantra)
    2. Daily mirroring with your partner. "This is what I'm hearing you say..."
    3. Doing the 'right thing', even if it hurts a little (hurt egos must go away)
    4. Losing your 'ego'
    5. Being able to 'empty your cup' to taste my 'wine'.

    ...and so on.

    Why do I bother, why do I seek the 'root cause' of my happiness (or my distress)? Because my partner is worth it.

    This is the partner I carry with (here's how OCDO is pertinent), and whose life I would save, who I would take a bullet for. It makes it all very 'real' and cogent. They talk about 'working' on your relationship. I hope I've shown 'how' I do it. And...I know every day I must improve it a little. If you really love someone, believe me, it's not a chore, it's a pleasure.

    $0.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    The 'root cause' of unhappiness still eludes us. You've post 'what' you've done, but think about the work-a-holic. He has all you do and is still not happy.
    It does not elude "us". It may elude you, hence this thread...

    The Creator designed us as unique individuals, however, with many similarities. The search for the 'root cause' of happiness must begin with an attempt at understanding the Creator. It is inescapable...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,201
    Happiness is an internal attitude evinced in our everyday living. You cannot fill up an empty feeling inside with outside stuff; it has never worked and never will, not if true, genuine happiness is what you are after. Do I evince this attitude all the time? Certainly not, I'm as human as anyone else. But basically I consider myself to be a very happy person, that is my basic nature.

    I believe one of the characteristics of true happiness is an acceptance of our own lives the way they are: no whining and no complaining. That doesn't mean that we can't improve our own lives because we can, but in order to do that, we have to accept, even love, who we are and what we are. And self acceptance is one of the hardest things to do, at least for me.

    I don't believe that happiness is something you can pursue. the more you chase it, the further away it goes. A very wise person once said, " There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way." There are people living in this world with far less material possesions than most Americans, and yet they have been found to be some of the happiest people on the planet. Most Americans haven't seemed to get that yet.

    I also agree with georg jetson. I have a strong believe in God and the power of prayer. Do I get everything I ask God for? Of course not! But I am blessed with the things I need and some of the things I want. We all have far more blessings than we are consciously aware of. I am not a particularly religious person, but consider myself a spiritual person. I CHOOSE to believe in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ, and I have had clear evidence in my own life to support my belief. That said, I respect the choices of other people when it comes to religion and spritual beliefs.

    Just my thoughts on the subject. Happiness is one of those elusive things that we know more what it isn't than what it is, and it's not the same for everyone. I am convinced though that it has very little to do with "stuff". "Stuff " may make a person happy for a while, but it gradually fades. True happiness never does fade away, but you are not in a state of euphoria all the time either. I'm just happy to be part of life; the older I get, the more I realize how much I don't know and how little that matters.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead


    Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Interesting how many archaeological finds back up events of both the Old and New Testaments. Pretty good for a work of fiction, wouldn't you say?
    Except that there's no evidence of the Egyptians enslaving the Israelites, there's no evidence of a census being taken in the fashion claimed in the NT, there's no evidence of worldwide darkness, or a worldwide flood, or any number of other supposed historical truths.

    There's also the amusing take on it, P&T's BS
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  13. #13
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Except that there's no evidence of the Egyptians enslaving the Israelites, there's no evidence of a census being taken in the fashion claimed in the NT, there's no evidence of worldwide darkness, or a worldwide flood, or any number of other supposed historical truths.

    There's also the amusing take on it, P&T's BS
    1. Go back up and read the bottom line I put in the post you quoted.

    2. Actually there is some evidence of the Egyptians enslaving the Habirus, as they were known then. You do your own research.

    3. I will grant that there are some tales told in the Bible that are oral tradition and not historical fact. That said, there are many historically accurate accounts. Personally, I would give a pretty penny to know what was in the Great Library of Alexandria that caused the early Christian elders to instigate its burning.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    224
    The Bible, Similar to law, has to be interpreted. If you read it like a storybook it won't always make sense and you'll miss half the lessons within.

    Disclaimer: I am not pushing my religion on anyone, just offering guidance for those interested.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    1. Go back up and read the bottom line I put in the post you quoted.
    Pascal's wager is as dumb and boring now as it ever was. You make the assumption that Yahweh is the only possible god, yet there are thousands of other possible gods that have been believed in throughout human history. What makes you decide to believe in that one over Mithra or Thor or Zeus or to follow the Buddha or worship cows? What if the god isn't one of any that have been believed in, but does exist and punishes those who exhibited blind faith and rewards those who followed reason to the logical conclusion of the null hypothesis?

    The point is, Pascal's wager is worse than useless, and trying to state your beliefs are good or bad because of such a futile undertaking is silly. You are creating a false bisection of choices, when there are a myriad variety of choices and consequences possible.

    2. Actually there is some evidence of the Egyptians enslaving the Habirus, as they were known then. You do your own research.
    I have done my own research, it's why I made that statement. You are making the claim that it's true, so provide citations. I have not seen any evidence that the nation of Israel was enslaved by Egypt, that a single man helped overthrow that rule (and there's certainly no record of the various curses that are written about), and there's no evidence of things like the battle of Jericho, or the rest of the driving out of the Canaanites.

    What I'm saying isn't that the bible is devoid of historical truth, but that it is not a reliable source of history. This link goes over it in much more detail than I care to.

    3. I will grant that there are some tales told in the Bible that are oral tradition and not historical fact. That said, there are many historically accurate accounts. Personally, I would give a pretty penny to know what was in the Great Library of Alexandria that caused the early Christian elders to instigate its burning.
    How can you separate the myth from reality?
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    The Bible: Based on a true story. I think that describes it better. BTW, Twanos has "religion", "jesus", "god" and "bible" bookmarked for instant search results so that he will be attracted to any threads with those words in them. May I suggest that you use a code word when taking on religious subjects.....

    Anyway, all I need to feel content, and therefore be at least pretty happy, is to know that I can do what I want. In other words, freedom makes people happy. Liberty is what makes possible the "pursuit of happiness". Let's put it this way: If I know I could do something to better my situtation, I'm happy, even if I don't decide to follow through with it for some reason. Just the knowledge that I have the choice alone, and know I won't be thwarted by some bad actors or the government at every turn makes me happy. It may sound a little funny but the movie "The Matrix" makes good on this point. "The problem is choice". The machines couldn't keep people happy and connected to their tubes, even in a utopia.

    Just a few examples are, it might make you happy to:

    Get a dog: But you need to pay for a license and check the regulations in your area. Oh, and they aren't allowed in the park.

    Start a business from your home: But you'd better check the zoning laws and make sure you have all the legal permits, a tax number and an LLC to CYA. Then, there's the cost to rezone (if the board approves it) or pay for some sort of "cottage industry" permit that doesn't allow any retail sales.

    Start investing in the stock market: But you should know that if you buy and sell the same stock in a day you need to have $25,000 minimum in a margin account or the SEC will be suspending your account and/or knocking on your door.

    Buy some milk from the farmer next door.....but what about the taxes on it? Oh, and that's raw milk and the state and federal government say you can't drink that.

    Be responsible by putting in a new septic system: But permits and tests will cost you thousands, and you can't do it yourself even if it's inspected, it's got to be done by a state licensed contractor.

    Tinker with a car: But if it's sitting on your property it's an eyesore and you could get a fine. Don't mess with anything that could make it louder or quieter or change the emissions either or your in big trouble. Hey, does that have a salvaged title? Oh, no, doesn't matter that it just got wet, you'll need a full state inspection.

    Buy a golf cart for your property: But don't even think of crossing the road with that. It can't be registered as vehicle and it's not an ATV so you can get a "catch 22" ticket for either.

    Buy a few silver coins: But even though they are issued by the U.S. mint as legal tender you have to pay sales tax on those in your state. Oh, and if you make any "profit" (even though it's caused by inflation) on that, it's gotta be taxed. You aren't allowed to protect your money from the government's over-printing.

    Make a few home improvements: But you'd better get a building permit so they know you did thing safely and up to par and how else are they going to know how much to tax you next time your property taxes are due?

    Shoot an animal causing damage to property: But this one could get you into real trouble if you aren't the actual land owner and the animal is "protected" like a woodchuck in WI. Thankfully after hours of perusing regulations I found that I could, in fact; legally shoot a beaver that was damming up my creek.



    These are just a few things I've personally run into in the last few years. This is what makes me an angry discontent. Not other people, not my situation; the fact that I'm not free to run my life the way I see fit as long as I don't hurt anyone else.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 09-20-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    The Bible: Based on a true story. I think that describes it better. BTW, Twanos has "religion", "jesus", "god" and "bible" bookmarked for instant search results so that he will be attracted to any threads with those words in them. May I suggest that you use a code word when taking on religious subjects.....
    The Bible: Based on a true story (in the movie sense of the word "based", and the fox news/CNN (depending on your political leanings) sense of the word "true").

    I just read every thread in the social lounge, so... good luck with the codewords.

    Also, my nickname is spelled "Tawnos"
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'm very happy, the Rams lost last night. I'll be even happier if those darned 49ers win their next game and the rest of the NFC West loses theirs. I see a very happy next several months. Unless of course the 9ers get back to last years ways.
    You should post this in the Football thread in the Social Lounge...lol
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    The Bible: Based on a true story (in the movie sense of the word "based", and the fox news/CNN (depending on your political leanings) sense of the word "true").
    Some of the stories are true; most likely, or at least based on a story that might be based on a true story like Noah and the flood versus the Epic of Gilgamesh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    I just read every thread in the social lounge, so... good luck with the codewords.
    Foiled again.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Also, my nickname is spelled "Tawnos"
    Sorry, freudian slip. In all seriousness, mea culpa.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 09-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    ? What I'm saying isn't that the bible is devoid of historical truth, but that it is not a reliable source of history.

    How can you separate the myth from reality?
    It is unfortunate that this thread has gotten hijacked over an "is the Bible true" argument. When I initially mentioned it, I intended to give my .02 about a source of happiness. Happiness will depend on your belief system. One's belief system is the essence of who they are...

    No one can come to the table with undeniable proof when speaking of the "things not seen". However, it is the personal, individual discovery of those things not seen that warms the heart.

    I quote the above for this reason... though it is an impossibility for a person to PROVE that the Bible IS a reliable source of history, it is most assuredly the same impossibility to show it is NOT a reliable source of history. Thus is the dilemma for those of us without the gift of time travel.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 09-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    It is unfortunate that this thread has gotten hijacked over an "is the Bible true" argument. When I initially mentioned it, I intended to give my .02 about a source of happiness. Happiness will depend on your belief system. One's belief system is the essence of who they are...

    No one can come to the table with undeniable proof when speaking of the "things not seen". However, it is the personal, individual discovery of those things not seen that warms the heart.

    I quote the above for this reason... though it is an impossibility for a person to PROVE that the Bible IS a reliable source of history, it is most assuredly the same impossibility to show it is NOT a reliable source of history. Thus is the dilemma for those of us without the gift of time travel.
    Uh, it is quite easy to show it's not a reliable source of history. For example, demonstrating that the things claimed to happen at a certain period either never happened, or did not happen as recorded. Those kinds of things show that it is not a reliable source of history, and I did link to such a source already.

    Nice try, though.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Uh, it is quite easy to show it's not a reliable source of history. For example, demonstrating that the things claimed to happen at a certain period either never happened, or did not happen as recorded. Those kinds of things show that it is not a reliable source of history, and I did link to such a source already.

    Nice try, though.
    Ok... if we're going to continue this then a new thread is in order...

    We shall call it "demonstrating that the things claimed to happen at a certain period either never happened, or did not happen as recorded." in the Bible.

    Let's see how easy it is and... um... make sure you're source contains an eye witness because hearsay is not acceptable.

    Edit - I checked your "source" http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/982front.html

    Ummm... nope... Looks like your "source" needs a source.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 09-20-2011 at 07:33 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Ok... if we're going to continue this then a new thread is in order...

    We shall call it "demonstrating that the things claimed to happen at a certain period either never happened, or did not happen as recorded." in the Bible.

    Let's see how easy it is and... um... make sure you're source contains an eye witness because hearsay is not acceptable.

    Edit - I checked your "source" http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/982front.html

    Ummm... nope... Looks like your "source" needs a source.
    Eyewitnesses are not considered reliable. Archeology is a much greater source of evidence than an eyewitness account, and when the two are in contradiction, the archaeology should be taken as guiding, especially when it's something along the lines of "city claimed to be defeated in war by tribe was destroyed hundreds or thousands of years prior."

    Further sources that the stories of Ai and Jericho are not supported by archaeological evidence can be found attached to the Ai article at wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_%28Bible%29
    If et-Tell is indeed Ai, this poses a problem for defenders of the literal historicity of the Biblical accounts concerning the origin of ancient Israel; the reason for this is that traditional dating schemes place the Exodus from Egypt in 1440 BC and Joshua's conquest of Canaan around 1400 BC, a time at which the archaeological evidence shows Ai to have been completely unoccupied, as it had been for almost 1000 years. The later Iron Age I village appeared with no evidence of initial conquest, and the Iron I settlers seem to have peacefully built their village on the forsaken mound, without meeting resistance.[1] In addition Ai, meaning Ruin is a particularly strange name for a city to have, while it is a quite ordinary name for a pile of rubble to have; Ai would only really be expected to become Ai after it had been destroyed not before.
    To show something to not be entirely historically accurate requires showing only one such account to be unsupported by the historical record, but there is more than simply a single inaccurate account here. Other things, such as thousands of Israelis wandering the desert for 40 years after escaping from the Egyptians, the lack of records of Solomon, etc all speak much louder though. In short, Let the Stones Speak.

    Were the Israelites ever in Sinai? The answer, as far as archaeology can tell, is no, although "it has not been for lack of trying" (Finkelstein and Silberman 2001, p. 62). Repeated, extensive archaeological surveys of the peninsula have turned up absolutely no remains that could be attributed to a large group of wandering Israelites: no firepits or ash lenses, no pottery shards, no metal or stone implements, no day-to-day artifacts, no traces of campsites or ruins of temporary structures, no dolmens or cairns, no worn footpaths or trails, no domesticated animal bones, not even any human graves. Throughout the Middle and Late Bronze Age, the south and central Sinai is a wasteland as far as archaeology is concerned, lacking any evidence of transient or permanent occupation on any significant scale (Dever 1997, p. 72). The only evidence of human presence in the Sinai during the supposed time of the Exodus is along the northern coastal dunes, the so-called "Ways of Horus" - an Egyptian royal road leading from the Nile delta to Palestine, used by the New Kingdom pharaohs to facilitate quick movements of troops. Along this route, archaeologists have found abundant evidence of Egyptian presence, including fortified military outposts, granaries, and water reservoirs (Finkelstein and Silberman 2001, p. 60). However, this is precisely the route which the Bible tells us the Israelites did not take (Exodus 13:17).
    Last edited by Tawnos; 09-20-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Eyewitnesses are not considered reliable. Archeology is a much greater source of evidence than an eyewitness account, and when the two are in contradiction, the archaeology should be taken as guiding, especially when it's something along the lines of "city claimed to be defeated in war by tribe was destroyed hundreds or thousands of years prior."

    Further sources that the stories of Ai and Jericho are not supported by archaeological evidence can be found attached to the Ai article at wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_%28Bible%29


    To show something to not be entirely historically accurate requires showing only one such account to be unsupported by the historical record, but there is more than simply a single inaccurate account here. Other things, such as thousands of Israelis wandering the desert for 40 years after escaping from the Egyptians, the lack of records of Solomon, etc all speak much louder though. In short, Let the Stones Speak.
    Being as polite as possible... start another thread. Repost this and we'll discuss.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    To get this thread back on track:

    We now know that the key to not self-sabotaging is to learn how to develop good habits, break bad habits and to self-affirm daily. "I'm good enough", "I'm worth giving myself some praise", "I'm worthy of some 'me time', for a few minutes each day", and so forth.

    When you find yourself playing a 'negative tape', rephrase it in a positive light. "I'm stupid, I didn't study hard enough in school" ...becomes..."I can go back to school and having learned that studying is important will do better this time".

    What we're examining is a 'Delivery System' for our plans and aspirations and for a way to not live a deficiency-based life or a life full of guilt.

    More on what a 'Delivery System' is in the next message if interest is still here for NON RELIGIOUS BULLHOCKEY-based comments. All religious NUTS please create your own thread, thank you.

    -B
    PS - I have a belief in a spiritual component to my life but I keep it PERSONAL where it belongs, not proselytized like some wannabe TV Evangelist.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •