Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Running With A Gun? Open? Concealed? Which Gun? Which Holster? Ideas?

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Lightbulb Running With A Gun? Open? Concealed? Which Gun? Which Holster? Ideas?

    I run a lot and have decided that once I get my "permit" from Wisconsin I will "run with a gun" in my neighborhood. I have a few small guns I can run with but am open to any ideas of gun & holster combination that is comfortable and light weight.

    I will dress as a jogger, not a criminal running from the scene of a crime and have not decided yet to run concealed or run openly. That sounded strange.

    I have a couple of small guns with waist type holsters but they don't "run well". The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

    Ideas? Suggestions?

    I guess the gun runners among us could have a 5K run for WCI or the Veterans or some other worthy cause??
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  2. #2
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    Good quality retention ankle holster...???

    With shorts, it would be "Open Carry" with sweat pants it woud be "Concelaed Carry"...

    Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  3. #3
    McX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I run a lot and have decided that once I get my "permit" from Wisconsin I will "run with a gun" in my neighborhood. I have a few small guns I can run with but am open to any ideas of gun & holster combination that is comfortable and light weight.

    I will dress as a jogger, not a criminal running from the scene of a crime and have not decided yet to run concealed or run openly. That sounded strange.

    I have a couple of small guns with waist type holsters but they don't "run well". The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

    Ideas? Suggestions?

    I guess the gun runners among us could have a 5K run for WCI or the Veterans or some other worthy cause??
    you need a personal guard- he can carry! i dont run, but have had the runs, does that count?
    (still looking for my personal guard)

  4. #4
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    you need a personal guard- he can carry! i dont run, but have had the runs, does that count?
    (still looking for my personal guard)
    I might suggest that after having "the runs", and "looking for a personal guard", maybe something in the form of an "adult undergarment" might be the answer....

    Reminds me of an old joke..

    What does an 80 yr. old women smell like...

    Depends....

    Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Remora



    This chest holster is one I'm looking at.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    I might suggest that after having "the runs", and "looking for a personal guard", maybe something in the form of an "adult undergarment" might be the answer....

    Reminds me of an old joke..

    What does an 80 yr. old women smell like...

    Depends....

    Outdoorsman1
    Depends on his situation.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  6. #6
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    Depends on his situation.
    "Depends" on a lot of things..

    Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  7. #7
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187


    If you wanted to conceal, this should work.
    It's easily washable. I have a few, but have not used them for execise yet.

    When I run/walk or jog, I take water with me so I wear something like pictured below and I put a OC holster for a compact on it.
    I already have the weight of the water bottles so a compact handgun is not much more.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	running waist pack.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	6950



    I mountain bike mostly. So I put an OC holster on the left shoulder strap of my camelback for a right-handed cross draw, like Steve McGarrets tactical chest holster on Hawaii 5-0.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 09-19-2011 at 01:00 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    First, I question the logic.

    Why does a person of your import desire to run? It just looks bad and you have vassals for that. I personally strap on twin M14s and have never had to run anywhere.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Wink Thanks Guys! Well, At Least One Of Ya Gave Me An Idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    First, I question the logic.

    Why does a person of your import desire to run? It just looks bad and you have vassals for that. I personally strap on twin M14s and have never had to run anywhere.
    M14's are a bit long and heavy for me! I like the shoulder holster idea.


    Still need a light weight "run gun" that won't slow me down but has plenty of firepower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twin holsters.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	6955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	single chest.jpg 
Views:	7580 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	6954  
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Still need a light weight "run gun" that won't slow me down but has plenty of firepower.
    Ruger SP101
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  11. #11
    Regular Member Vandil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sun Prairie
    Posts
    240

  12. #12
    Regular Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neenah
    Posts
    194
    Personally, I swing my arms a lot when I run and a shoulder holster would get in the way of that. I am more of a cyclist than a runner, but I plan on carrying an Kel Tec 380 type gun on my 4 o'clock or mid back when on the bike under my jersey. I wear bib shorts which protect from the holster rubbing a hole in my hip/back and the pockets on the back that I carry a power bar and my cell phone in will cover the gun holster. If I were running I would wear an under armor layer beneath the holster and a loose shirt over it with a custom kydex holster that makes the gun look like a cell phone case or iPod. If it doesn't look like a gun under your shirt, then your not printing. If a bad guy says, "Hey MF'er, give me that iPod!" I would reply, "Sure, give me a sec and I'll get it for ya!" Something like this might be an idea http://masterofconcealment.com/pgrou...ts/?return=%3f Maybe sew in your own on your running gear. Just my $.02
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    .... The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

    Ideas? Suggestions?
    A good jockstrap usually works....
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  14. #14
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Something like this might be an idea http://masterofconcealment.com/pgrou...ts/?return=%3f Maybe sew in your own on your running gear. Just my $.02
    $70 is alot of money just to have a holster apart of the underwear. I would prefer to have then seperate. A belly band from the same company would work better I think with whatever compression underwear you wear. You could put the gun where you want it.

    I have not tried to conceal while I exercise yet. Always kept it legal, OC.

  15. #15
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    one thing to consider is that sweat will damage a firearm very quickly. You need to consider that. saying that, I know a gal that carried when she jogs, she uses an IWB holster at about 2 o'clock and religously cleans her weapon after every run.

  16. #16
    Regular Member bluehighways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    142
    Have you considered trying out a chest rig? You can get them made out of lightweight and super strong nylon webbing and synthetic fabrics, and a chest rig would hold your pistol snugly and securely against your chest, keeping it from bouncing around while you run. It could be easily concealed inside a lightweight windbreaker. Best of all it would work with your G36. You wouldn't have to sacrifice any firepower and could still carry comfortably on a jog or run.


    Try this link:

    http://www.gunnersecurity.com/produc...alment-holster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccw-outdoors-jogging-holster-man.jpeg 
Views:	1734 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	6959  
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

  17. #17
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehighways View Post
    Have you considered trying out a chest rig? You can get them made out of lightweight and super strong nylon webbing and synthetic fabrics, and a chest rig would hold your pistol snugly and securely against your chest, keeping it from bouncing around while you run. It could be easily concealed inside a lightweight windbreaker. Best of all it would work with your G36. You wouldn't have to sacrifice any firepower and could still carry comfortably on a jog or run.


    Try this link:

    http://www.gunnersecurity.com/produc...alment-holster
    I like the one posted be Vandil better. http://www.pistolwear.com/pt1.htm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pt1_75_2906671917.jpg 
Views:	1930 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	6960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pt1_104_2641338133.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	6961

    Though a BellyBand might work for faster draw.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 09-20-2011 at 03:54 AM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    one thing to consider is that sweat will damage a firearm very quickly. You need to consider that. saying that, I know a gal that carried when she jogs, she uses an IWB holster at about 2 o'clock and religously cleans her weapon after every run.
    Yes, that can be an issue on some lower quality weapons. I had a bersa .380 that pitted on one side of the slide after I carried it for a couple months one summer.

    With a glock, you probably wouldn't need to worry much at all. Not sure about other major makers.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    Yes, that can be an issue on some lower quality weapons. I had a bersa .380 that pitted on one side of the slide after I carried it for a couple months one summer.

    With a glock, you probably wouldn't need to worry much at all. Not sure about other major makers.
    Diamondback Firearms makes a 9mm http://diamondbackfirearms.com/DB9 that is super small and light (about the same size as a LCP). I think it is available with an EXO/FailZero coating by UCT Coatings that would protect the slide from moisture. Might be a good choice for an exercise carry gun.

  20. #20
    McX
    Guest
    in some parts of town, if you go running, if you carry someone's toaster, or tv under your arm, you'll blend in well.

    if you go running you should leave your gun with me, if you dont come back, i get to keep it.

    i'm always here to help.
    Last edited by McX; 09-20-2011 at 08:08 PM.

  21. #21
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Glock 17 in a Fobus paddle holster, with a good nylon web belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I run a lot and have decided that once I get my "permit" from Wisconsin I will "run with a gun" in my neighborhood. I have a few small guns I can run with but am open to any ideas of gun & holster combination that is comfortable and light weight.

    I will dress as a jogger, not a criminal running from the scene of a crime and have not decided yet to run concealed or run openly. That sounded strange.

    I have a couple of small guns with waist type holsters but they don't "run well". The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

    Ideas? Suggestions?

    I guess the gun runners among us could have a 5K run for WCI or the Veterans or some other worthy cause??
    I have used the above rig to run for several thousand miles here in the desert. I have only had a few abrasion problems over the years. It helps to keep the belt well cinched up. I have mostly run with the holster behind the right hip, so that your elbow does not contact the slide. That can be painful. If the belt loosens up, I have put it in the small of the back, which works pretty well. The key to this system is to keep the belt well cinched up.

    I have also used a fanny pack possitioned in front or in back. Neither has been very satsifactory because of the gun and pack bouncing as I ran. Still, it is acceptable, and I have done it when I needed to conceal the firearm, did not have the fobus available, or for some other reason. You can conceal the Fobus under a T-shirt, but it is likely to get soaked with sweat.

    I like to have at least a T-shirt between the Fobus and my skin.

    I have been running with this system from about 1995 or 1996, about 10-13 miles per week. I have been slowing down the past couple of years and have done more climbing hills and stairs to keep up the necessary aerobics.

  22. #22
    Regular Member ROOK_WI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Franklin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    131
    I use my smartcarry for jogging (when traveling for work).

    http://www.smartcarry.com/

  23. #23
    Regular Member bluehighways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    142

    Glock 17 in a Fobus paddle holster, with a good nylon web belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    I have used the above rig to run for several thousand miles here in the desert. I have only had a few abrasion problems over the years. It helps to keep the belt well cinched up. I have mostly run with the holster behind the right hip, so that your elbow does not contact the slide. That can be painful. If the belt loosens up, I have put it in the small of the back, which works pretty well. The key to this system is to keep the belt well cinched up.

    I have also used a fanny pack possitioned in front or in back. Neither has been very satsifactory because of the gun and pack bouncing as I ran. Still, it is acceptable, and I have done it when I needed to conceal the firearm, did not have the fobus available, or for some other reason. You can conceal the Fobus under a T-shirt, but it is likely to get soaked with sweat.

    I like to have at least a T-shirt between the Fobus and my skin.

    I have been running with this system from about 1995 or 1996, about 10-13 miles per week. I have been slowing down the past couple of years and have done more climbing hills and stairs to keep up the necessary aerobics.
    I used to use a Fobus paddle holster and a wide nylon waist belt with my G21 while day hiking / snowshoeing through the woods in winter. The wide belt (seatbelt webbing and a big quick release buckle) would fit over my insulated coveralls and was really comfortable to wear all day. I carried my pistol above my hips, up on my waist. This setup worked really well for me.
    Last edited by bluehighways; 09-21-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Red face I Had A Few Ideas, But Nothing Comes Close To What I Have Seen Here....Thanks!

    There are a lot more responses than I thought there would be about this subject. Here I thought most gun carry types would not run with a gun. I think I was wrong on that assumption and am glad to of been wrong.

    I hope others who have had the same idea about jogging/running are using the suggestions from you guys. There sure are a lot of good ones!

    Now the difficult part is which one to actually get....
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  25. #25
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    First, I question the logic.

    Why does a person of your import desire to run? It just looks bad and you have vassals for that. I personally strap on twin M14s and have never had to run anywhere.
    I always thought that part of the logic of buying a gun; was that I wouldn't have to run, anymore...


    Serfs up;
    Lurch
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •