• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running With A Gun? Open? Concealed? Which Gun? Which Holster? Ideas?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I run a lot and have decided that once I get my "permit" from Wisconsin I will "run with a gun" in my neighborhood. I have a few small guns I can run with but am open to any ideas of gun & holster combination that is comfortable and light weight.

I will dress as a jogger, not a criminal running from the scene of a crime and have not decided yet to run concealed or run openly. That sounded strange.

I have a couple of small guns with waist type holsters but they don't "run well". The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I guess the gun runners among us could have a 5K run for WCI or the Veterans or some other worthy cause?? :)

Outdoorsman1

Good quality retention ankle holster...???

With shorts, it would be "Open Carry" with sweat pants it woud be "Concelaed Carry"...

Outdoorsman1

M

McX

I run a lot and have decided that once I get my "permit" from Wisconsin I will "run with a gun" in my neighborhood. I have a few small guns I can run with but am open to any ideas of gun & holster combination that is comfortable and light weight.

I will dress as a jogger, not a criminal running from the scene of a crime and have not decided yet to run concealed or run openly. That sounded strange.

I have a couple of small guns with waist type holsters but they don't "run well". The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I guess the gun runners among us could have a 5K run for WCI or the Veterans or some other worthy cause?? :)

you need a personal guard- he can carry! i dont run, but have had the runs, does that count?
(still looking for my personal guard)

Outdoorsman1

you need a personal guard- he can carry! i dont run, but have had the runs, does that count?
(still looking for my personal guard)

I might suggest that after having "the runs", and "looking for a personal guard", maybe something in the form of an "adult undergarment" might be the answer....:lol:

Reminds me of an old joke..

What does an 80 yr. old women smell like...

Depends....

Outdoorsman1

protias

Remora

[video=youtube;4izM0fiz6kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izM0fiz6kk[/video]

This chest holster is one I'm looking at.

I might suggest that after having "the runs", and "looking for a personal guard", maybe something in the form of an "adult undergarment" might be the answer....:lol:

Reminds me of an old joke..

What does an 80 yr. old women smell like...

Depends....

Outdoorsman1

Depends on his situation. :p

BROKENSPROKET

[video=youtube_share;NfGBmGTXNJk]http://youtu.be/NfGBmGTXNJk[/video]

If you wanted to conceal, this should work.
It's easily washable. I have a few, but have not used them for execise yet.

When I run/walk or jog, I take water with me so I wear something like pictured below and I put a OC holster for a compact on it.
I already have the weight of the water bottles so a compact handgun is not much more.

running waist pack.jpg

I mountain bike mostly. So I put an OC holster on the left shoulder strap of my camelback for a right-handed cross draw, like Steve McGarrets tactical chest holster on Hawaii 5-0.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

First, I question the logic.

Why does a person of your import desire to run? It just looks bad and you have vassals for that. I personally strap on twin M14s and have never had to run anywhere.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Guys! Well, At Least One Of Ya Gave Me An Idea!

First, I question the logic.

Why does a person of your import desire to run? It just looks bad and you have vassals for that. I personally strap on twin M14s and have never had to run anywhere.

M14's are a bit long and heavy for me! I like the shoulder holster idea.

Still need a light weight "run gun" that won't slow me down but has plenty of firepower.

Attachments

• single chest.jpg
    single chest.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 8,314
  • twin holsters.jpg
    twin holsters.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 414

Zeus

Personally, I swing my arms a lot when I run and a shoulder holster would get in the way of that. I am more of a cyclist than a runner, but I plan on carrying an Kel Tec 380 type gun on my 4 o'clock or mid back when on the bike under my jersey. I wear bib shorts which protect from the holster rubbing a hole in my hip/back and the pockets on the back that I carry a power bar and my cell phone in will cover the gun holster. If I were running I would wear an under armor layer beneath the holster and a loose shirt over it with a custom kydex holster that makes the gun look like a cell phone case or iPod. If it doesn't look like a gun under your shirt, then your not printing. If a bad guy says, "Hey MF'er, give me that iPod!" I would reply, "Sure, give me a sec and I'll get it for ya!" :lol: Something like this might be an idea http://masterofconcealment.com/pgro...rTech+UnderCover+Concealment+Shorts/?return=? Maybe sew in your own on your running gear. Just my $.02

BROKENSPROKET

Something like this might be an idea http://masterofconcealment.com/pgro...rTech+UnderCover+Concealment+Shorts/?return=? Maybe sew in your own on your running gear. Just my $.02

$70 is alot of money just to have a holster apart of the underwear. I would prefer to have then seperate. A belly band from the same company would work better I think with whatever compression underwear you wear. You could put the gun where you want it.

I have not tried to conceal while I exercise yet. Always kept it legal, OC.

hermannr

one thing to consider is that sweat will damage a firearm very quickly. You need to consider that. saying that, I know a gal that carried when she jogs, she uses an IWB holster at about 2 o'clock and religously cleans her weapon after every run.

bluehighways

Have you considered trying out a chest rig? You can get them made out of lightweight and super strong nylon webbing and synthetic fabrics, and a chest rig would hold your pistol snugly and securely against your chest, keeping it from bouncing around while you run. It could be easily concealed inside a lightweight windbreaker. Best of all it would work with your G36. You wouldn't have to sacrifice any firepower and could still carry comfortably on a jog or run.

Try this link:

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/produ...g-driving-skiing-outdoors-concealment-holster

Attachments

• ccw-outdoors-jogging-holster-man.jpeg
    ccw-outdoors-jogging-holster-man.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,969

BROKENSPROKET

Have you considered trying out a chest rig? You can get them made out of lightweight and super strong nylon webbing and synthetic fabrics, and a chest rig would hold your pistol snugly and securely against your chest, keeping it from bouncing around while you run. It could be easily concealed inside a lightweight windbreaker. Best of all it would work with your G36. You wouldn't have to sacrifice any firepower and could still carry comfortably on a jog or run.

Try this link:

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/produ...g-driving-skiing-outdoors-concealment-holster

I like the one posted be Vandil better. http://www.pistolwear.com/pt1.htm
pt1_75_2906671917.jpgpt1_104_2641338133.jpg

Though a BellyBand might work for faster draw.

Last edited:

amaixner

one thing to consider is that sweat will damage a firearm very quickly. You need to consider that. saying that, I know a gal that carried when she jogs, she uses an IWB holster at about 2 o'clock and religously cleans her weapon after every run.

Yes, that can be an issue on some lower quality weapons. I had a bersa .380 that pitted on one side of the slide after I carried it for a couple months one summer.

With a glock, you probably wouldn't need to worry much at all. Not sure about other major makers.

mja1000

Yes, that can be an issue on some lower quality weapons. I had a bersa .380 that pitted on one side of the slide after I carried it for a couple months one summer.

With a glock, you probably wouldn't need to worry much at all. Not sure about other major makers.

Diamondback Firearms makes a 9mm http://diamondbackfirearms.com/DB9 that is super small and light (about the same size as a LCP). I think it is available with an EXO/FailZero coating by UCT Coatings that would protect the slide from moisture. Might be a good choice for an exercise carry gun.

M

McX

in some parts of town, if you go running, if you carry someone's toaster, or tv under your arm, you'll blend in well.

if you go running you should leave your gun with me, if you dont come back, i get to keep it.

i'm always here to help.

Last edited: