• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running With A Gun? Open? Concealed? Which Gun? Which Holster? Ideas?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Glock 17 in a Fobus paddle holster, with a good nylon web belt.

I run a lot and have decided that once I get my "permit" from Wisconsin I will "run with a gun" in my neighborhood. I have a few small guns I can run with but am open to any ideas of gun & holster combination that is comfortable and light weight.

I will dress as a jogger, not a criminal running from the scene of a crime and have not decided yet to run concealed or run openly. That sounded strange.

I have a couple of small guns with waist type holsters but they don't "run well". The guns I have bounce up and down a lot and are very uncomfortable to run with.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I guess the gun runners among us could have a 5K run for WCI or the Veterans or some other worthy cause?? :)

I have used the above rig to run for several thousand miles here in the desert. I have only had a few abrasion problems over the years. It helps to keep the belt well cinched up. I have mostly run with the holster behind the right hip, so that your elbow does not contact the slide. That can be painful. If the belt loosens up, I have put it in the small of the back, which works pretty well. The key to this system is to keep the belt well cinched up.

I have also used a fanny pack possitioned in front or in back. Neither has been very satsifactory because of the gun and pack bouncing as I ran. Still, it is acceptable, and I have done it when I needed to conceal the firearm, did not have the fobus available, or for some other reason. You can conceal the Fobus under a T-shirt, but it is likely to get soaked with sweat.

I like to have at least a T-shirt between the Fobus and my skin.

I have been running with this system from about 1995 or 1996, about 10-13 miles per week. I have been slowing down the past couple of years and have done more climbing hills and stairs to keep up the necessary aerobics.

bluehighways

Glock 17 in a Fobus paddle holster, with a good nylon web belt.

I have used the above rig to run for several thousand miles here in the desert. I have only had a few abrasion problems over the years. It helps to keep the belt well cinched up. I have mostly run with the holster behind the right hip, so that your elbow does not contact the slide. That can be painful. If the belt loosens up, I have put it in the small of the back, which works pretty well. The key to this system is to keep the belt well cinched up.

I have also used a fanny pack possitioned in front or in back. Neither has been very satsifactory because of the gun and pack bouncing as I ran. Still, it is acceptable, and I have done it when I needed to conceal the firearm, did not have the fobus available, or for some other reason. You can conceal the Fobus under a T-shirt, but it is likely to get soaked with sweat.

I like to have at least a T-shirt between the Fobus and my skin.

I have been running with this system from about 1995 or 1996, about 10-13 miles per week. I have been slowing down the past couple of years and have done more climbing hills and stairs to keep up the necessary aerobics.

I used to use a Fobus paddle holster and a wide nylon waist belt with my G21 while day hiking / snowshoeing through the woods in winter. The wide belt (seatbelt webbing and a big quick release buckle) would fit over my insulated coveralls and was really comfortable to wear all day. I carried my pistol above my hips, up on my waist. This setup worked really well for me.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Had A Few Ideas, But Nothing Comes Close To What I Have Seen Here....Thanks!

There are a lot more responses than I thought there would be about this subject. Here I thought most gun carry types would not run with a gun. I think I was wrong on that assumption and am glad to of been wrong.

I hope others who have had the same idea about jogging/running are using the suggestions from you guys. There sure are a lot of good ones!

Now the difficult part is which one to actually get.... :)

Lurchiron

First, I question the logic.

Why does a person of your import desire to run? It just looks bad and you have vassals for that. I personally strap on twin M14s and have never had to run anywhere.

I always thought that part of the logic of buying a gun; was that I wouldn't have to run, anymore...

Serfs up;
Lurch :dude:

MKEgal

hermannr said:
one thing to consider is that sweat will damage a firearm very quickly.
amaixner said:
Yes, that can be an issue on some lower quality weapons.
...With a glock, you probably wouldn't need to worry much at all.
Pretty much what I was thinking.
One of the tests they do is corrosion resistance, & IIRC it's better than stainless.

On the main topic, I carry because I don't run, or at least, not much & not far.
But I'd think that a belly band would prevent bouncing.