• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPR Call in Radio program scheduled for Sept. 20th 9 to 10am

Edward Peruta

Scheduled for tomorrow September 29th
TUESDAY: The Gun Fight
One of the most contentious political issues that never seems to go away is the battle over the 2nd Amendment. A new book chronicles the long story of gun rights and gun control in America. As author Adam Winkler said, the two sides are not “mutually exclusive.” Winkler joins us to discuss
Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.

I have accepted an invitation to be on the program to offer information regarding issues here in Connecticut.

http://www.cpbn.org/listen-live

WNPR - Connecticut Public Radio

WNPR Coverage Map
Hartford/New Haven: 90.5 FM
Norwich/New London: 89.1 FM
Stamford/Greenwich: 88.5 FM
Southampton, NY: 91.3 FM
Storrs: 99.5 FM (translator)

Firearm Topics I AM PREPARED TO DISCUSS WHILE ON THE NPR broadcast on September 20[SUP]th[/SUP] 9-10am

Our Federal Constitutional right

Second Amendment Right (Keep and Bear)

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The Heller decision acknowledged and finally gave us as individuals or Second Amendment Right keep/possess firearms in the home

The McDonald decision acknowledged and applied our Second Amendment Rights to every state through the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment

Our Connecticut Constitutional Right

Connecticut Constitution Article I, Section 15. (Bear)

Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Connecticut issues I am prepared to discuss:

Connecticut groups, organizations and websites involved in protecting the rights of firearm owners

The National Rifle Association (currently providing financial support to several Connecticut cases)
Connecticut Coalition of Sportsmen (currently has a fund to support firearm issues)
Connecticut Citizens Defense League (a new organization that is attempting to make a difference)

Google is a great tool

www.ctgunrights.com
www.opencarry.org in the Connecticut Section of their discussion forum
www.cagluns.net in their discussion forum
www.ccdl.us

Connecticut Attorneys involved in protecting the rights of firearm owners (Attorney Rachel Baird, Attorney Douglas Hall and Attorney Ralph Sherman)

The unwillingness or inability of the legislature to review and amend Connecticut State Statues following Heller and McDonald

Purchasing and/or Obtaining firearms

The issue of those who are 18,19 and 20 years old
Eligibility Certificates to purchase or take ownership of handguns
Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers to purchase or take ownership of handguns
The abuse of determining SUITABILITY as determined by different Connecticut issuing authorities under vastly different standards

The unanswered questions

The state’s refusal to provide clear answers to questions posed by individuals regarding the carrying of firearms.

Transferring firearms

The case of a gentlemen in Harwinton who was intimidated by three uniformed State Troopers into giving his firearms to an individual who did not possess a permit.

To “Keep” firearms

The case of Barbara “Casey” Doutel v. Norwalk currently in the Connecticut Federal District Court

To “Bear” firearms

The case of James Goldberg v. Glastonbury currently scheduled for oral argument at the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in the third week of November.
The case of Richard Burgess v. Wallingford currently in the Connecticut Federal District Court
The expected case of Duane Doutel v. Norwalk for leaving a phone message on his former Doctor’s answering machine
The right to Carry openly or concealed
The right to Not to be profiled because you own or carrying firearms
The right to Seek timely a resolution and/or hearings of denials and revocations regarding Eligibility Certificates and Permits to Carry

The case of M. Peter Kuck v. Danaher currently combined with Goldberg v. Danaher in the Connecticut Federal District Court after a decision by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals

HOW LAW ENFORCEMENT AGRENCIES IN CT HAVE AVOIDED MANDATORY AT RISK WARRANTS

IMPROPER ARRESTS FOR BREACH OF PEACE AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT

The right not to be confronted, detained and arrested, (“Terry Stopped”), for simply exercising the right to bear firearms in public

The case of James Goldberg v. Glastonbury currently scheduled for oral argument at the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in the third week of November after a District Court decsion in the case.

KIX

Damn server issue here at work, missed it.....

Jonathan

Rich B

Ed did well on the show. He had a 'constitutional law expert' on that argued for 'common sense gun control', despite the Heller and McDonald decisions.

Ed presented the issues in CT nicely and asked a good question 'How would people have felt about "common sense" gun control (like not having machine guns, etc) on the west coast in the days right after Pearl Harbor?'.

dcmdon

I thought Ed always open carried? What was the snippet about making a law against it? that struck me as not something Ed would have said, or did I catch it out of context?

Nah. From what I've seen, Ed isn't even much of a gun guy. Hes a gun RIGHTS guy. I admire him more because of that.

Edward Peruta

Clairification

To claify what I believe in regarding OPEN or CONCEALED carry.

Connecticut currently allows either OPEN or CONCEAL carry and I am TOTALLY satisfield and content with the current laws.

To all who have listened to the NPR program where I was a guest.

My concern is INADVERTANT exposure when carrying CONCEALED.

If the State of Connecticut passes a law to mandate CONCEALMENT, then they must include all the necessary clearly defined exemptions which will cover INADVERTANT exposure.

I currently carry OPENLY because of the clothes I wear in the spring, summer and early fall.

I have and do carry openly into Banks, doctor's offices, Hotels, Town Government buildings, local areas businesses, on my motorcycle and in my vehicle without any problems.

I have also carried concealed when I believe it would be better to do so.

I don't like leaving my firearm behind unattended in my vehicle especially if there is someone remaining in the vehicle without a permit to carry.

In the winter my firearm would be concealed by an other coat or sports coat unless I am inside somewhere.

Open is the preferred manner of carry in my opinion, but threre are those that will attempt to require concealment and it may become law.

I AM a SECOND AMENDMENT advocate and have invested a great deal of my time and resources into addressing issues here in CT.

I have received communicaitons since the program that CT NPR may discuss the topic again in the future.

I believe that NPR in CT should be congratulated for giving the topic the exposure it deserves and will gladly accept any future offers to appear on their programs.

Last edited:

KIX

Good job!

I would add about 10,000 to the permits. I was told 174,00 plus...... Lots of new permit holders since the last Presidential election!

Jonathan

KIX

Forgot:

Your Texas point:

That was the Luby's Cafeteria shooting and the woman was Suzanna Gratia Hupp.

Thanx!

Jonathan