• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on RTC Public Transportation (Need Update!)

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
And here is Dave's response:
I will be at all the meetings until this get resolved

Can you keep us advised as to when and where these meetings will be? I was unable to get to the one on Friday (I was over in the People's Republic) but will go to others if I'm around.

I would suggest that at each meeting you simply say "At your meeting on September 30, I brought up the issue of RTC's violation of state law regarding open carry of firearms. I have been informed that there would be a legal briefing on the issue. I would like to know what progress has been made to correct RTC policy to conform to state law, and when further progress is to be expected."

You might also HAND-DELIVER (and get a receipt) information on the Sparks city parks OC correction. This might help them see that they aren't on the side of angels, and show them a face-saving way out.

renoglock22

So I have been thinking about how to go about educating RTC on the law. I was at the board meeting with john and all of the board members seemed busy with food and other things anp were not listening to john at all. My thoughts and strategy come from the civil rights movements. I think we should, as a group or as individuals should perform a sit in on the buses OCing. It worked for Rosa Parks. Yes she was dragged off of the bus but it was a big step in the movement. While going to meetings and reminding the board of the law, as much as they seemed to not care, it could take years. Please tell me if I am being too rash but I think we need to take more action especially when our rights are in question.

DVC

Please tell me if I am being too rash but I think we need to take more action especially when our rights are in question.

I think that you are being too rash.

Rosa Parks only threatened people's belief systems.

Men with guns are seen as a more direct threat. We need to live Heinlein's dictum that "An armed society is a polite society."

Give the bureaucrats time to find out that they haven't got the support they think they have on this issue. Be there at every meeting, don't let them set it aside, and we will win without making anyone feel frightened.

renoglock22

I think that you are being too rash.

Rosa Parks only threatened people's belief systems.

Men with guns are seen as a more direct threat. We need to live Heinlein's dictum that "An armed society is a polite society."

Give the bureaucrats time to find out that they haven't got the support they think they have on this issue. Be there at every meeting, don't let them set it aside, and we will win without making anyone feel frightened.

By going on a bus while OCing is threatening a belief system. It is challenging the belief that only LEO's can carry a gun. I am not saying we should get violent about it but just perform a peaceful sit in and when the police forcefully remove us then we have more to fight with in court. Also, the American Revolution wasn't won by our fore fathers going to the English government and sitting in and mentioning that we would like to be a free state. No, we stood up and said this is how it's gonna be and we will fight for our freedom. We shouldn't stand by and only try to negotiate our rights but we should show them that these ARE our rights and they will not be infringed upon.

DVC

By going on a bus while OCing is threatening a belief system.

Concur.

But look at how they handled it. They did NOT have sit-ins, instead they refused to give their business to the bus authority, costing them money (they still had to send the buses, but didn't get the fares to pay for the service).

They won using the principles of Aikido. If the company didn't want them in the front of the bus, then surely the company would be happier if they weren't on the bus at all!

In other words, they were pleasant rather than confronting, and they out-pleasanted the company.

We need to do the same thing, but there is the added factor that we are ARMED. We have to NOT be an adversary, but instead be their friends. Instead of forcing the issue, we have to help them see for themselves that they are in the wrong, both in the law and in their fears of us.

This isn't the American Revolution, this is simply getting a few words removed from an obsolete policy, the same way it was done in the Sparks parks and in the DMVs. They were given the chance to read the law and comply, and they did so. Sure, they did it simply to keep from being sued, but they DID it and it only took a couple of polite letters. If we get adversarial, they won't be so reasonable, and it will take longer to get the same result.

wrightme

Everyone, read this.

Learn it, live it, love it.

THAT is how you create change.
VERY well stated, DVC.

Concur.

But look at how they handled it. They did NOT have sit-ins, instead they refused to give their business to the bus authority, costing them money (they still had to send the buses, but didn't get the fares to pay for the service).

They won using the principles of Aikido. If the company didn't want them in the front of the bus, then surely the company would be happier if they weren't on the bus at all!

In other words, they were pleasant rather than confronting, and they out-pleasanted the company.

We need to do the same thing, but there is the added factor that we are ARMED. We have to NOT be an adversary, but instead be their friends. Instead of forcing the issue, we have to help them see for themselves that they are in the wrong, both in the law and in their fears of us.

This isn't the American Revolution, this is simply getting a few words removed from an obsolete policy, the same way it was done in the Sparks parks and in the DMVs. They were given the chance to read the law and comply, and they did so. Sure, they did it simply to keep from being sued, but they DID it and it only took a couple of polite letters. If we get adversarial, they won't be so reasonable, and it will take longer to get the same result.

Last edited:

renoglock22

Ok you make a really good point. The only reason I even suggested riding the bus like that was because at the meeting when john was speaking it seemed like they could care less. So you are right we should write letters and go to meetings and be as polite as possible. I will do what I can to help. Thank you for your input, I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize our OC movement and will not do anything without the support of the OC community.

DVC

Everyone, read this.

Learn it, live it, love it.

THAT is how you create change.
VERY well stated, DVC.

Thanks.

It is just an eternal principle that it is better to win friends than win wars, especially when our opponents were prepared for conflict and anger. When we don't fit the stereotype, they feel silly and pay better attention.

Most people are reasonable. If they don't agree with us, then we simply have to assume that they don't know what we know, rather than assuming that they are stupid or evil. When we explain to them (and they LISTEN, because we are being reasonable), there is a strong chance that they will reach the same conclusions that we have. Even if they do not, they at least have a greater understanding of our point of view, and more chance that they will respect it.