Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to VA

Question New to VA

I am new to VA and I have some questions regarding OC. As I am quite new to a state with OC capabilities I just want to cover my basis. I cant seem to find a good "this is allowed, this isnt" kind of thing. I stumbles across this forum so I thought Id asked here...

1) I am able to have a firearm fully loaded while OC (this includes one up the pipe)?
    2) is there a restriction as to how much my barrel can extend from the holster?
    3) what are some general "dont carry places" while OC
    4) just the verufy that NO permit is required in anyway shapre or form to OC

Quote Originally Posted by sysadmin View Post
    I am new to VA and I have some questions regarding OC. As I am quite new to a state with OC capabilities I just want to cover my basis. I cant seem to find a good "this is allowed, this isnt" kind of thing. I stumbles across this forum so I thought Id asked here...

1) I am able to have a firearm fully loaded while OC (this includes one up the pipe)?
    3) what are some general "dont carry places" while OC
    Welcome to Virginia!!! Welcome to OCDO!!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!

As for your questions:

1. Yes
    2. No
    3:

July 7, 2011 – June 30, 2012
    Places where carry is prohibited in Virginia
    NOTE: In most locations where concealed carry (CC) is prohibited, open carry (OC) is also prohibited.
    Federal facilities(buildings) (18USC930)
    Many federal agency lands (various federal regs, e.g., USPS,
    but not National Parks)
    National Forests: OC prohibited except where hunting is
    allowed (4VAC15-40-60)
    General Assembly Buildings except for CHP holders (Joint
    Rules Committee rule)
    Hog Island Wildlife Management Area (4VAC15-40-120)
    VirginiaCommonwealthUniversity (8VAC90-10-50)
    GeorgeMasonUniversitybuildings (8VAC35-60-20)
    Courthouses (18.2-283.1)
    DetentionFacilities (15.2-915)
    K-12 school grounds (CHP holders exempted for CC while in a vehicle; handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle also exempted.) (18.2-308.1)
    K-12schoolbuses. (18.2-308.1)
    Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (18.2-308.1)
    Air carrier airport terminal buildings (18.2-287.01)
    Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (18.2-283)
    Restaurants & clubs: CC prohibited while consuming alcoholic beverages (18.2-308.J3)
    Private property when prohibited by owner (18.2-308.O &
    trespass violation)

4. No permit is required to open carry

Check out the Virginia Citizens Defense league. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in Virginia. If you go to their website you can sign up for the VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. the website is www.vcdl.org
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-19-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thank you. I know in SC the CC laws were very well spelled out. Trying to find the OC laws clearly spelled out has not been easy. I just want to make sure I dont get slapped with a felony while carrying around here....

Thank you. I know in SC the CC laws were very well spelled out. Trying to find the OC laws clearly spelled out has not been easy. I just want to make sure I dont get slapped with a felony while carrying around here....
    In VA you will find that laws are written to prohibit actions. Therefore you won't find any laws explicitly stating that OC is legal in VA. Since no law prohibits it, it is legal. I think you will find OC in VA very easy. It is fairly well accepted throughout the entire state.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-19-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Awesome. Thank you very much for the info.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the site!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    This class may be beneficial to you - http://proactiveshooters.com/general...d-carry-in-va/
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Welcome to Virginia and OCDO. Besides just joining VCDL, go to the gun shows and hang out at the VCDL table. You will learn quite a bit just listening to the questions posed and answers provided. Keep your eyes open for open-carry dinners and other events in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area and go meet your fellow OCers. Keep posing questions here - you will probably get more detailed answers than you thought possible.

Out of curiosity, where did you used to hang your hat before coming to Virginia? It sounds like you were in SC. I think you will like the difference being here.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter
    This class may be beneficial to you - http://proactiveshooters.com/general...d-carry-in-va/
    Just bring warm clothes with you, that conference room at Bass Pro would make a polar bear feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Just bring warm clothes with you, that conference room at Bass Pro would make a polar bear feel at home
    LOL! Kept you awake though, didnt it?

I wish they could adjust it better. Took 6 months just to fix the lights in there....next, the A/C!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

actually the class itself is interesting enough to keep me awake

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    You got that right.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    I am new to VA
    Welcome.. Send me an envelope for some Open carry Info cards
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

actually the class itself is interesting enough to keep me awake
    Thank you. I always hope that people find the information in the class to be relevant and interesting.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Others have mentioned that there is no law specifically PERMITTING open carry, only that no law has ever made it specifically illegal. Correct as far as it goes, but I think everyone should remember that our Virginia constitution, in Art. 1, sec. 13 clearly states that the citizens have a right to keep and bear arms. Bearing arms means carrying them openly, since CC is a privilege that requires a permit. The nice thing is that most Virginians take their constitution seriously, as opposed to many other Americans regarding the federal one. I just remind people that we are not living on federal soil; we live in the sovereign commonwealth of VA, and with the exception of a conflict with federal laws, our laws apply!

Sysadmin, welcome to Va and OCDO!

Join VCDL!
    Last edited by Dutch Uncle; 09-20-2011 at 05:24 PM.

I just moved here not too long ago from Greenville SC where I held a CWP. It was clear that the laws in SC were very plainly spelled out. Right down to the size and lettering of the sign prohibiting concealed carry. Because of that I am very hesitant to start OC here with out making 100% sure I'm not going to get thrown in jail with a gun charge.

I just moved here not too long ago from Greenville SC where I held a CWP. It was clear that the laws in SC were very plainly spelled out. Right down to the size and lettering of the sign prohibiting concealed carry. Because of that I am very hesitant to start OC here with out making 100% sure I'm not going to get thrown in jail with a gun charge.
    You should go to one of the OC dinners in your area. For the most part, the folks in your area are great people.
    If you want, come up to Richmond. The dinners here are the second Tuesday of each month.
    I often drive 100 miles for it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You should go to one of the OC dinners in your area. For the most part, the folks in your area are great people.
    How do I get Involved with this?

How do I get Involved with this?
    The OC Dinners (and other events) welcome everyone. Generally they are announced here. This is the meeting place and news service for many of us.
    Hopefully TJ or one of the others in the neighborhood will jump in. If not, PM me and I'll check on their next date....or, as I said, ours are every month and there will be a sticky with the location.

You don't have to carry, most of us do but a few, my wife included, rarely do. The idea is to get together with like minded and enjoyable people and we almost always convert someone passing by.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The OC Dinners (and other events) welcome everyone. Generally they are announced here. This is the meeting place and news service for many of us.
    Hopefully TJ or one of the others in the neighborhood will jump in. If not, PM me and I'll check on their next date....or, as I said, ours are every month and there will be a sticky with the location.

You don't have to carry, most of us do but a few, my wife included, rarely do. The idea is to get together with like minded and enjoyable people and we almost always convert someone passing by.

One more question I thought of...

signs that prohibit the carry of a firearm (CC or OC)....
    is there a law stating what kind and size or can it be a hand written piece of scratch paper stuck to a door?

Quote Originally Posted by sysadmin
    One more question I thought of...

signs that prohibit the carry of a firearm (CC or OC)....
    is there a law stating what kind and size or can it be a hand written piece of scratch paper stuck to a door?
    No rules about kind, size, wording, or placement of signs. A sign doesn't even have to exist. On private property the owner of the property can simply tell you verbally that you can't carry, as can employees of a business. If this happens, then just leave, don't cause a scene about there being no sign because there is always the chance that others have visited there hundreds of times while concealing and no one has known. Once the sign is placed then all those other people are going to be S.O.L. if they return

No, but don't be a goof. Buy a holster that covers the muzzle. $29 at opticsplanet.net gets you a Safariland ALS for many guns.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

No rules about kind, size, wording, or placement of signs. A sign doesn't even have to exist. On private property the owner of the property can simply tell you verbally that you can't carry, as can employees of a business. If this happens, then just leave, don't cause a scene about there being no sign because there is always the chance that others have visited there hundreds of times while concealing and no one has known. Once the sign is placed then all those other people are going to be S.O.L. if they return
    There is one important point to make about signs and private property in Virginia.

While there are places that are prohibited by statute, (schools, etc.) it is not a statute violation in Virginia to carry on private property, in and of itself.

This is a little sticky, and obviously I can't give legal advice, but in general terms, Virginia is unlike some other states where violation of the property owner's wishes is actually a crime. Here, once you learn* that you are not welcome, simply leave. There are debates on signs, and fair notice, and blah blah blah, I'll leave it to those with cites at their fingertips to fill in the blanks. Generally speaking, especially if you didn't see a sign, you're fine until someone who has the authority to do so tells you to leave.

And of course once that point is clear, you comply immediately, leaving full carts of groceries or other hopefully expensive merchandise, behind for the next sucker to buy instead of you.

*One final thought... often people are ambiguous about asking you to leave. They might say "sir you can't have that here", or "sir, you need to leave that in your car"... I found one of the best pieces of advice I've heard here is to simply reply with "What are you asking me to do?" That puts them on the line to tell you exactly what they want. If it's to leave, then fine, you know, no ambiguity. If it's some mealy-mouthed rant about feelings, then that's fine too, you can safely ignore those.

TFred

There is the "1000 foot rule" with schools. Get a lock box, some gun vault or something and unload it when you travel.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 09-21-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    There is the "1000 foot rule" with schools. Get a lock box, some gun vault or something and unload it when you travel.
    If you have a Virginia CHP, this is not necessary. You may carry along a sidewalk next to a school, open or concealed, at your discretion and you will be within the law. And if you are OC'ing you don't need to have your CHP with you regardless of whether or not a school is across the street.

Also if I am not mistaken, no one in our state has been charged with the bogus federal law anyway. But U.S. Code 18,922 spells it out if there are questions.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast