• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to VA

sysadmin

I am new to VA and I have some questions regarding OC. As I am quite new to a state with OC capabilities I just want to cover my basis. I cant seem to find a good "this is allowed, this isnt" kind of thing. I stumbles across this forum so I thought Id asked here...

1) I am able to have a firearm fully loaded while OC (this includes one up the pipe)?
2) is there a restriction as to how much my barrel can extend from the holster?
3) what are some general "dont carry places" while OC
4) just the verufy that NO permit is required in anyway shapre or form to OC

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am new to VA and I have some questions regarding OC. As I am quite new to a state with OC capabilities I just want to cover my basis. I cant seem to find a good "this is allowed, this isnt" kind of thing. I stumbles across this forum so I thought Id asked here...

1) I am able to have a firearm fully loaded while OC (this includes one up the pipe)?
2) is there a restriction as to how much my barrel can extend from the holster?
3) what are some general "dont carry places" while OC
4) just the verufy that NO permit is required in anyway shapre or form to OC

Welcome to Virginia!!! Welcome to OCDO!!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!

As for your questions:

1. Yes
2. No
3:

July 7, 2011 – June 30, 2012
Places where carry is prohibited in Virginia
NOTE: In most locations where concealed carry (CC) is prohibited, open carry (OC) is also prohibited.
Federal facilities(buildings) (18USC930)
Many federal agency lands (various federal regs, e.g., USPS,
but not National Parks)
National Forests: OC prohibited except where hunting is
allowed (4VAC15-40-60)
General Assembly Buildings except for CHP holders (Joint
Rules Committee rule)
Hog Island Wildlife Management Area (4VAC15-40-120)
VirginiaCommonwealthUniversity (8VAC90-10-50)
GeorgeMasonUniversitybuildings (8VAC35-60-20)
Courthouses (§18.2-283.1)
DetentionFacilities (§15.2-915)
K-12 school grounds (CHP holders exempted for CC while in a vehicle; handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle also exempted.) (§18.2-308.1)
K-12schoolbuses. (§18.2-308.1)
Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§18.2-308.1)
Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§18.2-287.01)
Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)
Restaurants & clubs: CC prohibited while consuming alcoholic beverages (§18.2-308.J3)
Private property when prohibited by owner (§18.2-308.O &
trespass violation)

4. No permit is required to open carry

Check out the Virginia Citizens Defense league. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in Virginia. If you go to their website you can sign up for the VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. the website is www.vcdl.org

Last edited:

sysadmin

Thank you. I know in SC the CC laws were very well spelled out. Trying to find the OC laws clearly spelled out has not been easy. I just want to make sure I dont get slapped with a felony while carrying around here....

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thank you. I know in SC the CC laws were very well spelled out. Trying to find the OC laws clearly spelled out has not been easy. I just want to make sure I dont get slapped with a felony while carrying around here....

In VA you will find that laws are written to prohibit actions. Therefore you won't find any laws explicitly stating that OC is legal in VA. Since no law prohibits it, it is legal. I think you will find OC in VA very easy. It is fairly well accepted throughout the entire state.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to Virginia and OCDO. Besides just joining VCDL, go to the gun shows and hang out at the VCDL table. You will learn quite a bit just listening to the questions posed and answers provided. Keep your eyes open for open-carry dinners and other events in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area and go meet your fellow OCers. Keep posing questions here - you will probably get more detailed answers than you thought possible.

Out of curiosity, where did you used to hang your hat before coming to Virginia? It sounds like you were in SC. I think you will like the difference being here.

stay safe.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Others have mentioned that there is no law specifically PERMITTING open carry, only that no law has ever made it specifically illegal. Correct as far as it goes, but I think everyone should remember that our Virginia constitution, in Art. 1, sec. 13 clearly states that the citizens have a right to keep and bear arms. Bearing arms means carrying them openly, since CC is a privilege that requires a permit. The nice thing is that most Virginians take their constitution seriously, as opposed to many other Americans regarding the federal one. I just remind people that we are not living on federal soil; we live in the sovereign commonwealth of VA, and with the exception of a conflict with federal laws, our laws apply!

Sysadmin, welcome to Va and OCDO!

Join VCDL!

Last edited:

sysadmin

I just moved here not too long ago from Greenville SC where I held a CWP. It was clear that the laws in SC were very plainly spelled out. Right down to the size and lettering of the sign prohibiting concealed carry. Because of that I am very hesitant to start OC here with out making 100% sure I'm not going to get thrown in jail with a gun charge.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just moved here not too long ago from Greenville SC where I held a CWP. It was clear that the laws in SC were very plainly spelled out. Right down to the size and lettering of the sign prohibiting concealed carry. Because of that I am very hesitant to start OC here with out making 100% sure I'm not going to get thrown in jail with a gun charge.

You should go to one of the OC dinners in your area. For the most part, the folks in your area are great people.
If you want, come up to Richmond. The dinners here are the second Tuesday of each month.
I often drive 100 miles for it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How do I get Involved with this?

The OC Dinners (and other events) welcome everyone. Generally they are announced here. This is the meeting place and news service for many of us.
Hopefully TJ or one of the others in the neighborhood will jump in. If not, PM me and I'll check on their next date....or, as I said, ours are every month and there will be a sticky with the location.

You don't have to carry, most of us do but a few, my wife included, rarely do. The idea is to get together with like minded and enjoyable people and we almost always convert someone passing by.

sysadmin

The OC Dinners (and other events) welcome everyone. Generally they are announced here. This is the meeting place and news service for many of us.
Hopefully TJ or one of the others in the neighborhood will jump in. If not, PM me and I'll check on their next date....or, as I said, ours are every month and there will be a sticky with the location.

You don't have to carry, most of us do but a few, my wife included, rarely do. The idea is to get together with like minded and enjoyable people and we almost always convert someone passing by.

One more question I thought of...

signs that prohibit the carry of a firearm (CC or OC)....
is there a law stating what kind and size or can it be a hand written piece of scratch paper stuck to a door?