• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do with the hot head cop?

rugerr1

Ok, being as I am new to this oc, what do you do if you have a rookie or a hot head that does not know about oc, or does not agree with it what ever the case may be and they question you or what ever they might feel like they want to do. How would you go about handeling it with out Pi^$ing them off and they take you to jail on some BS charge and waste your time for a lock up and end up with some sort of record. I am not against the cops I realize they are in a dangerous line of work and they must be careful, but at the same time I dont want harrasment, just to be left alone and go about my buisness.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
you ****. simple.

Am I being detained? No? then leave. Yes? Then **** and speak to a lawyer.

why is s t f u blocked out? are we that sensitive now? like people see 4 letters that don't even spell out the words and go *GASP* Someone put an acronym on the internet? OH GOD I'M SO OFFENDED, CALL THE PRESS

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Even when stating and doing the above as mentioned by Schlitz, it is very important to remain calm and as peaceable even it takes a lot of self control.

They are going to use some boiler plate words to describe you as "uncooperative" anyway, but don't give them or a judge or a potential jury any excuse to believe the cop was telling the truth.

Also research the cop google is great see if there has been other instances posted about him. It's how I found out that Lt. Slodysko doesn't have a great rep with some. And that deputies Freeman and Vanderveen have seem to have committed perjury.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
They are going to use some boiler plate words to describe you as "uncooperative" anyway, but don't give them or a judge or a potential jury any excuse to believe the cop was telling the truth.

absolutely, don't give them any "ammunition" to use against you. stop and think to yourself, what would Arthur Fonzerelli do in this situation?

fonzie.jpg

be cool.

rugerr1

I agree even if you arent doing anything wrong and they dont have the right to stop you you should keep your cool, it will only help you. But my concern is some cop who has had a bad day or dosent know the law takes me to jail just because he can. Then I have to spend all this time and money I dont have because of his stupidity. I guess it is just a chance you have to take when you oc. Do many people get taken to jail over this or is it a rare thing? I mean as long as they arent acting stupid an getting smart with the police.

hermannr

You need to bring this up in the Alabama? foum. They know their law and their town's police forces.

SVG and I are both from WA. SVG has had a run-in in Bellingham, and he trimmed their feathers (and the county's pocketbook) a bit (use of Lawyer, some lawyers with do this stuff on contingency.)

Personally, I have never had a problem, but then I do not live in the city, and rarely go to any city. (if at all possible) I have been "talked" to (or contacted) by the Sheriff of a neighboring county one time many years ago. They had received a MWAG call while I was in a grocery store. The contact consisted of two words: Deputy "hunting", me "ya", OC with a 6" Colt revolver in a full cover hunting holster.

DocWalker

I would say it is a rare thing for someone that is not doing anything illegal to be taken in and put in jail. If it was common there would be a lot of weathy people and poor very very poor city's out there. More than there are, you would also have a lot of ex cops in the unemployment line.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would say it is a rare thing for someone that is not doing anything illegal to be taken in and put in jail. If it was common there would be a lot of weathy people and poor very very poor city's out there. More than there are, you would also have a lot of ex cops in the unemployment line.

I would also say it is a rare thing. I have been open carrying all over the state of Virginia for the last four year and I have never had a negative encounter with a police officer. I am sure the OC awareness level of police officers varies from state to state. I think it seems like there are a lot of situations beause of all the negative experiences that people have shared here. However if you average that with the number of people who have carried without incident, I think the negative encounter rate is probably quite low.

rugerr1

@ thebigsd....thanks did not really think of it like that. In my personal opinon of oc I think it is much more a deterent to a criminal, you dont present your self as a easy target. As I said I dont want to be harassed by police and by no means is it a political move or trying to bait a cop so I can try and sue the county, I just want to keep my family safe and deter any would be thug from doing harm to myself or my family.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What you do with the hotheaded cop is pretty much basic. You don't give them any more ammunition to mess with you.

BTW, you are carrying a digital recorder and it is turned on? And you have practiced with it, finding out just how well it picks up everyday conversation and where is the best place to carry it so that it records everything? Good for you.

The basic suggestion to find out f you are being detained leads you to the next step. If you are not being detained you want to remove yourself from the cop and the situation. You can go make your formal written complaint after you get out of hs AO - it's just not possible to do it standing there arguing with him. If you are in fact detained you need to remember that anything you say can and will be used against you - and that applys to things you say before they read you your Miranda/Edwards rights as well as afterwards.

Not arguing with the cop is a good idea. Not resisting (at least physically) is an even better idea, as all that will do is make them want to use compliance techniques, most of which are painful. Since you are recording this (see above) you can and should say that you do not consent to being searched or to having your handgun seized. It probably will not be worth much later on, but it often makes you feel better at the moment. (If the detention/search/seizure as unconstitutional it does not matter if you verbally objected to it or not - it was still unconstitutional.)

If you are detained/arrested it is usually a good idea to give them your basic ID info - usually (but your state laws may differ) this involves merely stating your name and where you live (name of city/county or your actual residential address) if for no other reason than to avoid sitting in a jail cell waiting (either hours or days) for the FBI to get back to the cops with whatever information they have on you based on your fingerprints. If you are detained/arrested you should state in no uncetain terms that you want to consult with an attorney - whether or not the cops ask you any questions. Then shut up unless it is necessary to seek medical attention or request to use the facilities to poop/pee.

I know it hurts emotionally and intellectually to have a cop tell you things that are not true, but I still cannot fathom why folks want to stand on the sidewalk arguing law with them. I can understand trying to explain what happened before they arrived so they might understand that you do not need to be detained/arrested. My experience (yes, anecdotal, not data) is that cops have pretty much made up their mind to issue a ticket/arrest by the time they step out of their car. It's not always right and it is always a pain to have to deal with, but arguing the law with a cop rarely ever improves your situation. It's probably better in the long run to suffer initially and then sue them.

stay safe.

woodye85741

card carrying CCW

Even when stating and doing the above as mentioned by Schlitz, it is very important to remain calm and as peaceable even it takes a lot of self control.

Also research the cop google is great see if there has been other instances posted about him. It's how I found out that Lt. Slodysko doesn't have a great rep with some. And that deputies Freeman and Vanderveen have seem to have committed perjury.
How about having a laminated card with state statute regulation CCW and the exact wording of such law in very small print.
Hand the card to hothead cop and you then smile saying " ignorance of the law is No excuse "!

Kirbinator

Oooh, I like that.

But in my state, ignorance of the law on the part of the LEA/LEO is an excuse. In AL, a police officer doesn't have to be able to quote the exact section or number of code when he makes the arrest.

I'd cite, but I can't remember what the magic phrase is. It was a pistol arrest, and the person resisted because he didn't think it was a lawful arrest.