• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I was reading the Ashland daily today and they had a small article about a former ksu student who handled a handgun in a student lounge and I assume it was at the college. He was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon on school property, yet 237.115 states a college can ban firearms on their property, "although I don't understand how public universities can do so", but it doesn't constitute a criminal offense. Did the paper get their information wrong? Or was he actually charged with this even though he wasn't on k-12, daycare, or childcare facility?

neuroblades

I was reading the Ashland daily today and they had a small article about a former ksu student who handled a handgun in a student lounge and I assume it was at the college. He was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon on school property, yet 237.115 states a college can ban firearms on their property, "although I don't understand how public universities can do so", but it doesn't constitute a criminal offense. Did the paper get their information wrong? Or was he actually charged with this even though he wasn't on k-12, daycare, or childcare facility?

From WYMT's website:

"FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - A former Kentucky State University student who pulled a handgun in a crowded student center has been sentenced to three years of probation.

Franklin Circuit Judge Thomas Wingate issued the sentence for 25-year-old Christopher Sims on Friday after assurances that he would get long-term psychiatric care and live with his mother in Mississippi, according to The State Journal (http://bit.ly/qW9bZW).

Sims pleaded guilty but mentally ill in June to several charges including unlawful possession of a weapon on school property. He was arrested March 2, 2010 after police say he threatened to kill everyone in KSU's student center cafeteria"

Yes, if this is the case you're talking about, I'd definitely say that he was guilty and he knew it, this was a criminal act!

SOURCE: http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headli...gets_probation_in_handgun_case_130106883.html

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I agree he was absolutely guilty, but of what? Terroristic threatening?, carrying a concealed weapon? He was at a post secondary school, and having a handgun on such property doesn't constitute unlawful possession, the only punishment could be the school suspending him or dismissing him academically. I just don't see how this charge stuck????

Tmhrr

I don't think the charge of unlawful possession on school property should have applied in this case either.

But it says in the article that he plead guilty to it, didn't give it a chance to stick just accepted it with all of his other charges.

Could have even been part of a plea deal

neuroblades

I think whoever wrote that article didn't do a very good job of research. What's new about that? You still have to read the article carefully, "Sims pleaded guilty but mentally ill in June to several charges". If he "threatened to kill everybody" that is enough of a crime to get convicted. He wasn't in a position to argue much. He got probation, if he wanted to be a hard ass about the details he could win the argument and get five years in prison. We can argue the small points of gun possession, but only if we are completely innocent of a crime. If we're guilty of even the smallest infraction it's best to say "Yes sir" then shut up, not argue, and hope for the best.

Chances are my POV will be a very unpopular one but according to the story, as I read it, he threatened to kill everybody in the student center, I think it read. That's terroristic threatening and in my book as a former professional, this guy deserved what he got and then some. I'm all for our 2nd Amendment Rights and will fight to the end for them but when someone like this goes off and does something like this, I'm all for coming down hard on them as well. Of course he copped a "mental insanity" plea, which I'm seriously opposed to and have been disqualified from sitting on these kinds of cases in court.