• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Football

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So I figure we need at least one thread about Football. So here it is. Talk about college or the NFL or both.

I like the Redskins. I am surprised that they are 2-0 at this point. I think the game next week against the Cowboys will be the real test of the new Redskins team. If Grossman can work on his awareness level, the Redskins should do well this season.

In college football I am an LSU fan. I have liked them for a long time and think they have a great coach in Les Miles. (Secretly wish they had kept Saban) Next week they face a tough game against West Virginia but I think they will win decisively.

So who do you all like and why? And let's remember to keep the discussion civil.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Born and raised Green Bay Packer fan here. When I was little you could hear my Grandmother screaming at the game from 2 blocks away. I've been to Lambeau twice; once for a Rams game and once, a couple of years ago for a Cowboys game. I can't even describe the feeling of walking into Lambeau field; it's like a religious experience, it's hallowed ground. Even when I'm watching a game on T.V. my heart gets to beating so fast during the kickoff that I think I've got something wrong with me. So yes, I'm a die-hard fan.

As far as college, I'm a Badger fan of course but I don't get quite as excited unless I'm actually at Camp Randal stadium. That's worth the experience at least once. They have a tradition of playing "Jump Around" and everyone in the stadium does it, in time. The whole place doesn't just shake, but literally moves and you'd think the stadium would come down. The "5th quarter" can be a lot of fun too. Other than that, I don't pay a lot of attention to college ball.

This year, for the first time, I've gotten into fantasy football. I'm not sure I like what it's doing to me. It may not be healthy....LOL I kicked butt my first week but got blown out last week because of the stupid Bronco's coach and his last minute Brandon Lloyd info. I left more points on my bench than I got with my starters.:banghead:

SFCRetired

Only three honest-to-goodness truly amateur college football teams in the nation for my money; West Point, Annapolis, and Colorado Springs.

Who do I scream for? GO ARMY!!! BEAT NAVY AND AIR FORCE!!!! What did you expect from a retired Sergeant First Class?

If any other college team had to meet the academic, height, and weight standards of those young men, you wouldn't have many college teams.

War story: Some years back, Army played Auburn. The lightest man on Auburn's line outweighed the heaviest on Army's. Yeah, Auburn beat them. By exactly one point. Not Auburn's finest hour.

In this state, those who cheer for the University of Alabama say that Auburn is an acronym: Alabama Usually Beats Us Round November. Guaranteed to start a fight in any bar close to Auburn University.

The other way to start a fight is to ask why they put AstroTurf in Jordan-Hare Stadium. The answer: to keep the Auburn cheerleaders from grazing.

Of course, if I'm talking to my son, a die-hard Alabama fan, I change the jokes to Alabama jokes. All good clean fun.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Only three honest-to-goodness truly amateur college football teams in the nation for my money; West Point, Annapolis, and Colorado Springs.

If any other college team had to meet the academic, height, and weight standards of those young men, you wouldn't have many college teams.

I was discussing this with some friends the other day as USAFA was playing a college team. Most college players do not have height/weight restrictions placed on them to meet certain standards of their military service. USAFA doesn't have 350-lb linesmen because they would be kicked out of the Academy for failing to adhere to the fitness testing profiles.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
In oder of importance:

Go Western Michigan University. (BS 1986)

Go Bowling Green State University (MS 1993)

Go Michigan State University. (Family history)

Go Lions! (It's Michigan)