• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County buildings & vehicles/libraries

chrsjhnsn

can an employee carry on county prop? what about visitors?
I see signs that say no firearms but I am suspicious about whether its like the DMV where the door says no firearms but
they cite the NRS code that specifically relates to concealed.

I was off duty as a security guard when I first moved to Reno a few yrs ago and was told I had to leave the library due to open carry, this was the main library near downtown on Center. I'm to broke to hire an attorney-anyone have any experience?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The county doesn't have the authority to make it's own firearm regulations. Per state law, a government building with a sign banning concealed carry makes concealed carry unlawful, but the signs do not restrict open carry, in my opinion. While many government organizations respect the law, other organizations like the Sherrif's office do not and will probably require a court case to stop them from trying to regulate guns where they have no authority.

202.3673 - Restricts Concealed carry.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673

County cannot make regulations:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-244.html#NRS244Sec364

Note that certain places have gun bans per 202.265 (schools, universities, child care facilities) and there is a law regarding guns in the legislative building.

Last edited: