Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask an officer before private sale?

Ask an officer before private sale?

WI law has no reqs on private sale, but being responsible, I thought I might ask a leo a simple yes or no blessing on purchaser/trader.

I have a couple church buddies who are leos...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Kahr CW9 time
    Last edited by XD40-OD; 09-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Poor Obama. All this time, he thought he had been placed in charge of the GovernMINT.

Boys and girls call 911
    Men and Women call 1911

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40-OD View Post
    WI law has no reqs on private sale, but being responsible, I thought I might ask a leo a simple yes or no blessing on purchaser/trader.

I have a couple church buddies who are leos...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Kahr CW9 time
    I believe most police department frown on their employees running background checks unofficially. If you want to be covered, just go to a dealer and do the transfer there. Otherwise, ask for photo ID and have them sign a bill of sale stating that they aren't a prohibited person.

Modern systems log every check they run, and I doubt anybody wants that kind of record. Gone are the days of running a cute girl's tag for the fun of it.

Some people only sell to people they know, some never sell to people they know. My last private sale was to a guy walking around a gun show. Clean cut, spoke English well, wasn't fidgety, and was carrying barely enough to buy with his buddy's help. I figure that very few straw buyers would be looking to buy a mid-priced, 20 year old 9mm for all the cash in their wallet.

One of the forum members, User, is an attorney and has made this bill of sale available for everyone to use. It is not VA specific.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuf...ransferBOS.PDF

As for asking an LEO friend to run a background check, I also agree that it is not a good idea. If you get a bad vibe off of someone you are considering selling to then stop the sale and find a new buyer. Good luck!!
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-20-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

It's an older gentleman with a long history of firearms. Very mild mannered.

I'm certainly not worried, just being responsible.

Thanks for the file link !!
    Poor Obama. All this time, he thought he had been placed in charge of the GovernMINT.

Boys and girls call 911
    Men and Women call 1911

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    I don't know how it is in every state, but in NC we can go to the county courthouse and pay $25 to pick up a copy of our own criminal record. If I was selling to someone I didn't know well I'd add that to the list of paperwork to be reviewed by the seller before I'd release the firearm to the purchaser. Make sure it's current too.
    Last edited by Large Caliber Kick; 09-20-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40-OD View Post
    It's an older gentleman with a long history of firearms. Very mild mannered.

I'm certainly not worried, just being responsible.

Thanks for the file link !!
    Does he look like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1pres.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	6962

Or this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben100bill.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	6963

...Both look mild-mannered, but I assure you they're rabble-rousers and not to be trusted with weapons!!

/Signed:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	george3_sig.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	6964
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 09-20-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Does he look like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1pres.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	6962

Or this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben100bill.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	6963

/sig/ King George

...Both look mild-mannered, but I assure you they're rabble-rousers and not to be trusted with weapons!!
    LOL

well played

I'm especially comfortable since it's a trade.

Already printed two copies of the pdf

Boys and girls call 911
    Men and Women call 1911

I'm not sure just what all the DoJ looks upto do a background check but you can go to the following web site and check his court records.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl On the opening screen you must click on the I agree button in order to get to the search page.
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 09-20-2011 at 06:53 PM.

After November 1, 2011, a seller can rely on a WI Permit to insure the buyer is not a prohibited person. (A UT permit is even better because UT is one of the BATF "Super Six" states that do a background check every single day for every UT Permit holder; regardless of state of residency.)
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

McX
    Rule number one; Dont talk to the cops.

Addendum to rule number one.

Don't talk to cops. Unless they are paying clients.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Addendum to rule number one.

Don't talk to cops. Unless they are paying clients.

like Madison?!

Well played Sir.

I meant actual clients that pay for your professional services.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

McX
    Handy, i must say, at this point i have indeed missed you. we must sometime this month make the sojourn to Lizzy's. i hear the lounge will be open soon...........heh-heh.
    Last edited by McX; 09-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Two CCers walk into a bar. You'd think the second guy would have seen it!

Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i hear the bar will be open soon...........heh-heh.
    Remember to get permission before open carry in a bar.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    The owner has given us permission to carry at will in his facility.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    Handy, i must say, at this point i have indeed missed you. we must sometime this month make the sojourn to Lizzy's. i hear the bar will be open soon...........heh-heh.
    Its been open. I have tasted their wares.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

That's not entirely true Paul.

The owners actually insist we join them after our meal. They do not take no for an answer. I have never had so many iced coffees in my life!

The Bar is very nice. Adam did a great job. I had a beer while wearing a side arm. I do not recall blood running red in the streets. It is nice to be old and still have a first time!

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    That's not entirely true Paul.

The owners actually insist we join them after our meal. They do not take no for an answer. I have never had so many iced coffees in my life!

The Bar is very nice. Adam did a great job. I had a beer while wearing a side arm. I do not recall blood running red in the streets. It is nice to be old and still have a first time!

The beer is cold...like beer should be.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

In fancy glassware and from some strange and far off lands...!
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Yes Mother. Do they serve Romulan Ale?

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    The owner has given us permission to carry at will in his facility.
    we will need to envoke our personnas; Western hats, card game, black powder pistols on the table. Got any 3's?............Go fish.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    One of the forum members, User, is an attorney and has made this bill of sale available for everyone to use. It is not VA specific.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuf...ransferBOS.PDF

As for asking an LEO friend to run a background check, I also agree that it is not a good idea. If you get a bad vibe off of someone you are considering selling to then stop the sale and find a new buyer. Good luck!!
    I've used this bill of sale before, and it's very well written. As someone pointed out to me before when I posted similar questions, I'll quote him directly "Go armed".
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast