• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask an officer before private sale?

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
WI law has no reqs on private sale, but being responsible, I thought I might ask a leo a simple yes or no blessing on purchaser/trader.

I have a couple church buddies who are leos...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Kahr CW9 time

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

WI law has no reqs on private sale, but being responsible, I thought I might ask a leo a simple yes or no blessing on purchaser/trader.

I have a couple church buddies who are leos...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Kahr CW9 time

I believe most police department frown on their employees running background checks unofficially. If you want to be covered, just go to a dealer and do the transfer there. Otherwise, ask for photo ID and have them sign a bill of sale stating that they aren't a prohibited person.

nonameisgood

Modern systems log every check they run, and I doubt anybody wants that kind of record. Gone are the days of running a cute girl's tag for the fun of it.

Some people only sell to people they know, some never sell to people they know. My last private sale was to a guy walking around a gun show. Clean cut, spoke English well, wasn't fidgety, and was carrying barely enough to buy with his buddy's help. I figure that very few straw buyers would be looking to buy a mid-priced, 20 year old 9mm for all the cash in their wallet.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
One of the forum members, User, is an attorney and has made this bill of sale available for everyone to use. It is not VA specific.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuff/Documents/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.PDF

As for asking an LEO friend to run a background check, I also agree that it is not a good idea. If you get a bad vibe off of someone you are considering selling to then stop the sale and find a new buyer. Good luck!!

Last edited:

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
It's an older gentleman with a long history of firearms. Very mild mannered.

I'm certainly not worried, just being responsible.

Thanks for the file link !!

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I don't know how it is in every state, but in NC we can go to the county courthouse and pay $25 to pick up a copy of our own criminal record. If I was selling to someone I didn't know well I'd add that to the list of paperwork to be reviewed by the seller before I'd release the firearm to the purchaser. Make sure it's current too.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

It's an older gentleman with a long history of firearms. Very mild mannered.

I'm certainly not worried, just being responsible.

Thanks for the file link !!

Does he look like this?1pres.jpg

Or this:

Ben100bill.jpg

...Both look mild-mannered, but I assure you they're rabble-rousers and not to be trusted with weapons!!

/Signed:george3_sig.jpg

Last edited:

jpm84092

After November 1, 2011, a seller can rely on a WI Permit to insure the buyer is not a prohibited person. (A UT permit is even better because UT is one of the BATF "Super Six" states that do a background check every single day for every UT Permit holder; regardless of state of residency.)

M

McX

Handy, i must say, at this point i have indeed missed you. we must sometime this month make the sojourn to Lizzy's. i hear the lounge will be open soon...........heh-heh.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

That's not entirely true Paul.

:)

The owners actually insist we join them after our meal. They do not take no for an answer. I have never had so many iced coffees in my life!

The Bar is very nice. Adam did a great job. I had a beer while wearing a side arm. I do not recall blood running red in the streets. It is nice to be old and still have a first time!

:banana:

Last edited: